Page 112 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2758

Thread: [Deck] Armageddon Stax

May 2006
    Philippines

Re: [Deck] Armageddon Stax

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle.Wire View Post
    hmn by cc 2 it sounds pretty fair, but i think i definitly gonna run 3 smokestack also.. another question as i saw people cutting oblivion ring to the sideboard i thought of using oblation, i read about it some pages ago but there was not much said about it but i like the idea of rescue a permanent or just remove a threat and let them draw the 2 cards instead of losing to it.
    @Tangle.Wire
    I suggest trying suppression field first before decide to put it on the SB slot. Its is 1st turn bomb to some decks. Actually the mishra and exalted angels are backup win condition. Your real win condition here is Magus. Stax is not a fast deck, you need to control the board first before you start pounding your opponent.

An early wasteland by your opponent on your turbo lands will really hurt you and you don't need to kill your opponents lands early since you have a geddon to sweep them. If you didn't notice it stax's mana base is very fragile.

As for the 1 kor haven and nomad stadium you don't need it that much its just a tech card, if you don't feel like playing them replace with plains.

As for the exalted and baneslayer angel issue, if have access to BSA i would pick BSA over exalted but if you don't its the best support creature for stax at the moment. Again your finisher here is magus of the tabernacle and NOT the angels or the factories. The factories are just blockers and later on can act as finishers aswell. Stax is all about board position and board control.

As for the oblivion ring issue, well yes orings are nice main board and you have some sort of temporary removal but suppression field is much better for me.

Banned

Mar 2010
    Unwanted islands

Feb 2009
    Germany, NRW

Quote Originally Posted by Xaul Zan View Post
    looks nice, defintly better for this deck than the vial but i think elspeth is still better than him so i would play a 3rd elspeth over gideon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle.Wire View Post
    looks nice, defintly better for this deck than the vial but i think elspeth is still better than him so i would play a 3rd elspeth over gideon.
    In a deck like this, you have the resources to keep your planeswalkers alive for a while, so I might split him 2 Elspeth 1 Gideon. The added creature kill ability is nice, he can buy you time against your opponent or clear their blockers, and he beats harder than Elspeth. I kinda like him.
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Last saturday I went to a 98 people tournament with stax. I droped after losing the fourth time in the 5th round because mulligans and bad draws.

The first round I win against a survival deck. Then I remember losing against a locked canadian deck with trinisphere and chalice @1 because I do myself more than 15 damage in each game since I didn't draw a non-damage land, only drawed canopies and tombs. Then I losed against rock survival for not draw lands in the first round, only see goyfs in this match. In the second game I losed against a lone topdecked gaddock teeg because I side out the orings since I reconigze him as some kind of eva green player in first round XD. In the fourth round I losed against a weird survival combo deck for draw poorly and because (another time) teeg with orings out. Finally in the fifth round I losed against merfolks, bad draws and bad playing since I was thinking of go home.

Last time I go with stax I have a good day winning 5 times (14th of 92 people). This time I dropped after lost 4 times. This deck its too dependant of luck, and then, if you have a good hand always opponent could play first turn hierarch and then its the same that you start with trinisphere or suppresion they could play second turn land and do everthing.

Anyway, this time I tested 2 cards that I enyojed a lot, the first one was aven mindcensor, I think that has a lot of potential. In the 5 rounds I played against 3 survival decks and this guy is a bomb against them. I remember win a game against a survival combo deck (with led and kor that puts artifacts in play) playing 3 of them. Was a five minutes match heheh

The second card I tested was wash out. The problem is that I don't have results because always I draw it, there was a teeg in play too XD. I think that could be a good tech against tribal decks and survival.

PS: Some one could put the text of this card? I can't see the picture since the proxy at work heheh

Feb 2009
    Germany, NRW

planeswalker 3WW

+2 creatures attack the walker next turn if possible
    -2 destroy target tapped creature
    -0 becomes 6/6 cho manno until end of turn

i also thought about 2 elspeth and him 1 time.

I thought the aven mindscensor is already common played on stax, but i always feel like effects like that or shadow of doubt (i played this but will compare the effekt) won't hurt survival that much as its a single effekt but it should work out great against natural order right?

Dec 2009
    Michigan

I really like Gideon, however im not sure his assasinate ability would come down quick enough against aggro builds. Stax just needs to survive the early game in order to get there. He just seems a little to slow.

As far as Mindscencer goes, I thought about play testing it but I can think of many other things I would rather be playing than trying to stop my opponent from fetching. It doesn't even always stop what their searcing for.

I agree al-ucard that every hand matters a great deal. Not being able to tutor for our silver bullets or our pieces really hurts this deck a lot. I have been trying to think of a way to fix the problem. I have to say that I too have been beaten silly by my own lands. Thats why I run only one Horizon Canopy instead two like I originally did. tombs are a blessing and a curse. Hopefully rise gives us more of the pieces we need to take this deck over the top.

Banned

Mar 2010
    Unwanted islands

elspeth also makes gideon a 9/9 flyer. I figured the creature destroy ability would be used on the little fuckers that they might not always attack into magus with. like maybe a meddling mage named on crucible/armageddon or something.

