Thread: [Tournament] 2/16, Wareham, MA

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Re: [Tournament] 2/16, Wareham, MA

5th-8th Prizes now have set amounts.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

My friend needs some Magma Jets, and we need a single Tormod's Crypt, if anyone can help us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Yeah, I've got them.
    Team Hammafist
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

Any news?
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

Feb 2007
    Worcester, MA

Just got back from going 1-3 in this.
    Looking forward to the next one.

The store is easily findable off the highways, so for being 84 miles away from my house, it took me only 1 hour 10 minutes to get there.
    Love the store, plenty of room and nice people.

Too bad half the people that posted on this thread that they'd show up, didn't. Yes, every one of you probably have what you think is a good excuse for not showing up, but it still sucks to have a tournament with only half the expected number of players. Probably sucks even more for the organizer.

Edit: total of 17 players. 4 rounds with top 8 afterwards. Sorry i didnt keep track of who made it into the 8.

Went 1-2 here before dropping to get them to an even number. I'll back up Roddy on this being a good location to do this kind of thing. I'll definitely be back the next time they organize an event and it's a 90 minute drive at 80 mph for me. :)

Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

The Top 8 was:
    1/2. Aggro Loam (from Cairo)
    1/2. Grb Survival (Jaynel)
    3. UGw Thresh (me)
    4. Mono Black Aggro (HammafistRoob)
    5-8. Dreadstill (Roodmista)
    5-8. Dragon Stompy (JanValentine00)
    5-8. Rgw Gobs
    5-8. Ugw Thresh

The complete meta breakdown was: 2 Ichorid (note: these were the 2 last place finishers), 2 Dragon Stompy, Burn, Goyf Sligh, Faerie Stompy, Rgw Gobs, Aggro Loam, 5c Slivers, Grb Survival, UG Madness, Mono Black Aggro, 2 Ugw Thresh, some odd deck with Oath of Ghouls, and one other deck I missed.

Overall a fun tournamant (I won $40 credit and got a Bayou and a Thoughtseize), though the fact that only 17 people showed up was pretty disappointing, as well as having to face my brother in the first round, a match which I always win, despite the matchup being pretty even, or maybe even in his favor (he plays FS).
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

Quote Originally Posted by KillemallCFH View Post
    The Top 8 was: ...
    You don't happen to have the decklists do you? If not, could you at least share yours? Thx.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

The ugw Thresh was Steve (Stoohgenstein). We have the lists for DS, MBA, Dreadstill, Gobbz, and Thresh, prolly post them later and my report.
    Anyways Standings 1-8
    1/2 Aggro Loam
    1/2 GBR Survival
    3 UGW Thresh
    4 MBA
    5 Dragon Stompy
    6 RGW Vial Goblins
    7 Dreadstill
    8 UGW Thresh
    Team Hammafist

Feb 2006
    Boston

Wait, why didn't I meet any Sourcers!? This is so lame! I wish someone had told me who you guys were so I could have said hi.

Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by kabal View Post
    You don't happen to have the decklists do you? If not, could you at least share yours? Thx.
    No, I don't, but here is mine:
    //Land (18)
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    //Creatures (10)
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    2 Mystic Enforcer
    //Couterspells (9)
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    1 Counterspell
    //Cantrips (12)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Portent
    2 Predict
    //CB-Top (5)
    2 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    //Removal (6)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Oblivion Ring
    //Sideboard (15)
    SB: 1 Counterbalance
    SB: 3 Krosan Grip
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 4 Stifle
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 2 Worship

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    Wait, why didn't I meet any Sourcers!? This is so lame! I wish someone had told me who you guys were so I could have said hi.
    I was playing the odd Vial/Oath deck. I'll be at Hadley on 3/8 with the same deck with a few alterations. It won't be too hard to find me. :)

I drew the deck in round 1, Goblins, that the deck is not trying to compete with at the moment as I tighten it up against control and Threshold, beat Dragon Stompy easily in round 2 and then had to mulligan to 4 in game 1 of round 3 against the Madness to find land. I beat him easily in game 2 and then brainfarted a re-sideboarding in game 3 to get away from his Primordium Seals with 4 Leyline of the Void coming in and then my foolish decision not to mulligan until I found one. Boo.

But it was fun.

Feb 2006
    Boston

Here's what I played:

Manas:
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bayou
    4 Taiga
    5 Forest
    4 Birds of Paradise
    1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary

A Beating, One Way or Another:
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Eternal Witness
    2 Magus of the Moon

Survival Dudes:
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Anger
    1 Genesis

Utility/Removal:
    2 Shriekmaw
    1 Spike Feeder
    1 Masticore
    1 Big Game Hunter
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Viridian Zealot

Bombs:
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    4 Burning Wish

Discard:
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize

Side:
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Tsunami
    1 Seeds of Innocence
    1 Chainer's Edict
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Hull Breach
    1 Regrowth
    1 Rough/Tumble
    1 Primal Command
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Magus of the Moon

Report coming soon, I think.

