• 2.2 The Sideboard
      • 2.3 Cards Previously Tested
      • 2.4 Other Cards Considered
    • 3.0 Playing the Deck
    • 4.0 Strengths and Weaknesses
    • 5.0 The Matchups
    • 6.0 Conclusion, Thanks and Lingering Questions
    1.0 Introduction and Background

I've always considered myself more of a deck developer than a designer; more of an engineer than an architect. I like to think I'm pretty good at working on the rough edges of a deck, at figuring out whether a card should be a 3-of or a 2-of, or which of two very close cards fits better in the overall game plan.

But coming up with something thoroughly new? Not my best skill, to be sure. I had made a lot of decks, like everyone, but those that didn't blow were always ports or alternative approaches to pre-existing archetypes.

Yet the CaNGD (I'll always put the D in there, sorry mods) was too tempting. And after all, I had managed over the last year to become at least a decent countermagic user from scratch - I could very well take a shot at creative deckbuilding, right?

So I kept a notepad (or Notepad) around more or less 24/7 for the last month, writing down anything I got that vaguely resembled an idea, and then firing MWS on it almost every other evening.

Deckbuilding is funny.

You come up out quite a few lists that all start from solidly estabilished design principles, that employ only the best cards in the format.

And they all suck. I'm not talking 'still somewhat inconsistent' suck, I'm talking "how can this Black/White board control deck with oodles of removal barely edge 50/50 against goddamn Threshold?" Or "ok, testing shows these Tarmogoyfs and Tombstalkers can indeed go the distance if my opponent does not play Landstill, Goblins, any combo, Stax, or Treefolk. Cool."

Then, during one of said MWS sessions, you pick up one of the most untested list you have lying in your N&D folder. Something built around a crap rare. You ask a testing partner to just indulge you for a couple of games, the time for his dual land-winning Threshold list to just point out why the concept can't work. At least it'll be a useful lesson.

And you thrash him. 9-1, if I recall correctly (preboard - there was no SB yet). You're incredulous, but hey, it feels great to have something to work with. You set yourself to the job: fixing the curve, rethinking the draw engine, nit-picking over silver bullets, testing different win conditions.

Until the final day comes, and you don't have any more time for fixin'. It's time to post and let the work be judged.

2.0 The List
    // Mana
    4 [UNH] Island
    2 [UNH] Plains
    1 [UNH] Swamp

3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    4 [ON] Polluted Delta

4 [PR] Tundra
    3 [PR] Underground Sea

2 [MR] Chrome Mox

// Dig
    3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    4 [PR] Brainstorm
    3 [VI] Impulse
    2 [RAV] Clutch of the Undercity

// Control
    4 [FNM] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [OD] Kirtar's Desire

3 [CS] Counterbalance
    1 [MOR] Declaration of Naught

1 [BOK] Threads of Disloyalty
    1 [10E] Story Circle
    2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring

2 [LG] Moat

4 [PR] Force of Will

// Win
    2 [LRW] Hoofprints of the Stag

3 [CS] Zur the Enchanter

1 [SC] Eternal Dragon

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
    SB: 4 Propaganda or Engineered Plague (see below)
    SB: 3 [PS] Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 [OD] Karmic Justice
    SB: 1 [UD] Replenish
    SB: 1 [TE] Aura of Silence
    SB: 1 [US] Back to Basics

2.1 The Cards

1) 2 Chrome Mox - I'll get flak for this one, so I might as well get it out of the way. I started with three, and I found out that while seeing one was often welcome, the second one practically never was. What made me pick the middle road instead of just cutting it out was that I tended to almost always cast the Mox on turn two or three - usually to get a faster Zur or Moat - and when I did, it was usually a fantastic play (T3 Moat vs. aggro, for example). So I just took the more careful step, and the dreaded double-mox draw got dialed down to a rare occurrence. As of now, I don't plan on giving up on the semi-frequent power boosts.

Also, for those who like arguments from authority, the "miser's Mox" (singleton) has been pretty popular in recent PTQ-winning Extended Doran lists, and has received the Flores Seal of Approval. So there.

2) Impulse - Originally it was Ponder, which in the abstract is the better card, being half the cost for 50-75% of the effect (depending on how much you value instant speed and cleaning the top of your library). But this left the curve too deep at 1cc and too shallow at 2, which was bad both for my own Counterbalance and for opposing Chalices. I started looking at 2cc options, and after a brief test of Think Twice (horribly expensive) I settled on Impulse, which proved to work lovely in a deck so full of conditionality. My only regret is that it doesn't fuel Hoofprints.

