Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Salvager Game (Golden Grahams)

Jun 2005
    Massachussetts

[Deck] Salvager Game (Golden Grahams)

I have seen this eck on TMD, and thought it was pretty cool. I'll just copy and paste Tash's post, as it is his deck.

Ok, so my local group has been playtesting for Legacy a lot recently, and one of them brought in the gamekeeper oath deck, the one that plays 4 gamekeeper, disruption, and then 2 Darksteel Colossus.

Well being the combo player I am I thought up a "better" idea. What if instead of running the Colossus's, we run the Auriok Salvagers combo with LED and pyrite spellbomb.

I worked on it for a bit and this is the list that I've come up with.

"Salvager Oath"

Tutor/Draw
    2 Nights Whisper
    4 Living Wish
    4 Tainted Pact

Disruption
    3 Chainers Edict
    3 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy

Creatures
    3 Gamekeeper
    2 Auriok Salvagers

Combo
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Pyrite Spellbomb

Other
    1 Krosan Reclamation
    4 Chromatic Sphere

Land
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Swamp
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    2 Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Bayou
    1 Savannah

Sideboard: Not finished yet, but it will include
    1 Gamekeeper
    1 Auriok Salvager
    1 Kumano, Master Yamibushi
    2 Darksteel Colossus

Card Choices:
    Tainted Pact: This was originally a Spoils of the Vault, but I kept killing myself with it. TP seems really good just because you can start digging for stuff and even if you hit the same card twice, well you just cleared out some crap so you can get to your combo quicker.

Living Wish: In creature based combo this card is sort of a DUH. It reads "Gamekeeper #4-7" as well as "Salvager #3-6"

Darksteel Colossus: It starts the matchup in the sideboard for a reason. Mostly because I like the Salvagers combo much better, but it's there so if someone sides in all their graveyard hate, you can just pull those in game 2 and say: "Oh, you just cast tormonds crypt. Damn." And flip over Colossus. Seems pretty good.

So there's my deck idea. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. But if you want to flame, please do more than just say "Wow, you're a retard." Give me a thought out reason on why I'm wrong in playing this deck.

This is his tournemtn report from first place at the GPT in Indy

On Oct. 8 I, for the first time ever, went to a local store for Friday Night Magic. While there, I mention legacy, and one of the guys starts telling me about the GPT in Indianapolis on the following day. I completely scrub out in the FNM tourney, but I have a ride to the GPT. I get on the wrong bus however, and figure I'm going to be late, but I switch routes and get to the game shop 20 minutes before they arrive. Traffic is a bitch, because of the Indiana University: Bloomington homecoming game, and we get to Indianapolis with 20 minutes left before the tourney. I pick up a Dragon's Breath for the sideboard, and register. This is what I played

Golden Grahams
    4 Chromatic Sphere
    4 Living Wish
    4 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Tainted Pact
    4 Lions Eye Diamond
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Nights Whisper
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    1 Krosan Reclamation
    2 Auriok Salvagers
    3 Gamekeeper

1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Plains
    2 Snow Covered Forest
    2 Forest
    3 Snow Covered Swamp
    2 Swamp
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Windswept Heath

SB:
    4 Tsunami
    1 City of Brass
    1 Viridian Zealot
    1 Gamekeeper
    1 Trinket Mage
    1 Ray of Revelation
    1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals
    1 Kjeldoran Dead
    2 Darksteel Colossus
    1 Auriok Salvagers
    1 Dragon's Breath

I triple checked the list this time, after getting a game loss in GPT Louisville for a misregistered card. No problems, so I sit around and wait for the tourney to start.

Round 1: Chris with White Weenie.

Game 1: He throws down a Chrome Mox, and plays a turn 1 Soltari Priest. I fire off an Innocent Blood just to screw up his day. Later on he fires off Mother of Runes and Mask of Memories, but that is nothing compared to the power of me comboing off on turn 5.

