Page 34 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Avacyn Restored Card Discussion [SIMMERING POT OF FECAL MATTER]

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Re: Avacyn Restored Card Discussion [SHITSTORM ONGOING]

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Except for some strange stuff like Serra Avenger, cards that aren't in play (or suspended) don't really have any positive interaction with Time Walk or its friends. To get something out of it, you really need some kind of a board presence. In Vintage, I would expect, it's all about plopping down a bunch of mana sources that can then be untapped and reused - a bit like a [cards]Reset[/card] that cantrips, and that you can cast on your own turn.

An issue here is that the Miracle mechanics interact relatively poorly with most of the card advantage engines people like to use - more or less by design. Because you only get one chance to Miracle per turn, a deck with heavy hand filling power will probably tend to choke on them.

Based on that, I'd be looking at decks that don't draw heavily, and tend to have a significant board presence to work well with Time Walk 2.0. More turns also means more chances to miracle. Since miracle will work on the opponent's turn too - light card draw works well with it. Finally, there are a couple of cards that can allow you to recover some value from a 'dead drawn' miracle card -- Brainstorm,Chrome Mox and, for Time Walk 2.0 Force of Will come to mind - though there are also some more obscure possibilities like Scroll Rack.

This suggests that the decks best-positioned to take advantage of Time Walk 2.0 will be ones that play 2 or 3 of Brainstorm, FoW, and Chrome Mox, and like to establish a board position.
    What Legacy decks *do* draw heavily? Seriously, name one draw spell that's played on any sort of regular basis? Standstill and Ancestral Visions see marginal play, but they're not exactly common. The rest is deck manipulation. Thought Scour sees some play, but it's primarily Ponder, Brainstorm and Sensei's Divining Top. Those are cards you use to set it up. Decks that run a bit more to the controlling side still don't really run draw. I play BUG and I run Gifts Ungiven, but not a single actual "draw" spell. Just fixing cantrips.

On this whole concept of "win more" cards. This is probably the dumbest concept that people outside of card advantage theory. The idea that because Time Walk is at its best when you already have board presence it's not worth running is so illogical that I can't understand how anyone spouts it with a straight face. If I've got board inevitability in the form of a 5 turn clock and I can play something that speeds that clock up, I'm absolutely going to do it. Every turn I deny my opponent before he's dead is one less turn for him to draw into something that turns the game around. You people understand that, otherwise you wouldn't run disruption in your Delver decks, you'd just drop a turn 1 Delver and try and race. So how you can have a disconnect between the idea that tempo matters and the idea that taking an extra turn is the best tempo there is is beyond me. That's like saying that Ancestral Recall is a win more card in control mirrors because if you can resolve Ancestral Recall, you were going to win anyway. You know what? Maybe, sometimes, that's right. I don't care. I'm going to cast it anyway, because it gives me that many more tools to deal with my opponent's bullshit. And I'm going to run it because sometimes it's going to save my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

bruizar

Don't forget green has mirri's guile and sylvan library.

also, what spikey mikey said

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
    Does beserk stompy want this? I'm really not sure.
    Berserk Stompy lacks the manipulation.

U/G Infect Stompy with Brainstorm and counter protection might be interesting, though. It does enable turn 2 kills with a T1 creature + another pump spell.

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

I had hoped for a Miracle creature. This looks unplayable, though probably not so bad in limited...
    Not so bad? Not so bad?
    Christ this is one heck of a card in limited!
    In response...Hypothek!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

On the topic of Win More - there is no such thing. You haven't won until your opponent is dead.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Conditional green sweeper? For one mana? Granted it doesn't play nice with Mongoose or Delver of Secrets (so we're generally talking turn 4 boardrecking), doesn't nab all utility creatures (Mom, Lavamancer and Stoneforger can all tap out of it) and is only playable in aggressive decks but still. Don't really see a deck for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    On the topic of Win More - there is no such thing. You haven't won until your opponent is dead.
    There are such things as win more cards, and people should avoid playing them at all costs.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Berserk Stompy lacks the manipulation.