3) Zur the Enchanter - Mongoose-blocking ass, check. Resilient to non-StP removal, check (hello Demise, Smother, Bolt). Flies, check. Good Force and Mox pitch, check. Gets you every turn a [Counterbalance/unconditional removal/win condition/lock piece], for free? Hell yeah.

The main downside: a mighty 20-turn clock, so a kill condition in name only. That's why you run Hoofprints and Dragon, though. Besides, he's not much slower than Decree of Justice - though I guess that's no great accomplishment.

Incidentally: for those who aren't too familiar with the rules, Zur triggers upon attacking, which means that the trigger resolves and puts the enchantment into play (without giving your opp. a chance to respond) before blockers are declared. You can attack into a blocker, fetch an Oblivion Ring, a thresh'ed Kirtar's Desire, or even a Threads of Disloyalty (Serra Avenger, Stag tokens) and your Zur will go nicely unblocked.

4) Moat - I copied this opening post from Phantom (who copied it from Isamaru) so I'll just recycle his description: MVP. House. Fantastic. Wrecks Thresh. Wrecks Goblins. Can wreck Storm Combo (and I'm assuming it's very good vs. Ichy and Breakfast). Hurts Dragon Stompy. Annoys Landstill. It limits our options a bit as far a creatures go - ok, let's stop here, because the fun thing is that in this deck Moat doesn't limit my creature options at all. It just stops me from running manlands, which I don't really want to anyway.

Karach used to run 3 Clutches and a singleton Moat (along with other targets like Decree which eventually failed). But I hated losing games because the broken 2WW card got in my graveyard somehow, so I then experimented with a Clutch-less, three-Moat configuaration; this, however, negatively affected the deck's consistency too much. So I went back to Clutch, but cut one for a "backup" Moat.

5) Clutch of the Undercity - Lovely card. Fits beautifully in the curve. Keeps the deck consistent by fetching Zur, Moat, and the postboard silver bullet(s). Pitches nicely to Force and Mox. And no-one's better at bouncing Counterbalance EOT (with a complimentary Lava Spike), then dropping your own Counterbalance.

6) Oblivion Ring - I love this card. When designing a control deck, I tend to be a little paranoid and want to have a plan against everything: these critters let me run maindeck artifact/enchantment removal without running dead cards. Unlike Engineered Explosives, they don't blow up my own board and can be fetched with Zur.

And yes, you need two. Needle can be a bitch.

7) Counterbalance - This doesn't need explanation, just a little note that this isn't quite as insane as you're probably used to: the curve is 23/12/9/4/7/4/0/1, so it's still a bit short on the two-spot. On the plus side, it's unusually good at countering 4CC bastards like Enforcer, Dragon, Armageddon, Wrath, or FoF.

8) Declaration of Naught - By far the weakest spot in the deck, this nerfed Meddling Mage from Morningtide nonetheless fulfills a couple of critical roles preboard: it protects Karach's permanents from Pernicious Deed, and it stops the increasingly common recursion shenaningans: Life from the Loam, Academy Ruins, and sometimes Genesis.

I'm always tempted to just replace this one with Impulse or Sensei's Divining Top #4, both of which would be quite welcome. But even when it sucks, it's so easy to pitch to Force, Mox, or to Brainstorm away that you find it hard to be too angry at it.

9) Eternal Dragon - Having a nigh-unkillable win condition is nice and all, but the primary point of this card was to fill the gap between 23 mana sources (which was a bit tight) and 24 (a bit loose). A candidate for cutting in favour of a fourth Top, which fulfills a similar role as a pseudo-cantrip; however, I'd also be cutting 33% of my non-Zur, non-Threads win conditions, which makes me seriously nervous.

2.2 Sideboard Choices
    Extirpate - The presence of Clutch isn't a point in favour of Leyline, which is pretty terrible on turn 4. As usual, when piloting a control deck that always takes double-digit turns to win the game, I favour the versatile long-term card as my graveyard hate of choice.

Meddling Mage - Although it has a multitude of other uses, Krosan Grip is undoubtedly Pikula's #1 target. That bitch of a card can really steal your wins from nowhere, and Mage is the best way to deal with it we have - pity that Declaration of Naught isn't simply a triggered ability (no, Null Chamber isn't better, btw).