Game 2: My notes here are scarce, as they are through out the tourney, but I see that he got out 2 Suntail Hawks and I therapy him circa 3 times, the last time right before comboing off, realizing that he didn't have anything to stop me, so I name Black Lotus for shits and giggles.

1-0-0

Round 2: John with W/b Aggro

Game 1: John plays cards like, Vindicate, Suntail Hawk, SoFI, StP, and Exalted Angel. I duress him once or twice, removing the spells that I need to, and I pull out the victory.

Game 2: Yeah, simply put I start to combo off, and get swords to hell.

Game 3: See: Game 2

1-1-0

Round 3: John with Sensei, Sensei

Game 1: I rode up with John, and he lost round 1, and got the bye round two. We joke for a few minutes before the round starts. He brings out a turn 2 or 3 Helm of Awakening. The next turn I living wish for a Salvagers and combo off.

Game 2: His turn 1: Tundra. Go.
    My turn one: Scrubland, Dark Ritual, Chromatic Sphere, Pop the Sphere for green, Draw some jank, Play 2 Lion's Eye Diamond, Cast Living Wish and crack them both for WWWWWW, I get the Salvagers with the living wish and cast it with WW floating. John goes "At least I got to play a Tundra"

2-1-0

Round 4: Jason with Not Quite Grow
    Game 1: Jason was the guy that won GPT Louisville with practically the same deck. I laugh and claim that I was going to avenge my friend's top four defeat. We shuffle up and he administers a lot of beats, but late in the game, as I'm at 6, I sstabilizeand Combo out.

Game 2: I side in the 2 Colossus, 4 Tsunami and the Dragons Breath. I figure it'd be pretty good. I get out a Tsunami on turn 3 and end up with a Colossus in hand as I sac my Gamekeeper. I forget to target, and start flipping cards. The second Colossus is on the bottom of the deck, so I target myself naming Colossus. The judge is called, and I get a pproceduralwarning. I lose because I took out Krosan Reclamation. That was not good.

Game 3: In short, we play to time and go to the fifth turn. He asks if I'm planning on going to Philly, and I say yes. He nods and looks at the judge. "I scoop" he says as he packs up his cards.

3-1-0

Round 5: I was once told that the last round in a magic tourney, before cut to top 8 is all politics. It didn't take me much to convince my opponent to draw in to the top 8.

3-1-1

Top 8: Andy playing Goblins.

Game 1: So before the match, he's trying to get hints from me about how to win against me. He says something like "I side in pithing needle against you", Me: "Well, that does hurt" Him: "I think I should name the spellbomb with the needle." Me: *smirk* "Sure, taking out my win condition is always good. I win the roll and go land go. He goes turn one lackey, and I go turn 2 Ritual Gamekeeper. He stops altogether, since he doesn't want to kill the keeper, and I combo him out.

Game 2: Anyone remember the bit about the Pithing needle? He turn 1 drops a needle naming Pyrite Spellbomb. I block some goblins with a Gamekeeper, and a hardcast Salvagers, and combo out, using chromatic sphere to go get a living wish and hit him with a very painful Maga, Traitor to Mortals.

4-1-1

Top 4: John (the U/B aggro player from round 2)

Game 1: I get to play the guy that beat me. Oh joy. We trade off with the usual disruption, and he hits a morphed angel, he flips her and taps out. Next turn I combo off.

Game 2: I side in the Colossus plan. Unfortunately I don't see a damn Gamekeeper for the entire game, and he starts beating himself down with an Ancient Tomb, of course his clock is faster than my sitting there and doing nothing. I scoop.

Game 3: I play a forest on turn on followed by a Chromatic Sphere. He duresses me on turn 1 and pulls a Tainted Pact, while I have a Lion's Eye Diamond and an Auriok Salvagers in hand, turn two I play a fetchland, crack a sphere for black and see glory in all shapes and forms. A dark ritual pops into my hand. I crack the fetchland and go get a white source. I bring out turn 2 Salvagers with Lion's Eye Diamond, and a Chromatic Sphere in the graveyard. That's all she wrote folks. He shows me an enlightened tutor from his hand. He would have had a turn 2 pithing needle, if he wouldn't have duressed away my pact and instead grabbed my Lion's Eye Diamond.

