Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My day with Eva Green - top 4 at winter wonderland in Syracuse

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Re: My day with Eva Green - top 4 at winter wonderland in Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost View Post
    Grats on the finish, even if you did end up taking out a good friend and teammate of mine.

And I'd have to echo the questioning of Seal, is it really the best slot there? I know you and Anwar have done a lot of testing, I just am not sure of those slots.

And how have Sinkholes been for you?
    Sorry I had to take your friend out!
    Sinkholes have been awesome. In a deck like this the tempo boost is invaluable. Doing things like turn one ritual hyppie/thoughtseize or whatever against something like survival, and then playing snuff out on a BoP and sinkholeing their land drop in the same turn was not uncommon. It really fits well.

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate Freely View Post
    The deck is good enough that I almost wish that I had played it in the main event, and I'm not at all surprised that the two people that did play it placed so well. Congratulations to both of you.
    Thanks, and you shoulda played it in the main event At least you got to mow some decks down in the side event with it.

About seal, it wasn't very relevant in many of my matchups simply because I didn't run any of the many landstill decks that were there or decks running counterbalance. Against the red threshold player in the top8 it was a dead draw game one, but I don't think that really says much about it. If there is a lot of counterbalance or control around you it is pretty amazing and surpisingly very rarely dead.
    they haunt minds...

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    Glad to hear you like the deck! It's very strong and more importantly a blast to play.
    Just thought I'd add this. I really think you and Anwar made the best Black Varient aggro-control deck in legacy.... AGAIN!
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Bryant Cook

What do you think your combo match-up is? I played against Eva Green twice in the side event and won both times. However, I think it's a terrible match-up for me. Alix tends to think differently. What's your guys opinion?

Aug 2006
    Area 88

Quote Originally Posted by JanValentine00 View Post
    Just thought I'd add this. I really think you and Anwar made the best Black Varient aggro-control deck in legacy.... AGAIN!
    Nice work! Yeah, this deck uses many of the same principles from Red Death, just with more powerful threats and more relevant removal now that tarmogoyf is in town.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    What do you think your combo match-up is? I played against Eva Green twice in the side event and won both times. However, I think it's a terrible match-up for me. Alix tends to think differently. What's your guys opinion?
    I am a bit weary about the TES matchup simply becaus the deck can topdeck the win against you, but Eva Green's disruption can be painful. With all things said and done it is probably closer to 50/50 than most other combo is (favored against breakfast, unfavored against dredge and probably belcher, depending). I will say this: Alix's hands were less than stellar and I think he made a mulligan error when he kept a 6 card one lander with 2 cc disruption spells. He knew better, too Seal is also very relevant in the matchup I think, which is another reason I question md jitte.
    they haunt minds...

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    Nice work! Yeah, this deck uses many of the same principles from Red Death, just with more powerful threats and more relevant removal now that tarmogoyf is in town.

I am a bit weary about the TES matchup simply becaus the deck can topdeck the win against you, but Eva Green's disruption can be painful. With all things said and done it is probably closer to 50/50 than most other combo is (favored against breakfast, unfavored against dredge and probably belcher, depending). I will say this: Alix's hands were less than stellar and I think he made a mulligan error when he kept a 6 card one lander with 2 cc disruption spells. He knew better, too Seal is also very relevant in the matchup I think, which is another reason I question md jitte.
    One thing I did find was that Eva Green has some issues with a decent number of ETW tokens early. Belcher specifically since it is often lightning fast.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Isn't Krosan Grip a bit better against Counterbalance and other control decks than Seal? Grip may be weaker against discard, but it's much better against counterspells, and any artifact/enchantment that can activate instantly like Vial, Jitte or Engineered Explosives. Is the extra mana really that important?
    KIDS WITH GUNS!

Aug 2006
    Area 88

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    Isn't Krosan Grip a bit better against Counterbalance and other control decks than Seal? Grip may be weaker against discard, but it's much better against counterspells, and any artifact/enchantment that can activate instantly like Vial, Jitte or Engineered Explosives. Is the extra mana really that important?
    The main thing about seal against control decks like landstill is that you can drop it before they drop standstill a lot of the time. It also does pump tarmogoyf and fuel tombstalker in any matchups where you have no targets for it. Plus, being able to play it whenever you have the extra mana open is cool.
    they haunt minds...

