Thread: T2 with B/r Sui in a 60 + tourney at Nationals!

T2 with B/r Sui in a 60 + tourney at Nationals!

Here is the list I played :

4x Wasteland
    4x Bloodstaind Mire
    3x Polluted Delta
    4x Badlands
    6x Swamp
    4x Dark Ritual
    3x Phyrexian Negator
    4x Dark Confidant
    3x Nantuko Shade
    4x Hypnotic Specter
    4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Chain Lightning
    4x SinkHole
    4x Duress
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    2x Umezawa's Jitte

SideBoard :
    4x Cabal Therapy
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Engineered Plague
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Pithing Needle

There are several things I like/disliked about the deck as posted Anwar. I just could not understand how bob was not in the deck. The only matchup that he is lackluster is the goblin matchup, so I added jitte to the maindeck to compensate for the lack of 3/3 bodies, which are very good in that matchup but very mediocore in the control/combo matchup. This is the matchup where bob is really superior as he digs into more and more disruption and threats. Bob straight up won me games where I had no right to win where Rotting Giant/Wretched Anurid would of done nothing. Onto the sideboard, I disliked dsytopia because it is very narrow. No one plays survival after the second round anymore and crypt is just as good against threshold and is good against a lot of random decks. The engineered plagues are pretty self explanatory, you gotta keep all those elf decks down. Therapy's are just additional disruption against combo decks, which this deck really needs.

Onto the matchups,

Round 1: Vs. Pikula

Game 1 : I am on the play, which is always good in this matchup. I ritual into duress and confidant. He has no answer for my bob until about turn three and he just generates to much card advantage so he puts the game away. Game 2 is similar only on the other side of the field. He curves out with Isamaru, Bob, then hand of honor and just beats me to death while disrupting me vindicate, hymn's and sinkholes. Game 3 I get a first turn negator and he can't answer it until he vindicates it. I drop a shade and he scopes.

Round 2: Vs. Solidarity

Game 1: I get a slow start, and he attempts to combo off with a hymn on the stack and fizzles.

Game 2: The game starts off like this : Turn 1 therapy, hitting double high tide. Turn 2 bob. Turn three ritualing into hymn and negator. I duress/therapy him next turn, and he scopes.

Round 3: Vs. Random Zoo

Game 1: I duress away a lightning bolt, and then ritual into negator. He rips a lightning bolt, and hit's the negator. I scoop it up.

Game 2: I disrupt the shit out of him, and all he has on the board is a troll. I don't draw a creature for 7 turns so I die.

2-1

On a side note, I played this matchup with the kid about 7 more times for fun after the match. I never lost a game. : /

Round 4: Vs. Iggy Pop

Game 1: I lose the die roll. He plays a polluted delta and passes, I ritual into duress and bob. Bob digs for those critical pieces of disruption I needed in this match so he can only tendril's me for 12, hoping my bob will kill me.

Game 2: He goes first and does this. Land, petal, petal, ritual, led, intuition [sacking led in response] fetching triple ill gotten gains, and then tendril's me out.

Game 3: I duress him, ritual into sinkhole and bob. Hymn him. He still somehoe manage's to tendrils me for 10. Bob is dealing me damage, but I get a negator out and kill him before bob can kill me.

Round 5: Vs. Wombat

Other then the combo matchup's, bob really was an MVP here.

Game 1: I have no idea what he is playing and put him on rifter because he drops a RoP: Red. He never drops a red source and I walk into countless wing shards, condemn's [he said none of the dealer's had bandage's] and lose to an exalted angel.

Game 2: I duress him, ripping a StP out of his hand. I drop a turn two dark confidant, while he can do nothing but cycle land's. I don't attack into condemn/wing shards with bob and slowly pick apart his hand with duress, therapy, and hymn to tourach. I eventually get out Negator [an other MVP] and kill him.

Game 3: This one wasn't even fair. I therapy turn one to hit a StP. I hymn him on turn 2. I drop a bob turn two. He flips over a hymn, so I hymn. He still has condemn's/shining shoal in hand so I don't swing. I flip over an other hymn and hymn away the rest of his hand and he quit's.

Round 6: Vs. Mono Red Goblins

Game 1: I know he is playing goblins but I don't know what version he is playing. I go 'ball to the wall' and drop turn one Big Neg's. He frowns and drop's an aether vial. I ritual into jitte, equip and swing. There is nothing he can do, and die's a few turn's later.