5-1-1

Finals: Rory with Landstill

I came up with Rory and offer him my packs if he lets me have the victory. He mulls over it for a second, and figures he won't be attending GP Philly, he takes my packs and we shake hands.

6-1-1

Overall, I'm proud of me again. A GPT victory with Golden Grahams. I want to change the sideboard mostly, but I just didn't have the time to. I had one night to prepare for the event, and even had to scrounge for some cards anyways.

Props:
    Rory for being the worst Landstill player to make top 2.
    Jason for being awesome and scooping to me.
    That guy with Merfolk.DEC and making it 2-3
    My deck, for not crapping out on me
    Auriok Salvagers, for being able to pull off matches I have no business winning.

Slops:
    Pithing Needle, still. I hate that card.
    Viridian Shaman, he's overcosted and not too helpful.
    All the cards that just sat in my sideboard and stared at me.
    Rory, for taking forever in his top 8 matches.
    The Marriott for charging $2 for a 20 oz. drink.

The issue is the fact that the only Goblins matchup he had was against someone who clearly hadn't played Magic before that day. I thought I'd like to show you guys this, and get some insight on what you think. Seems like a decent deck, maybe better than the Game, without getting wrecked by StP.

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

Hey there, I'm doing some toying around with Auriok/LED too. I got a few questions about your take on it.

The inclusion of Gamekeeper is a really good idea imo. Delivers both Salvager and LED into position. Also allows you to use tech like Therapy and Blood. But if you already have
    Salvager out, do these two directions of the deck conflict with eachother? How often does that happen? Have you ever fired off a Gamekeeper and had it NOT get LED in the yard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    A "limited player" is a player with a mental handicap and is thus "limited"
    A "legacy player" is an old player that may or may not be senile.

Both require the use of diapers.

Dec 2004
    Middletown Ct

this may be a little bit off subject... but hey i thought i'd bounce the idea off of you.

Have you considered trying to abuse the animating enchantments from gorger?

For example.

a sample hand:
    Swamp
    Lotus Petal
    Animate Dead
    Lions Eye Diamond
    Chromatic Sphere/bauble/pyrite
    Auriok Salvagers
    anything....

or

Swamp
    Lotus Petal
    Animate Dead
    Lions Eye Diamond
    Chromatic Sphere/bauble/pyrite
    gamekeeper
    cabal therapy

is a first turn kill... (of course the chances of that are slim)

I havent tested it or anything... but i just thought it was a cool idea.
    High score..what does that mean? Did I break the game?

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Well that certainly is a different build of the The Game. Seems preety good and I do like the DSC & Dragon Breath in the board. I wonder where he got that from ???
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Sep 2004
    New Jersey

The deck does seem to have a problem with Tormod's, even post-board with DSC. If Gamekeeper is removed before its trigger resolves, you don't get a creature (because of the "if you do" clause"). Maybe too few people know this for it to matter in practice, but DSC doesn't get around grave hate at all.

Oct 2005
    Bloomington, IN

If Gamekeeper is removed before its trigger resolves, you don't get a creature. Maybe too few people know this for it to matter in practice, but DSC doesn't get around grave hate at all.
    ...Nope. Can't say that was on the list of things I knew.

If they remove a gamekeeper, yeah it sucks, but then I just have to find another one.

The odds of hitting a salvager and not a diamond are somewhat low, since Salvagers is a 2-of, and diamond is a 4-of. Although it is still possible. At that point, you just go into digging mode.

And at Colsmak:
    Seriously. I'm honored that someone would want to start discussion about a deck that I made (ok, game base, but it's definately a different deck). Thanks.