Other than that, anyone who's played 4C Landstill knows what a wonderful asset this guy is against basically anything that isn't aggro.

Engineered Plague vs. Propaganda - Really, this is a metagame choice. Mainly, Propaganda is considerably worse against Cephalid Breakfast and against Goblins, since they can still Siege-Gang or Sharpshoot you through it. On the plus side, it's better against Ichorid, and it's decidedly better against all other forms of aggro and aggro-disruption (from X-Stompy to Suicide Black), as well as against a shitload of decks where you won't bring either in anyway (Loam, Landstill, etc).

Pick one of them. If you put a gun to my head and asked me to give a default build, I'd go with 3 Propaganda and 1 Plague, because the latter can still be good even when tutored up with Zur in the mid-game.

Karmic Justice and Replenish - Also known as "Deed insurance". One is prevention and tutorable with Zur, the other is retribution and can be grabbed with Clutch. And that's it, really.

Back to Basics - A wrecking ball against difficult matchups like Landstill and Loam.

Aura of Silence - It itches a bit to have to just rely on 2 Oblivion Ring plus the countermagic suite to handle problematic permanents... but if you really have to cut something to fit in the fifth anti-aggro or anti-graveyard hate, or the fourth Mage, this is it.
    2.3 Cards Previously Tested
    Decree of Justice, Control Magic, Faith's Fetters, Cranial Extraction - Maindeck or sideboard silver bullets that didn't stand the test of consistency.

Sacred Mesa - Inferior to Hoofprints in every possible way and then some.

Engineered Explosives - Not so gamebreaking that I wanted to endure having to hold back permanents for them. Can still be made to fit in if you're worried about combo, though.

Wrath of God - It's not much that it kills Zur as much as that what Moat can't deal with, the spot removal suite can. It would take a lot of Vindicates running around to make me want to run this over more Moats.
    2.4 Other Cards Considered

Enlightened Tutor - I'm sure everyone who's made it this far has thought of the card. I have explored the uses of Tutor, which is a damn fine card. It brings the deck in an entirely different direction, which seems to ultimately end in ZviStill. Which is a frickin' powerful deck, surely better than this one... for a PT scene that was (supposed to be) swamped in Threshold and Landstill. It doesn't hold equally as well against a more varied metagame. But that's something for another thread.

Pernicious Deed - Okay, you think "enchantment with cc 3 or less" and you think of Deed. Understandable. But with Zur, you want a lot of cheap enchantments, and that is Very Bad with Deed. If you can think of a way around this conundrum, please let me know.

Idyllic Tutor - Blech.

3.0 Playing the Deck

This is a straightforward control deck - your aim is to stop your opponent from winning first and foremost. Moat and Counterbalance are the two pillars of this game plan, with Zur and Clutch solidifying it. Some random tips:

- If you have Top, go for Hoofprints early - a flying 4/4 every two turns is a nice clock, and can block well if needed.

- Do not play a turn 1 Chrome Mox unless you know what you're pitching and what you can do with the extra mana.

- If you have Top, conserve your cantrips for the purpose of Force pitching - you have plenty of shuffle effects that will show you new cards.

- Pay attention to your lands. If you expect to make use of Story Circle, remember to fetch lots of white.

4.0 Strengths and Weaknesses

Strength:
    - About as solid a manabase as you can wish for in a three-colour deck

- Overall strong Threshold matchup
    Weaknesses:

- Not as consistent as one might expect from a blue deck

- Susceptibility to board sweepers
    5.0 The Matchups

1) Threshold

Even if the breakout performance was partly a fluke, the subsequent testing has shown Karach to indeed have a very solid advantage against the king. Everything you do is extremely relevant, and you can fight them well on nearly every angle of attack: mana denial, Counterbalance, and creatures. Mongoose can be tough to answer, but you still have Moat, Circle: Green, a blocking Zur, or even a fetched (non-targeting) Threads. If they can't win before your 4th-5th land drop off sheer tempo, the game is all but yours.

I ran the deck mostly against my usual UGB list, but I've done a few matches vs. the recent MoonThresh one, too (though I'm not experienced or even comfortable with that style of Threshold). Blood Moon wasn't really a problem, between basics and Moxes, but multiple Fledgling Dragons were a pain in the ass; fortunately Counterbalance handles them better than usual.

