Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scam In Half

Re: Scam In Half

Gorex was sweet, but I don't think had enough oomf to keep around.

Last edited by FourDogsinaHorseSuit; 12-15-2023 at 11:53 AM.

So I had this list that I didn't use
    https://www.moxfield.com/decks/sSw8cJZWYE-xf_oC4psW8g
    Because I didn't get the mana and the cards right but you can see a lot of what I wanted to do they were able to pull off.
    Moved the discard, dauthis, and oppo agents to the side and using stompy mana to get to the 3s quickly.

I'm not sold on exsanguinator so I might bring some of that stuff back in, but my dream of dauthi into a scammed grief might have to die.
    I'm also not giving up on tower, although if I do I'm pretty sure then I own the whole deck

Sep 2011

Congrats on the Trophy!

Going red for Fury and Molten Collapse adds a lot more removal for fair matchups, seems good.

I like your Moxfield maindeck. It has a lot of synergies. I can see adding Fable (good card is good) and more lands (10 is low), but not sold on Exsanguinator Cavalry.

Not my trophy, I wish

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Going red for Fury and Molten Collapse adds a lot more removal for fair matchups, seems good.

I like your Moxfield maindeck. It has a lot of synergies. I can see adding Fable (good card is good) and more lands (10 is low), but not sold on Exsanguinator Cavalry.
    Right, fury collapse and bombardiers are great. Especially when you can feed a bombarded to it's other half, that's a lava axe!
    I don't know why they played calvary, it's not on my radar and looks really bad. I think I'd cut it entirely and bring back some of the items they moved to the SB.
    Or just play bolt.
    The d00m list was also light on land and it hurt it a few times so I wanted to run more lands and chrome mox persists (and can be fed to the bombarder for a shock)

Sep 2011

Maybe -4 Exsanguinator, +2 Thoughtseize (from SB) +2 Troll?

Or instead of Troll move 2 Voidwalker to main?

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I was watching one of his videos, mono black in this one, and he happened to talk about why he likes Calvary at the beginning. Basically, filtering, the fact that the token copies trigger off each other, and reanimating it for even more profit.

There are many cards that are stompy and good in multiples, but idk, that one doesn't seem good unless you have multiples.
    Like drogskul Captain is perfect cut in half, but

Sep 2011

Plague Engineer saws in half well.

2 1/1 deathtouch with -2/-2 to a tribe, or split to 2 different tribes. You get to change the tribe decision too.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    There are many cards that are stompy and good in multiples, but idk, that one doesn't seem good unless you have multiples.
    Like drogskul Captain is perfect cut in half, but
    I was expecting that if Saw in half were to be playable, it would be in a combo (i.e. with Dualcaster Mage to make infinite tokens) rather than in a more value oriented approach since - particularly in legacy - 3 mana is a lot for a card that also requires a body in play to do anything.

I imagine that it turns out to be too much of a color challenge to fit in a deck with the Fury/Grief package but Risen Reef would be a pretty strong thing to saw in half and also has some synergy with the scam elementals.

Sep 2011

You could build in the infinite token combo into a shell that also has fair uses for Saw (Grief, Fury). Some A+B combos do that, to reduce the variance from only drawing 1 piece in a non-Xerox deck.

That would also be the reason to play this combo. Otherwise you could just play Twin. Dualcaster + Saw needs 3RRB in one turn, I think, so it's not worth building around unless you have fair modes too.

Dualcaster can pitch to Fury, copy Reanimate, or Twincast-counter a FoW, so it would offer fair modes.

The combo with dcm is saw something else then hold priority and cast dcm , have the copy target itself?

The combo with dcm is saw something else then hold priority and cast dcm , have the copy target itself?
    Yeah. Dualcaster Mage copies Saw in Half with the copy targeting Dualcaster Mage. (The Dualcaster Mage effect is an etb ability so - at least by default - it's in play and can be targeted while the ability resolves.) Then the copy of Saw in Half resolves creating two 1/1 Dualcaster Mage tokens, each of which has an etb ability that can copy the original Saw in Half, which is still on the stack. Saw in half rounds up, so halving the tokens produces more 1/1s.