Dec 2009
    Michigan

That seems like a BSC. Meddling Mage doesnt really see any play anymore. I think that for a CMC of five I would rather run out a Baneslayer. She beats and with elspeth becomes an 8/8 with lifelink. That seems way more swingy.

new artifact:
    6 to cast
    tap: add 3
    3,tap,sac: draw 3

seems like it might be good with metal worker more so than this deck.
    Women love men with an air of mystery about them, and nothing adds that to a guy quite like a ball-gag with a hello kitty picture on it.

Team DonkeyPunch

Dec 2009
    Michigan

Its just not enough for us here. I like the card but I'll have to pass.

agreed, it doesn't fit in a white stax build very well. we cant recur the effect and it is on the expensive side. you would need something like welder/ academy ruins to make it work.
    Women love men with an air of mystery about them, and nothing adds that to a guy quite like a ball-gag with a hello kitty picture on it.

Team DonkeyPunch

For anyone doing dutch stax, what of Mirri's Guile?
    Sure it's a one drop, but the reach can provide consistency.

Dutch Stax does have its own thread...

However, the problems with Mirri's Guile:
    1) it requires early green mana, something this deck cannot guarantee
    2) it's a one-drop, which gets worse due to Chalice and Trinisphere
    3) Sensei's Divining Top is pretty much just better, and we never played that
    4) We don't have the shuffle effects (fetchlands) to abuse Top as well as the decks that do play it.
    5) We probably don't have the time to play it-- wasting an early turn on a Guile means you need a lot more than the benefit that Guile provides.

Feb 2009
    Germany, NRW

i have a little question for humility as i had no time to search ruling forums, how do cards like stalking stones, chimeric idol or morphed creatures under humility? i am trying to run a mono w stax with them main but don't wanna have planeswalker as single win option beside factory.

Feb 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Factory still becomes a 2/2 under humility, it just looses its ability to tap to give +1/+1. Morphed creatures come in morphed as a 1/1 and can't be unmorphed.
    Team <spectacular

This is not entirely correct.

From the comprehensive rules:
    702.34a Morph is a static ability that functions in any zone from which you could play the card it's on, and the morph effect works any time the card is face down. "Morph [cost]" means "You may cast this card as a 2/2 face-down creature, with no text, no name, no subtypes, no expansion symbol, and no mana cost by paying {3} rather than paying its mana cost." (See rule 707, "Face-Down Spells and Permanents.")
    702.34d If you have priority, you may turn a face-down permanent you control face up. This is a special action; it doesn't use the stack (see rule 114). To do this, show all players what the permanent's morph cost would be if it were face up, pay that cost, then turn the permanent face up. (If the permanent wouldn't have a morph cost if it were face up, it can't be turned face up this way.) The morph effect on it ends, and it regains its normal characteristics. Any abilities relating to the permanent entering the battlefield don't trigger when it's turned face up and don't have any effect, because the permanent has already entered the battlefield.
    So, you can still turn face down creatures face up by paying their morph costs. Morph is not actually a written ability on the face-down card, so humility can't remove it.
    Last edited by Isei; 04-07-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Updated rules numbers

This game is not a democracy.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Quote Originally Posted by 4zureSky View Post
    This is my deck list today:
    Lands
    4 wasteland
    4 ancient tomb
    3 flagstone of trokair
    3 city of traitors
    1 kor haven
    1 karakas
    1 horizon canopy
    4 plains
    2 savannah
    Creatures
    3 Magus of the Tabernacle
    2 KoTr

Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Armageddon
    2 Ravages of War
    3 O. Ring
    4 Ghostly Prison
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Suppresion Field
    2 Smokestacks

I took out the mishra's because the suppresion fields got in the way, but now I have too little lands and need to push it back to 26 lands because I feel like I don't have enough from time to time. I think 26 lands is that magic number for stax. Im thinking of cutting one O.ring and one suppression field for 2 mishra's factory so that way I'll have more mana and I'll still have my suppressions for w/e I don't want my opponents to activate. Suggestions? Thanks!
    As a previous advocate of this deck, I like your list. You're right to start cutting Suppression Field and adding Factory back in, but cut all the Fields from the main and play 3 more lands. 2 Factories for sure and either a 3rd or the 4th City of Traitors. City is better with turn 1-2 Chalices. Otherwise use that slot as another 1-of utility land, seeing how you can use Knight to grab them. That utility land should depend on your metagame (Stadium for Burn, Maze for Reanimator, Tabernacle for aggro, what-have-you.)
    "Michael opens with Lotus Petal, Academy Ruins, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, and Stifle. I Force of Will the Stifle, but he has Force of Will backup. I Ponder on turn one and again on turn two, but fail to find a Swords to Plowshares before he has smashed me twice. " That's losing to Mike Sanchirico.

Team Bad Guys.

Aug 2009
    San Francisco, CA

Guys.. we have just received a new card for our stax! http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tc...erpa6xh_EN.jpg
    Stax, stax, stax.. JENNNNGAAAAA!!!

seems...meh...
    looks like a cheaper version of baneslayer but much worse until you pump another 11 mana into it.

Team DonkeyPunch

Thread Information