SB guidelines (because no plan applies for both UGR BTStifleWaste and UGW NeedleBalance): Since they *always* bring in Grip, you want some Meddling Mages; Declaration of Naught automatically comes out. The other slots are to pick depending on what you face; I generally cut removal if I put them on a list with 10 or less creatures. Back to Basics is clearly insane if unexpected, but if they get the chance to fetch 2-3 basic lands it loses a lot of its power - sometimes it's better to take it out in G3.

Regardless of what you face, it's almost a given that their SB options will be better than yours, so you're more susceptible to lose G2 to some sort of blowout (like an unexpected Armageddon). I still pulled off positive numbers postboard, though.

2) Goblins

The objective in game 1 is a hard-lock with Moat and Story Circle both on the table (or, if Vial hasn't landed, Declaration of Naught naming Siege-Gang Commander); to that end you have a lot of targeted removal, but no sweepers, so pick your targets well. There's a bit of guesswork involved in choosing whether to spend your mana on killing Goblins or digging, but other than that you the matchup is very straightforward until you drop a lock piece and your opponent has to find a way around it. I'm 4-5 in testing, which seems about right with how I 'feel' the matchup. Note that the (Rb) list I used ran 3 Siege-Gang Commanders; if there are less of them, it should improve.

Postboard Zur becomes massively more important, because now it fetches multiple Plagues (or Propagandas), which means you are less scared of their few copies of Krosan Grip; also, they probably sided out their removal. The match shifts in your favour, because what you side out is useless crap, but it still didn't feel thoroughly solid to me (despite a 6-3 result).

SB: -3 Counterbalance, -1 Declaration of Naught, -1 Hoofprints of the Stag, +4 Plague, +2 Mage (for Grip and trading). If you use Propagandas, leave in the Declaration and at least one Ring (I'm not sure what to cut for those, though: maybe Top on the draw).

It feels awkward to bring Mage in, but Ring is darn slow, and it can save your Zur by eating a Weirding for the cause.

3) Landstill

It might be my bias towards control of all kinds, but I've found this matchup to be thoroughly enjoyable and very strategic. You're a moderate aggressor here, using your faster though less powerful draw spells to lay down lock pieces and get a grip of the game. Counterbalance, Zur, and Moat are your main threats; stick one of these and follow up with Hoofprints or Dragon (I realize this sounds statistically difficult, but this isn't happening on turn 1). Declaration of Naught absolutely shines here, shutting down at least half of their board sweepers.
    Interestingly, Clutch is often hardcast in this matchup, since even on turn 4 Boomeranging a land (and netting a free Spike) is a considerable tempo boost in a matchup like this one.

Overall, you're somewhat unfavoured pre-board (testing is 6-8 vs. 4C). I would expect the UWx version to be considerably easier to face, due to their lack of Pernicious Deed. Also, I don't run Tarmogoyf in my Landstill builds, but if they do then rejoice: it's a nice use for your removal, and it usually takes the place of extra countermagic or sweepers.

Sideboarding plan:
    -3 StP, -1 Story Circle, -1 Kirtar's Desire, -1 Threads of Disloyalty, -2 Oblivion Ring, -1 Moat; +1 Karmic Justice, +1 Replenish, +1 Back to Basics, +1 Aura of Silence, +2 Extirpate, +3 Meddling Mage; vs. UWx you can skip on Justice and Replenish. You may want to skip on the Extirpates in favour of StoP if they choose to bring Meddling Mages of their own in (which is IMO a mistake).

Post-side you have the same shell with much better tools: Back to Basics in particular is a wrecking ball, so protecting Zur for a turn becomes a much more interesting idea. Aside from that, with Mage and Extirpate in the picture, your gameplan can be summed as "Go for the sweepers, boo!". Counter them, Mage them, Extirpate them, Declarate them Naughty, threaten a counter-Armageddon, recover from them, whatever. Do this and you've gone a long-way towards winning your postboard game.

4) Belcher

By any standard of serious testing, this should be TES. But I can't play TES for shit, and I don't hang around with people evil enough to pilot that deck, so I just picked up the bot-deck to get something resembling a combo matchup to write about.