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

It's strangely bizarre to see a deck I created hitting some serious T8 action. (The deck's called The Jackhammer, for those keeping track, and has been around for a longass time. The -only- card this build plays maindecked that mine doesn't is Thoughtseize, and in the current metagame Thoughtseize might be a good idea.)

How was Seal of Primordium? It seems like a little bit of a bizarre choice, and it's not something Calosso or I have ever tried. What was it there for?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Aug 2006
    Area 88

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    It's strangely bizarre to see a deck I created hitting some serious T8 action. (The deck's called The Jackhammer, for those keeping track, and has been around for a longass time. The -only- card this build plays maindecked that mine doesn't is Thoughtseize, and in the current metagame Thoughtseize might be a good idea.)

How was Seal of Primordium? It seems like a little bit of a bizarre choice, and it's not something Calosso or I have ever tried. What was it there for?
    Ah yes, I must have seen the jackhammer somewhere and based this off of it. Sorry about that. And yeah, I think thoughtseize was a good idea for the 'hammer.

Seal was there mainly for counterbalance, but also to deal with other troublesome permanents (humility, solitary confinement, vedalken shackles, aether vial, etc.), in essence providing a bit more "reach" and sometimes complementing the ld strategy nicely. The slot is up for debate but it has been really good in the past. There was also a great deal of landstill at the tournament and seal is a bomb against them in this deck, even though I didn't really run into any of them that day. If you think there is something else for this slot though, please offer up suggestions. I am coming up short in finding something better.
    they haunt minds...

Aug 2006
    Area 88

they haunt minds...

Treshplayer
    Dec 2003
    VA

I've been playing it on Workstation and I'm like 12-0 agaisn't
    Deadguy
    Dragon Stompy
    R Thresh
    W Thresh
    Angel Stax
    and some random.
    It seems like you SB out Seal for Jitte an awful lot, I think the 3 MD slots would be better served as Jitte and Seal SB but maybe thats just me.
    And I'd have to echo the questioning of Seal, is it really the best slot there?
    The only changes I made to the list is to run the fourth Bayou over a Swamp, and to run Jailers over Leylines.
    I've had it with people trying to steal Anwar's thunder by changing what is already a very solid deck. Eva Green was never meant to go the route that IBA's decks do. Anwar did not want 450 people playing his own "Rabid Wombat," only knowing it by name, but not knowing how, by whom, how long, nor why the deck was developed. On his behalf, I respectfully ask that you please refrain from working with this concept, especially without crediting the original source. While this is just a game of magical cards, the same kind of feelings are applicable in real life. Plagiarism, copyrights, academic honesty codes, the engineering code of honor, and so on.

If you want to build a Suicide deck, or any deck for that matter, begin with the cards you want to include, then test that version, make changes, test, make changes, test, make changes, test, make changes... and eventually you'll have a stronger deck. The next time around, it will take less time to refine a deck. It really isn't hard to imagine this process, only difficult to do.

Something that still confuses me about this game is either that people don't feel the need (or they think they are too inexperienced) to build their own decks, or they are somehow able to feel 'patriotic' while joining together in playing a bandwagon deck like Dragon Stompy... when, in the end, nobody really motioned for a unified movement with Eva Green, but rather each person who took an interest in his project decided they thought they could do it better on their own, or didn't think of it as a serious endeavour to begin with.

That said, congrats on the finish, Dan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. nitewolf "Professor" 9, Ph.D. View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Wait, are you saying its bad to question his card choices or even make suggestions?

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Zur View Post
    I've had it with people trying to steal Anwar's thunder by changing what is already a very solid deck.
    His thunder is largely irrelevant for a deck that I created.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Wtf???
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Everyone please cool down. Kitten asks you to.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Aug 2006
    Area 88

That's true, the jackhammer was quite an innovative concept. I take full credit for the addition of thoughtseize however, just to be clear.
    they haunt minds...

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

It's strangely bizzare to see you reference a deck that I cannot find record of anywhere on the site. Way to keep the secret tech SUPER SEKRIT.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Yeah, I totally thought Pinder posted that. Stop switching Avatars, people.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Um...posted what? I'm pretty sure no one else on the board is sporting Nick Angel's sexy mug.

edit - Oh, the Parcher quote? Well, just to clear any confusion, I take full credit for not ever making this deck ever.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    frogboy hijacked my avatar a few weeks ago because people couldnt handle all the awesome :(

Thread Information