I have really taken an interest in your build since seeing you play it in Louisville. I have not yet had a chance to try to work on the deck but would the manabase be too shaky to try to work intuition in the deck? The ability to fetch multiple Therpies into the yard/hand seems incredibly strong. It might not be any good, but it seems like if the manabase could take it, that would be incredibly strong.
    Team Meandeck

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

I was thinking that too, and I came up with Ancient Tomb. It doesn't look all that hot in Colsmack's build, but I think that it would help out casting Salvager and Gamekeeper easier. Colsmak, do you think that 4x Dark Rit is enough?

Also, how dangerous is Pithing Needle to this deck, and should we pack MD bounce?

Oct 2005
    Bloomington, IN

Actually, it's my build. :p

But, technicalities aside.

Pithing Needle is dangerous. I almost want to find room for 3 engineered explosives either in the main or the side. Since you can pop them for 1 off of a dark ritual. B for the casting cost and then BB for the sacrifice. Also it can be pretty nice with salvager recursion, even if you don't have all the pieces you need you can keep recurring it and blowing up stuff that doesn't have a CMC of 4.

The thing I love about this manabase is that it is so flexible around wastelands. There's only 3 lands that can be wasted, and 10 that can't. Along with the 6 fetchlands. I would be hardpressed to fit in Intuition or Ancient Tomb.

Someone suggested Plunge Into Darkness. And I'm really thinking about that. It serves as an instant speed sacrifice outlet, and it also tutors. It definately buys me time when they swords my gamekeeper and I can, in response Sacrifice him to gain 3 life and impulse for 3 life. And then 'Oath'. Seems pretty good to me.

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

My bad.:D

Plunge is great, but I think in a deck like this Diabolic Intent is far better. Sac Gamekeeper for Salvager, get LED and you're set. Of course, it IS a sorc speed tutor, so you'll have to offset their hand and/or just be quicker than their hate.

As for pithing Needle, maybe Gate to Phrexia?

Tendrils of Despair looks great IMO. Hymm for 1? Get combo pieces out? Oooooooh yeah sucka.

Oct 2005
    Bloomington, IN

Problem with Tendrils of despair, it's pure crap without the gamekeeper. Innocent Blood and Plunge at least do stuff without the gamekeeper. Same goes for Diabolic Intent. Although that is an interesting line of thought. With the D-Intent that is.

After having read this thread I came up with the following list. I haven't been able to test it yet but I think this list is to give some new ideas and of course it isn't an optimised list.

//Creatures
    3 Gamekeeper
    2 Auriok Salvager

//Kill;Combo;Utility
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    2 Conjurer’s Bauble
    1 Chromatic Sphere
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Animate Dead
    1 Dance of the Dead
    1 Necromancy
    3 Innocent Blood
    1 Krosan Reclamation

//Disruption
    4 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Engineered Explosives

//Tutor
    2 Cunning Wish
    2 Gifts Ungiven
    2 Tainted Pact

//Mana
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Forest
    1 Snow-covered-Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Snow-covered-Swamp
    1 Snow-covered-Plains
    1 Snow-covered-Island
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Gemstone Mine
    1 Forbidden Orchard
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Brass

Card choices:

I tried to include the "animate-first-turn-kill-idea".
    That's why three animaters are included.
    Otherwise Innocent Blood + animate spell might be helpfull against Gro or some other control decks with fatties.

Gifts Ungiven:
    Imagine you have Lion's Eye Diamond in hand and play GU.
    Search for Spellbomb, Salvager and 2 animate spells...

Lands:
    One aspect why there kind of land twice in the deck is GU and the other reason is not to have any problems with Tainted Pact.

Tendrils:
    Just to have another option to win...

The Sideboard may include:
    1 Brainfreeze (thrid kill option)
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Innocent Blood
    1 Tainted Pact
    1 Stroke of Genius (fourth kill option)
    1 Plunge into Darkness
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Disenchant
    1 Ray of Revelation
    and even cards like Counterspell, REB, BEB, Stifle, Chain of Vapor...

What do you think?

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

The build looks pretty good, just a few things could use some tweaking.

I really don't feel Tendrils is needed, it's a kill more spell IMO. By the time Tendrils becomes a kill spell, you've won. I don't see any advantages Tendrils has over the standard Pyrite kill. -1 Tendrils +1 Chromatic Sphere.