Surprise, surprise, what you have to do to win is: 1) Draw Force early; 2) Assemble CounterTop early. And that's about it, really. I've played a grand total of four pre-board games before getting bored; I suppose with a bit of math you could figure out your exact chances, if you wanted. They're not great preboard, anyway: you don't have a fast clock or board sweepers, other than a lucky turn 3 Moat.

SB: +3 Mage, +3 Extirpate, +4 Plague/Propaganda, +1 Aura of Silence, -4 StP, -1 Kirtar's Desire, -1 Threads, -1 Circle, -2 Moat, -2 Clutch of the Undercity

Postboard you get the 'hate bonus': I'll leave the exercise of figuring out the percentages to you, I'm honestly bored at the sole idea.

5) Ichorid

Game 1 you don't have great chances. Your relevant cards are Force, StP, and a quick Moat (which you must draw, because Transmuting automatically calls a Therapy); a few other cards can kill a zombie if need be. 3-7 in testing; with a better pilot than me it would almost certainly be worse.

Postboard you get your hate, but more importantly you get rid of the baggage. To be exact:

+4 Plague/Propaganda, +4 Extirpate, +2 Mage, -3 Counterbalance, -1 Kirtar's Desire, -1 Circle, -1 Declaration, -1 Threads, -2 Oblivion Ring, -1 Hoofprints

As a guideline, Extirpate is for Bridge, Plague is for Horrors, Mage is for Return. These aren't even close to be set in stone, though, so adapt to the situation. If you've played Landstill, the matchup will feel very familiar to you - except that you have some better tools: Moat to halt 90% of the offense and Zur to fetch Plaganda after Plaganda. Overall the postboard matchup favours you, especially if they have bounce rather than enchantment removal; just don't throw it away by doing anything stupid like keeping a hand without hate.

6) Others

Some quick evaluations from random MWS games, or 1-of testing sessions:

- Black Aggro: Rough. Vindicate is public enemy #1 for Karach; if they don't run it, though, then you can handle the less broken openings. But turn 1 Dark Ritual is still more scary than t1 Lackey. I hope you board Propaganda.

- Burn: Counterbalance, Story Circle, do not get manascrewed = win.

- Aggro Loam: Counterbalance not as good as hoped. Moat lovely, though. Note that this was against my build (with MD Chalice, Assault, Dreams, and 11 creatures).

- Stax: Oblivion Ring is MVP and should be saved for Crucible of Worlds; also keep a 4cc spell on top with Counterbalance to stop Armageddon (or use Declaration: IRL there are many less Ravages of War). Stealing morphed Angel = sexy.

- Dragon Stompy: Win the die roll; fetch basics. That and a decent amount of removal will handle the deck.

6.0 Conclusion, Thanks and Lingering Questions

Conclusion? Thanks? Eh, screw those. You're bored already.

A couple of NFAQ:

What would you run if the minimum deck size was 61?

The fourth Top. No questions. It's ridiculously easy to reset and it 'turns on' both Counterbalance and Hoofprints. If I were less of a pussy, I'd cut something from the maindeck to fit it, probably the Eternal Dragon or the second Ring; but I like having lots of Plan B's, even at the cost of making my Plan A less consistent.

Why play this over Landstill?

It scoops to completely different hate.

What's with the name?

This deck *knows* its purpose.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Re: [CaNGD] Karach

Great decklist Nihil. I'm glad to see someone else, besides myself, stumble upon Declaration of Naught and realize it's a good card. It's been awhile, and I'm glad to see someone brake Zur the Enchanter. I too have tried, but ditched the entire idea and dedicated my time to other projects. I'm glad to see someone have success with the card.

Mar 2007
    RI

This deck looks really awesome/fun. Your mana base seems really solid too.

Incidentally: for those who aren't too familiar with the rules, Zur triggers upon attacking, which means that the trigger resolves and puts the enchantment into play (without giving your opp. a chance to respond) before blockers are declared. You can attack into a blocker, fetch an Oblivion Ring, a thresh'ed Kirtar's Desire, or even a Threads of Disloyalty (Serra Avenger, Stag tokens) and your Zur will go nicely unblocked.
    Being unfamiliar with the rules, or more so this card, this seems really nuts. Whenever I had looked at Zur before I had just looked at is as a when it does combat damage or w/e like most cards are, but the fact it triggers before the declare blockers step is pretty huge.

Anyways nice job on this, I look forward to seeing where the deck goes.

Why not a single "protection" card for Zur, such as Shielding Plax or Spectral Shield?