U/G Infect Stompy with Brainstorm and counter protection might be interesting, though. It does enable turn 2 kills with a T1 creature + another pump spell.
    Infect Stompy already pulls T2 / T3 wins without conditional pump spells, though. This seems like a really good example of a time when you don't want to sink a bunch of deck stacking jank into a Miracle card - a 'not combat trick' that is also a Lure, in a deck where you want to force through as many poison counters as you're able to. If you just happen to have this in your opening 7 and no way to really stack it correctly, it's real dumb and probably worse than, say, Invigorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Of course not, but there are drawbacks in playing this particular card. You need to play basically uncastable cards that are only good when on top of your deck. You will take extra mulligans because of that. Also, the power of Time Walk comes from being able to use it when it actually matters and gives you benefit of breaking the symmetry, like when you're racing or looking for answers. You lose all that when you HAVE to cast it when you draw it, no matter if you have board position to take advantage of or not.
    You can cast Time Walk 2.0 on your opponents turn. In some ways it's better than Time Walk: it's conditional, but you can cast it at instant speed with minor setup of either BS or Top.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I can't think of a single scenario where a 3/3 flyer is bad. Why haven't they banned Razor Hippogriff yet?
    Razor Hippogriff is obviously broken. You can bring Darksteel Forge back to your hand and gain nine life! That's almost ten!
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

I think by "win more" cards, people mean cards that are good when you're ahead on board position and bad when you're behind. That doesn't sound like the kind of cards I want in my decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I think by "win more" cards, people mean cards that are good when you're ahead on board position and bad when you're behind. That doesn't sound like the kind of cards I want in my decks.
    Hrmm ya I think I didn't make it clear enough. My bad - playing cards that are by nature "win more" don't belong in decks. The strategy within a game, using an optimal list, however is to use every resource you have to make sure you don't lose a game.

Example: your opponent is dead on board - Wasteland their 4th land;
    Kill a blocker with your last removal spell to get them within lethal
    etc

By this definition, Temporal Mastery seems like a decent inclusion for SOME decks, not all. In Lands, it might just be a dead card 80% of the time. In a Planeswalker control list, it might be exceptional. The card is hard to define its power in a vacuum.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    Time Walk is not bad when you are behind. At its worst, it's neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    What Legacy decks *do* draw heavily? Seriously, name one draw spell that's played on any sort of regular basis? ...
    Dark Confidant and Ad Nauseam come to mind. (I did write 'hand filling' rather than drawing.)

On this whole concept of "win more" cards. This is probably the dumbest concept that people outside of card advantage theory. The idea that because Time Walk is at its best when you already have board presence it's not worth running is so illogical that I can't understand how anyone spouts it with a straight face. ....
    As someone more eloquent than me wrote, they really ought to be called lose-more cards. A 'win-more' card is a card that is unlikely to turn a losing situation into a winning or neutral one. (For example, something like Celestial Convergence is never going to help you come from behind.) Time Walk 2.0 is only going to do that if it's a dead draw - typically because miracle is canceled.

Temporal Mastery is already sold out on SCGs.

lol, regardless of what you think of the card, that's still hilarious.

Dark Confidant and Ad Nauseam come to mind. (I did write 'hand filling' rather than drawing.)
    Storm decks are not going to use Ad Nauseam and Temporal Mastery.

What Legacy decks *do* draw heavily? Seriously, name one draw spell that's played on any sort of regular basis? Standstill and Ancestral Visions see marginal play, but they're not exactly common. The rest is deck manipulation. Thought Scour sees some play, but it's primarily Ponder, Brainstorm and Sensei's Divining Top. Those are cards you use to set it up. Decks that run a bit more to the controlling side still don't really run draw. I play BUG and I run Gifts Ungiven, but not a single actual "draw" spell. Just fixing cantrips.
    Life from the Loam, Thoughtcast, Ad Nauseum, Dredge, Elves, Goblins, Dark Confidant, Horizon Canopy and Stoneforge Mystic would all like to wave their hands around and say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Snap_Keep View Post
    Natural Order, Moat and Nether Void all see very little play.

Chains of Mephistopheles
    Granger Guildmage
    Shadow Guildmage
    Curfew
    Three Wishes
    Land Equilibrium
    Mana Vortex
    Pongify

... i lied about Pongify.

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Temporal Mastery is already sold out on SCGs.

lol, regardless of what you think of the card, that's still hilarious.
    Sold out is SCG speak for, expect it to be $10 more tomorrow.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

That just means there are fewer people with enough money to pick up Vexing Devils.

Verrry Nice!
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I give you... Hellboy!

Does Aggro Loam want this guy?
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Thread Information