Sep 2011

Infinite flash 1/1s, but you need 3RRB in one turn, and the tokens don't have haste (cast on end step).

Twin is easier to assemble (can spread mana over 2 turns) and has haste, and is blue.

Sedgemoor Witch + Chain of Smog is infinite 1/1s for 3BB.

So to justify playing this combo you'd need to use A and B for their fair modes too. Otherwise it's just a worse token combo than unplayed Tier 3 combos. Luckily the fair modes are good. Grief & Fury also let you pitch unused combo pieces to scam.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Infinite flash 1/1s, but you need 3RRB in one turn, and the tokens don't have haste (cast on end step).

Twin is easier to assemble (can spread mana over 2 turns) and has haste, and is blue.

Sedgemoor Witch + Chain of Smog is infinite 1/1s for 3BB.

So to justify playing this combo you'd need to use A and B for their fair modes too. Otherwise it's just a worse token combo than unplayed Tier 3 combos. Luckily the fair modes are good. Grief & Fury also let you pitch unused combo pieces to scam.
    Didn't you just make this post like an hour before?

Sep 2011

Didn't you just make this post like an hour before?
    Guess it mostly repeated what I already said.

Dualcaster + Reanimate also works well with Bombardiers.

Bombardiers also gives a non-combat win with the infinite tokens.

I'll make a full write up later but:

This list made 9th atthe Jan 6 challenge
    https://www.mtgo.com/decklist/legacy...-01-0612603450

//Artifact (3)
    3 Chrome Mox
    //Creature (20)
    4 Broadside Bombardiers
    4 Fury
    4 Grief
    1 Oliphaunt
    2 Opposition Agent
    4 Orcish Bowmasters
    1 Troll of Khazad-dûm
    //Enchantment (4)
    4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
    //Instant (13)
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Saw in Half
    1 Snuff Out
    //Land (16)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain
    2 Swamp
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    //Sorcery (4)
    4 Reanimate

//Sideboard (15)
    2 Chalice of the Void
    2 Dauthi Voidwalker
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Feed the Swarm
    2 Null Rod
    3 Plague Engineer
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Sheoldred's Edict
    2 Trinisphere

I took the list, made a few changes, mostly to the sideboard, and went 2-1, splitting in the 'finals' with goblins. The loss was me keeping meme hands in a meaningless final match

My list:

//Artifact (3)
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 lotus petal
    Creature (20)
    4 Broadside Bombardiers
    4 Fury
    4 Grief
    1 Oliphaunt
    2 Dauthi Voidwalker
    4 Orcish Bowmasters
    1 Troll of Khazad-dûm
    //Enchantment (4)
    4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
    Instant (13)
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Saw in Half
    Land (16)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain
    2 Swamp
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Sorcery (4)
    4 Reanimate
    1 Molten collapse
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    2 Chalice of the Void
    2 Dauthi Voidwalker
    1 Feed the Swarm
    2 Karn the great Creator
    4 Leyline of sanctity
    1 helm of obedience

I was in a rush so I messed up the SB.
    It's supposed to have chalice and engineers.
    I don't own any oppo agents so I put two more Dauthi main.
    2-1 enchantress.
    Karn (the null rod I own) was able to plus on my reconfigured vehicles so they could attack, and stop his combo for infinite.
    Then I got to do the thing and triple grief
    2-1 storm
    Lost g1, they did not expect leyline g2, g3 leyline stopped the tendrils so they made gobbis putting a lot of good cards under dauthi. Dauthi used these good cards to cast fury and then saw it in half to just kill all the goblins (well, 12 of them, but attacking did the rest)
    0-2 gobbis
    G1 otd I kept a zero lander that had two rituals and two saw in half and both fury and grief so I took a chance and lost. G2 I fetched poorly and didn't get a second red to cast fury, and also I cast my red spell so I couldn't even evoke fury

Thread Information