As a semi related side note, the Auras are put directly in play and do not to target. You can Treads a Mongoose if you really need to.

Just thought that should be said.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    Why not a single "protection" card for Zur, such as Shielding Plax or Spectral Shield?
    If they have allowed Zur to untap and swing, it means they couldn't resolve a StoP anyway.

Plus, they're just horrible cards to see in hand (the Plax less so, but still terrible).

As a semi related side note, the Auras are put directly in play and do not to target. You can Treads a Mongoose if you really need to.
    Been there, done that. I thought I had written that somewhere in the OP; thanks for noting it!

JuJu on TMD and #TMD
    Feb 2007

Why not a Control Magic? I mean, as long as you're stealing stuff, might as well be able to take their Tombstalker, or something from D. Stompy, or even Exalted. Also, is extirpate better than Leyline here? I mean, obviously it's moot in reference to the combo matchups, but in the Loam matchups, it might be something to think about. Just curious really.

Thanks for the mighty Zur seeing play.

P.S: PM me what you came up with in Regard to Tombstalker+Goyf? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Osse View Post
    Why not a Control Magic? I mean, as long as you're stealing stuff, might as well be able to take their Tombstalker, or something from D. Stompy, or even Exalted. Also, is extirpate better than Leyline here? I mean, obviously it's moot in reference to the combo matchups, but in the Loam matchups, it might be something to think about. Just curious really.

Thanks for the mighty Zur seeing play.

P.S: PM me what you came up with in Regard to Tombstalker+Goyf? :P
    Because Zur can only get enchantments with CMC 3 or less.

My biggest question is: Where's Ground Seal? That's pretty good against a lot of combo, and can come down fairly early or be a singleton that you wouldn't mind having maindeck, because it at least cantrips.

Maybe add Deed and Replenish? I know it's kinda roundabout, but it gives you a way to wrath the board and regain your position, which seems pretty good.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by 94teen View Post
    My biggest question is: Where's Ground Seal? That's pretty good against a lot of combo, and can come down fairly early or be a singleton that you wouldn't mind having maindeck, because it at least cantrips.
    Interesting option; I'd have to use Leyline over Extirpate, but that's doable.

Ground Seal is actually terrible against most combo (Ill-Gotten Gains doesn't target), and it's just a Mage on Dread Return as far as Ichorid is concerned, but for a 1G cantrip it's pretty damn strong against Aggro Loam and Cephalid Breakfast. Not a wide range of decks, but in the right metagame it could pay off as a singleton.

Only... splashing another colour for that? Unexciting, to say the least. Green doesn't have much else to offer, the best card being Sylvan Library. If it cost GU it would ironically be much better, because you could just not run any green and pitch it to Force or Mox if you happened to draw it.

Maybe add Deed and Replenish? I know it's kinda roundabout, but it gives you a way to wrath the board and regain your position, which seems pretty good.
    Deed + Replenish means you're paying a surplus of 3W and a card to not get wrecked by your own sweeper. Ouch. Also, if you draw only one half of the combo? One is unreliable and the other is likely dead (preboard). I'm not even touching the manabase issues.

I've pondered a lot over a possible Pernicious Deed use of Zur. Unfortunately, I had to accept that the cards just aren't there: right now, there are exactly two 3cc or less enchantments that have good synergy with "blown up your own board" - I'll let you guess which two.

Would one of them be Hatching Plans? lol

The Best of Both Worlds
    Aug 2006

My Zur the Enchanter deck before Oblivion Ring was printed was:

Riptide Lad - Zur Variation
    2 Riptide Laboratory
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Tundra
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Sage of Epityr
    3 Zur the Enchanter

4 Paralyze
    1 Shielding Plax
    2 Sleeper's Robe
    1 Solitary Confinement
    2 Propaganda (could be Oblivion Ring)
    1 Copy Enchantment (could be Oblivion Ring)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will

3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

Riptide Laboratory is one of my signatures... I probably put it in too many decks, but it is what I was somewhat building around here.

My combo was to use Zur to beat the opponent by locking them down with Solitary Confinement + a Sleeper's Robe. You first find Shielding Plax, then Confinement, then Sleeper's Robe (which was usually already out on a Sage of Epityr) and proceed to attack over and over, protected by a Confinement "lock." You could also sometimes do this without Zur.