-1 Explosives +1 Gifts Ungiven. I'm not so sure about this. It's a very conditional card. Is a maindeck'd Explosives overkill? Gifts seems to have alot of promise in this deck.

So yeah, -1 Tendrils, -1 Explosives, +1 Chromatic +1 Gifts.

On a side note, Meddling Mage could be used as a Living Wish target vs. Needle.

I agree with you except for one point. It seems important to me to have at least one "real solution" in our MD (I don't count Cunning Wish here because there are only two in the MD, its mana cost (and cost of the targeted spell) might be high and I don't want to add another copy because of Tainted Pact). The advantage of EE is that it can be used several times with Salvager in play. Therefore I suggest to find another card to cut for EE. What about -1 Duress? Here: Cabal Therapy > Duress.

Oct 2005
    Bloomington, IN

Reaching back a bit, I think this is slightly relevent though.

Anyone see the top eight of GP Philly?

You might recognize the first decklist that was posted on this post.

Sure it wasn't me playing it, but yeah. This deck top eight'd in Philly. I think that calls for just a little bit more discussion on it.

Also I think it calls for this deck to be taken out of the new and developmental forums maybe Open Legacy, or even Legacy Metagame. Since a Win, 3rd place at two GPTs and a top eight at GP Philly says that this deck is just a bit more than just a cute combo deck.

And if anyone can get me a way to contact the guy that piloted this deck to top eight, it would be appreciated. I'd love to talk to him about his matchups and all.

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

Here's his decklist:
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Plains
    3 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp

2 Auriok Salvagers
    3 Gamekeeper

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Chromatic Sphere
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Living Wish
    4 Tainted Pact
    2 Night's Whisper
    1 Krosan Reclamation

SB:
    1 Viridian Zealot
    1 City of Brass
    2 Darksteel Colossus
    1 Ray of Revelation
    4 Tsunami
    1 Kjeldoran Dead
    1 Trinket Mage
    1 Gamekeeper
    1 Auriok Salvagers
    1 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
    1 Uktabi Orangutan

It's very similar to the builds we've been discussing, except he's got a more focused approach. Some of the ideas thrown around here help out side strategies:stalling vs Gro with Animate Dead, or maindecking EE. While you can do really funky stuff with that, those cards on their own don't focus on your strategy.

One thing's really bothering me though. Why Kagemaro as a wish target? In order to get him out, you'd have to discard your hand via LED to pay for him, and you know what that means. And sure, he is a 7/7 for 5. But no trample? No evasion? No inherent protection from removal?

Oct 2005
    Bloomington, IN

The list you just posted was one card off from the Decklist I took to the GPT in Louisville, he traded a Maga, Traitor to Mortals for a Uktabi Orangutan. Which I disagree with, you should have a SB kill card. But that's just me.

The Kagemaro was there because you can use him as beats, or as a board clearer VS goblins/random aggro. You don't always have to use LED to cast it, you can use oh, Dark ritual, or even hardcast him.

I took him out, but apparently he used it fairly well in the Iggy Pop matchup. So maybe I'll keep him in there. ::shrug::

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Moved to Open, as the deck has proven itself at Philly and elsewhere. It will have to be a bit more prevalent before it would be considered for the LMF forum, but if it continues to put up the results, that's not unlikely. - Zilla

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

I've been playing this deck, and Night's Whisper just plain pisses me off. Later, I added in Cruel Tutor (Grim Tutor's expensive), which actually did very well for me...
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

A big weakness of this deck is that Salvager can be killed in response to going off, and that instant creature kill is very rampant. Heck, most decks don't even need to SB Pithing Needles if they maindeck Swords, Gempalm Incinerator, etc. So, what to do?

Hubba hubba hubba hubba...
    Steely Resolve!

So, what do you think? Does it deserve MD slots? Of course it means that they can actually start using their Naturalizes, but IMO it provides a cheap protective shield that can be played before Salvager/Gamekeeper hits play.

Thread Information