Game 2: He get's the nutz and has turn one lackey and I don't have an answer. He drops a Siege gang off lackey and plays a fanatic. I still don't have anything to do and scoop it up.

Game 3: I therapy away a warchief out of his hand to see no lackey in hand. He rips a fanatic and plays it. I sinkhole him, then wasteland him. I drop a shade. He get's mana screwed and I just run him over.

Top 8: Vs. Solidarity again

Game 1: I keep a really slow hand, with a turn one hippy. I hope for the best. He has the Fow and I can't really do anything as he combo's off.

Game 2: This was a really close game. I get a turn one negator but I don't really have a lot of disruption. I duress and he attempt's to combo off, and fizzles because he does not hit a high tide.

Game 3: This game is a blow out, all because of bob. I put piece and after piece of disruption into my hand and I just stopped him from doing anything. I duress, then hymn, then sinkhole/therapy. He is left with 2 lands in play and 2 cards in hand as i kill him.

Top 4: Vs Goblins w/ a white splash.

Game 1: He is on the play and drops a turn one lackey, I bolt it and pass the turn. He misses a land drop and plays a fanatic. I sinkhole, then wasteland, then sinkhole again. I win the game while he has no permanent's in play.

Game 2: I slow him down with sinkhole's and bolt's. He matron's for warchief and I drop a plague. He scoops it up right there.

Finals : Vs. Goblins

Game 1: He is on the play and mulligans down to 6. He drops double aether vial, and has a slow hand. I know he has a matron from a duress, so I save my hymn until he matron's for ringleader. He matron's for ringleader and I hymn him, hitting double ringleader. He rips a ringleader off the top, into 4 goblins : / . There is nothing I can do.

Game 2: I get out an early plague and he is just sitting there with a piledriver in play. He rips double port and keeps me from doing anything. He then ripped the single goblin king in his deck, I have an other plague in hand but can't play it because of the double port. He drops a king, a seige gang commander and swing for 15 then sacks two goblins to kill me : /.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Re: T2 with B/r Sui in a 60 + tourney at Nationals!

Nice Report. I like the build, but is 14 threats really enough to run Jitte? Or win? I gues it was since you T2'd. I agree with you about Bob, but I guess it's just a matter of opinion. Is there any reason you went with Crypt over Withered Wretch in the board? They both have their uses and drawbacks, but I think Wretch is superior here because it can carry Jitte.

I'm pretty impressed since you played against and defeated nearly all the top decks in Legacy. Congrats and good luck in future tourneys!

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Congrats to Sexy Rector. I'm glad that you actually like a deck that I was working on. Did you like the Jittes? They seem suspect in a deck like this with only like 14 creatures? I've never liked Dark Confidant because of the Goblins matchup, but looks like you were able to do well with it against Goblins. Doesn't playing Dark Confidant mean that you are really suspectible to Pyroclasm? I've tried him before but he was so unplayable against Goblins and just generally bad against other creature decks that I found him unplayable.

Dystopia is not narrow. It hits all white and green permanents like Mongoose, Werebear, Humility, Moat, etc. You should give Dystopia a try.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

So you run Festival of the Guildpact if you can't find Bandage. Spluh.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Definetly congrats. My friend Chris was the one who out-sacked you in the finals playing my Goblin deck (mono-red btw). The Confidants definetly seemed stronger than Anurid or Rotting Giant (especially the turn where you ripped Bolt as the second card when Piledriver/Warchief/Matron was coming at you; the only reason he got the Ringleader there instead of another Piledriver to put in with Vial at 2 and swing for 17 was fear of that card). Good job with the deck though.

@ Anwar : Yea, there were times when I had a jitte and no creatures but there were also times when it won me the game, both in the tournament and in random side games. It even helped me win a game against iggy pop by gaining life so they couldn't tendril's me out. I really wanted the dystopia but no dealers had them on site. Withered wretch/other beater mite be an option but I am not really sure.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy_Rector
    @ Anwar : Yea, there were times when I had a jitte and no creatures but there were also times when it won me the game, both in the tournament and in random side games. It even helped me win a game against iggy pop by gaining life so they couldn't tendril's me out. I really wanted the dystopia but no dealers had them on site. Withered wretch/other beater mite be an option but I am not really sure.
    Active jitte is obviously busted, but should there be more creatures? You just run out of space in terms of disruption/creatures/removal combination to have enough creatures plus Equipment. I've never been able to fit in Equipment and cutting creatures for it like you've done seems even less attractive. I'm not saying it won't work, but its quite risky.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Excellent report.

Thread Information