The Plax, Robe, and Propaganda are pitchable, and Sage of Epityr is what makes the Auras not "dead" before you have Zur - otherwise drawing Plax sucks without FoW to pitch it to or Sage to put it on. More importantly, Sage with Sleeper's Robe is actually pretty strong.

The key to the deck was that Paralyze was actually a decent StP alternative. Sage + Confidant (+ Robe) + Top is enough to find a Zur. I think Clutch of the Undercity is excessive.

I would include probably 3-4x Oblivion Ring if I were to pick the deck back up, and maybe Hoofprints of the Stag.

My sideboard would probably include:
    Aura of Silence
    Engineered Plague
    Island Sanctuary
    Threads of Disloyalty or Mind Harness
    Declaration of Naught

I like the idea of Back to Basics. I sadly couldnt find room for Daybreak Coronet... in any case and in any way I say it, Daybreak Coronet is extremely hard to play with.

Using my format isn't a problem - in many ways, it's good to uniform the layout so that the content itself isn't distracted from by it. Keep up the good work and the testing, Nihil.

Mar 2007

Confinement + Robe? Interesting. But your aggro-control approach, I think, suffers from a design flaw: if the Confinement lock plan fails for whatever reason, you have to attack your opponent with 11 pansy Wizards - not an easy feat by any means! Hoofprints would definintely help with that, and probably Tarmogoyf wouldn't hurt either ;)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CaNGD entry
    Last edited by Nihil Credo; 02-09-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

Looks pretty nice ! But you really sure about those Clutch of the Undercity ? Spending the third turn for a sorcery speed tutor always makes me cringe...isn't the digging enough to find either Zur or Moat in time ?

And my own junky recommendation: Lightning Greaves ! Gets you your enchantment a full turn faster, and if your opponent is tapped out, his removal is useless forever. But of course its viability would fully depend on how reliable you can get a Zur in your hand by turn four.
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Know what Nihil? I don't really know what the hell your deck is. I don't know what those cards do.

That's awesome!

I sincerely hope that the idea gets picked up if for no other reason that just to broaden the meta a heckuvalot with just this deck.

Bravo. I have to go look up some cards.

Yea, Cavius The Great has said what I thought first.
    Well, some questions:

- The deck plays many enchantments that means that you put not many cards in your graveyard. Have you thought about it? I mean cards like shrines or energy field? Well, named cards are not very good, but the trend may be interesting. (rhetorical)

- Pillory is too slow?

- Would scroll rack be siutable here? It's a good card if you play a toolbox deck. Also, can be insane with hoofprints.

- May be add one Serra's Sanctum, for story circle and moat?
    Last edited by Mordenkaynen; 02-09-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add a note

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Mordenkaynen View Post
    - Would scroll rack be siutable here? It's a good card if you play a toolbox deck. Also, can be insane with hoofprints.
    How so? Could you explain that further?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    How so? Could you explain that further?
    I think he means that Scroll Rack allows you to easily put cards in your hand back into your library so that they can be searched for with Zur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
    Looks pretty nice ! But you really sure about those Clutch of the Undercity ? Spending the third turn for a sorcery speed tutor always makes me cringe...isn't the digging enough to find either Zur or Moat in time?
    Short version: no.

Long version: you could afford to just draw your way to a copy of Zur, which isn't essential to win the game anyway. Moat, however, is a different story: you want to have that card soon and reliably. As I mentioned, I did try out a version with three Moats and one extra Top, but it was just worse than the current version.

Extra comment: it's totally worth it to spend your turn 3 on a tutor if your turn 4 nearly wins the game on the spot, especially if you're on a clock.

And my own junky recommendation: Lightning Greaves ! Gets you your enchantment a full turn faster, and if your opponent is tapped out, his removal is useless forever. But of course its viability would fully depend on how reliable you can get a Zur in your hand by turn four.
    That looks pretty unlikely. If I drop a Lightning Greaves on turn two with no board, wouldn't a decent opponent immediately suspect shenanigans and keep instant removal mana open? Add in the myriad of situations where Greaves will be dead (compared to Plax, which can at least cantrip or pitch to something), and it's a solid thumbs down from me. Sorry.