Nice list Jaynel. I'll post mine either after Hadley or the big tourney in Rhode Island, depending on when I decide it's ready to look at the whole metagame. Right now it's very narrowly focused and probably 8 to 10 cards off the optimal build for what it's trying to do.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    Nice list Jaynel. I'll post mine either after Hadley or the big tourney in Rhode Island, depending on when I decide it's ready to look at the whole metagame. Right now it's very narrowly focused and probably 8 to 10 cards off the optimal build for what it's trying to do.
    I would love to see this list you're referring to. I always love to see original ideas 'make it'. good luck on the next tourney you play the deck, I hope you're successful enough to make Top8.

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by kabal View Post
    I ran Nihil's Aggro Loam build...

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    // Lands
    4 [PR] Taiga
    1 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    4 [ON] Forgotten Cave
    3 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [UNH] Mountain
    3 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
    3 [UNH] Forest
    4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
    1 [PR] Badlands

// Creatures
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    3 [OD] Terravore
    4 [MNT] Countryside Crusher

// Spells
    3 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    4 [JU] Burning Wish
    2 [TO] Devastating Dreams
    3 [8E] Seismic Assault
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    SB: 1 [TO] Devastating Dreams
    SB: 1 [GP] Shattering Spree
    SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 [NE] Reverent Silence
    SB: 1 [TO] Nostalgic Dreams
    SB: 3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
    SB: 1 [OD] Last Rites
    I ran this build last Sunday at YMG in Somerville as well. I think its the strongest approach to an open meta. Chalice main shores up alot of potential problems. by protecting your hand from discard, protecting your guys from Swords, buying alot of time against Thresh and Combo, etc.

I was originally thinking I would write a report, but my notes aren't great and there really isn't much to report. I played a strong build mediocre-ly; beating out Burn and Slivers and losing to Survival and Goblins in Swiss. I was seated 8th on tie breaks. Then got two favorable-very favorable match ups in the top 8 (vs Dragon Stompy) and top 4 (vs Thresh)... then my team mate and I split.

Props:
    -Eric for putting up amazing support even with a bad turn out.
    -Life from the Loam and all of its stupid synergy (Assault and Crusher espec).
    -Nihil - great build
    -The other 16 players that showed up, all my opponents seemed like really cool people and all my matches were alot of fun.
    -Good Tie Breaks

Slops:
    -Weak turn outs at this and Somerville... I mean 14 for a store cred tourny is one thing... but 17 for a Goyf/FoW Tourny... come on MA! WTF!?
    -Nostalgic Dreams (you're really underwhelming and I never wished for you)
    -Numerous play errors

Feb 2006
    Boston

Yeah, fuck a formal report. Here goes:

Round 1: MBA (Rob Rogers, HammafistRoob)
    Game 1: I play a very bad aggro deck, beating with Genesis and some 2/x dorks. Moonman shuts off his Factories, which is pretty big.
    Game 2: Survival gets ripped from my hand early. I Wish to nail a Leyline with Hull Breach. A Survival turns up later and seal the game.
    In one of those 2 games I draw a bunch of wishes and get a Primal Command soft lock going to stall for a bit.
    1-0

Round 2: Dreadstill (Roodmistah)
    Game 1: He gets an early Dreadnought. I try to jedi mind trick him by evoking a Shriekmaw. It doesn't work, so I try evoking another one after getting beaten to 8. It still doesn't work.
    Game 2: I play some card into a Standstill. Standstill adds the supertype enchantment to the graveyard which pumps a Goyf to swing for lethal.
    Game 3: Counterbalance fucks some things up for me early on, but a Survival sneaks through. I fail to topdeck a critter to deal with a second Dreadnought (I had Gripped the first).
    1-1

Round 3: Aggro Loam (Ben, from Cairo)
    I really don't remember these games at all, but he drew pretty badly and I drew rather well. Big Game Hunter took out a Crusher which was pretty sweet.
    2-1

Round 4: UG Countertop Madness (Matt, unregged)
    Game 1: Multiple Tarmogoyfs hold down the fort until a BGH takes out a 6/6 Wurm token.
    Game 2: Survival resolves. Burning Wish into Tsunami resolves. That's all she wrote.
    3-1

Top 8: Ugw ***** (Stoogenstein)
    Game 1: A Survival sneaks through the Counterbalance wall, and I'm able to inevitability win. Shriekmaw kills my own Anger and Fears its way through a pair of Mystic Enforcers for the win.
    Game 2: I get 2 fetches stifled, which hurt a lot. Some Goyfs eat my face.
    Game 3: Busted hand with discard and Magus. Moonman hampers his mulligan to 5 and I take it down soon after.
    4-1

Top 4: MBA (Rob, HammafistRoob) redux
    Game 1: He Thoughtseizes a Survival from my opening grip, and I rip one off the top like a pro. I win this one after getting snerious card advantage. BGH eats an early Negator here.
    Game 2: Masticore and Goyf tag team to control the board and eventually win. Genesis + dude helps keep Masticore alive while maintaining land drops to kill critters.
    5-1

Top 2: Aggro Loam (Ben, from Caro)
    Split

Props:
    All my opponents for being very cool and playing good decks.
    Eric for still having great prize support.
    Bagels for being delicious
    Wareham for being around 30 minutes away
    Ichorid for not doing well (I would have lost very hard)
    Team Hammafist guys for eating excess bagels - hope you enjoyed them.
    Me for remembering to shuffle vigorously after looking at my library.

Slops:
    Team Hammafist for talking mad smack (I still love you guys though)
    Sourcers for not introducing themselves (Lame!)
    Western MA people for ditching last minute

Fun tourny. Lets get some more people there next time though.
    Last edited by Jaynel; 02-18-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

I didn't take any notes at all, but here's my half-assed report from memory:

Round 1: I get paired against my brother (VsTheWorld). Bad way to start off. We talk about IDing, but decide to play it out. As always, I beat him, despite FS theoretically having a pretty good Thresh matchup. Game 1 I cantrip, counter stuff, play efficient dudes, win. G2 he does something to win, probly involving a Chalice stopping me from doing anything relevant. After hearing that everyone else on out team is beginning the day with losses, we briefly talk about IDing again, but again decide to play it though. G3 he draws a Sower of Temptation and steals my Goyf. I O-Ring it and take back Goyf. Next turn he Control Magics it, and I rip Krosan Grip off the top, take my Goyf back again, and kill him within the next 5 turns or so.

Round 2: Stoogenstein with UGw Thresh. Mirror. Oh boy. Game 1 is very long and arduous, with a bunch of StPs going around. I think at some point I stick an Enforcer and win. Game 2 he CB/tops me out of the game, I think. G3 I do the same to him.

Round 3: Jon Nickerson with Rgw Gobs. I really don't remember much about these games. He wins G1 with a Matron'd Mirror Entity. I win G2 somehow. G3 I let Lackey connect way too many times and get overrun. I think I might've made some play mistakes here. *Shrugs*

Round 4: Roodmistah with Dreadstill. He's in 3rd and I'm in 4th. I offer to ID. At first he wants to play it out, but eventually we decide we are secured in the top 8 if we draw. So we do.

--Top 8--

Top 8: Roodmistah with Dreadstill. We end up playing each other anyways. G1 I play like a mentally retarded hamster, forgetting to flip for Counterbalance on his Dreadnought, but then remembering when he Trickbinds it. Of course I reveal a Ponder that should've countered the Dreadnought. I made some other stupid mistakes at some point and lose quickly. Game 2 he opens up with Wasteland, playing Top. I guess at this point (judging by the fact he played Waste) that perhaps that is his only land, so I Daze the Top. Turns out I was right and he goes several turns landless. I win somehow, probably on the back of Goyf. G3 I set up CB/top. He somehow manages to resolve Stifle-Nought through it (I find no 1cc cards with Top, and he Stifles my attempt to put it on top of my library). Next turn I EE for 1 and Goyf eventually goes the distance.

Top 4: from Cairo with Aggro Loam. I really don't remember much here. G1 he wins with huge guys. G2 he plays a Devastating Dreams for some amount to try to wipe my board, but my Goyf lived due to him discarding something to pump it. G3 he DD's again and wipes my board at some point.

After this I go over and watch Jared (Jaynel) with Survival facing Monoblack Aggro (HammafistRoob). If Jared wins I come in 4th, if Roob wins, I come in 3rd. Jared goes crazy with Survival and wins, so I get $40 store credit, which I use to pick up a Bayou and a Thoughtseize.

Props:
    -Thresh, for still being the best deck in the format.
    -All the people who actually showed up.
    -Jared (Jaynel) and Ben (from Cairo) for splitting Top 2. Good jorb!
    -Oblivion Ring, for being awesome removal, and for sitting atop my library protecting my CB from Grip (and for countering Threads with CB).
    -Eric, for the awesome tourney and awesome prizes.

Slops:
    -Everyone who didn't show up.
    -Wendy's, for making me the worst baked potato I've ever eaten.
    -The rest of my team, for not T8ing with me.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    (Roger, registered but I forget his handle)
    His name is Rob Rogers, and his Handle is HammafistRoob

Anyways, My List:
    Lands:18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

Creatures:21
    4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Arc-Slogger
    2 Sulfer Elemental

Noncreature Spells:21
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Seething Song
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard:15
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Powder Keg
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Pyroclasm
    2 Ingot Chewer
    1 Blood Moon
    ---------------------------------
    MBA: Rob Rogers
    Lands:20
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    8 Swamp

Creatures:12
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Phyrexian Negator
    4 Hypnotic Specter

Noncreature Spells:28
    4 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Smother
    3 Ghastly Demise
    3 Reanimate
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Extirpate
    3 Engineered Plague
    3 Powder Keg
    2 Pithing Needle
    ----------------------------
    Steve Rogers: UGW Thresh
    Lands:18
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Island
    1 Forest

Creatures:10
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Mystic Enforcer

Noncreature Spells:32
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Stifle
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Ponder
    2 Predict
    1 Engineered Explosives

4 Pithing Needle
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Threads of Disloyalty
    2 Tividar's Crusade
    1 Engineered Explosives
    -------------------------
    I'll post Dreadstill and Ugw Goblins Later.
    Team Hammafist

Feb 2006
    Boston

Are Rob and Steve related at all?

Thread Information