@Finn = Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordenkaynen
    - The deck plays many enchantments that means that you put not many cards in your graveyard. Have you thought about it? I mean cards like shrines or energy field? Well, named cards are not very good, but the trend may be interesting. (rhetorical)
    The Shrines aren't very good indeed, but Energy Field is very very interesting - a FoW-pitchable Solitary Confinement with a different drawback. I like how neither the death of Stag tokens nor that of Zur (which will practically always be via StP) would affect Field.

I missed that card somehow - I'll put it in for the next round of testing (as a 61st card, if anyone cares to know... that's my default process when I first need to try out a new card without screwing up the rest of the deck).

- Pillory is too slow?
    It's fine, it's just that Oblivion Ring is mostly better.

Unfortunately, Scroll Rack doesn't say "draw", so it doesn't work with Hoofprints.

In general, more cheap draw magic works well in any blue deck; the question is what to cut for it.

- May be add one Serra's Sanctum, for story circle and moat?
    Nah, multiple white mana is pretty easy. The foremost candidates for a nonbasic land slot are Volrath's Stronghold and Karakas (in that order), which I plan on trying out soon.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

In my testing of this deck, I found the following:

Landstill match: Not too pretty. I actually got whupped by what I thought was Landstill but turned out to be the CaNG entry "Dreadstill." I was happy to try to grab his late Dreadnought with Threads, but alas, he countered.

Dragonstompy: Unsure yet. The build I was playing against didn't seem to be running Trini - which is a huge mistake IMO. Anyway, this deck has NO answer to red Akroma! I found that out the hard way. Ok, ok, I'll give you Story Circle, but it's only 1. Game 2 I Meddling Maged that bitch. Screw her for stealing a win. Anyway, if you can answer an early threat, you should be OK.

Thresh: Smacked it a little bit. An early Story Circle on green proved problematic for the Thresh player.

Affinity: I thought I was totally in control of this match - Moat had a nice lockdown. Unfortunately, Zur is a crappy clock and the Affinity player set up a Fling trap for me. With Cranial in play, I was forced to counter an Ornithopter (of all things) since I had spent my ORings on Disciples, my Desire on another Ornithopter, and my Declaration of NOT naming Ravager. God, searching up Energy Flux would have been EpicLulz.

Overall impressions.

Zur: In a odd way, Zur makes me feel like I'm playing Survival. Bear with me! Each turn I get to search out a silver bullet. Zur really is JUST stupid. He can be so broken that sometimes he feels like "win-more." "Oh look, I have board control now, so I guess I'll put out another Hoofprints."

Declaration of NOT! This card has been totally unneeded in my limited testing. Once Zur is going, I think there could be other more useful things to find. Simply a third ORing may work. Another Threads? Main Propaganda?

Brainstorming more Enchantments:
    • Mind Harness?
    • Supression Field?
    • Solitary Confinement?
    • Energy Field?
    • Parallax Nexus (ohh! so janky!)?
    • Phyrexian Arena (ok, now I'm just being silly)?
    • Dystopia?
    Quote Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
    But you really sure about those Clutch of the Undercity ? Spending the third turn for a sorcery speed tutor always makes me cringe...isn't the digging enough to find either Zur or Moat in time ?
    I totally thought they were crap in my testing. Until I was in a losing postion and figured I'd Transmute for the hell of it... Oh wait... It gets Zur! (My actual thoughts in a game!) Yeah, I'm now a fan since it gets the UBW Survival for Enchantments.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quick double post for an unrelated issue. I think we need to find some sort of better win condition and some better 3cc or less enchants.

I was looking at the Green Hidden critters, but they seem very underwhelming. We'd have to butcher the mana base, the opponent can control their activation, and they have no synergy with Moat.

Next, I thought about the Words cycle. Words of Wilding butchers the mana base and is ruined by our own Moat. Words of War may simply not be worth the skipped draw. Words of Worship may be an interesting option for life gain.

I'm really want to find an enchant that doubles as a quick win-con. Hoofprints may not be cutting it. Hmmm, what if we put some sort of Aura in there to boost Zur? Maybe something like Sinister Strength? Strength of Lunacy (pro-white is cute)? Phyrexian Boon could provide flexibility.

More Brainstorms:
    • Animate Dead could be an intersting card. Actually, Necromancy is probably better.
    • Seal of Doom
    • Desolation! EpicLulz indeed. It would probably hurt us more than the opponent though.

If you want to speed up the finishing blow, you could use any combination of Pemmnin's Aura, Griffin Guide, Daybreak Cornet, or Battle Mastery.

Thread Information