Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds

Worlds

There's no way I'm missing Worlds this time.

I'm actually thinking about renting a car and driving. I could fly, but it looks rough to get from the hotels in NJ to the ferry without a ride.

Anyone else planning to go down? Finding people to drive down with would push me a lot more towards driving.

FYI, legacy events:
    Thursday 1:00pm $10
    iPod Legacy – Legacy Constructed – Vroom!
    Sponsored by Strike Zone
    Swiss +1 Tournament. No Single Elimination finals. Prizes based on final standings after Swiss + 1 Rounds.
    The winning player receives an 160gb iPod, 2nd = 80g, 3rd and 4th each receive iPod Shuffle, remaining prizes are current set boosters.
    Saturday 3:00pm $10
    "Box" Constructed – Legacy Constructed – Vroom!
    Limited to 64 players
    Swiss +1 Tournament. No Single Elimination finals. Prizes based on final standings after Swiss + 1 Rounds.
    Winning player receives 2 Current set Boxes, 2nd place receives 1 Box, remaining prizes are current set Boosters
    Saturday 4:00pm $40
    Magic Art Prints – Urza Block Sealed
    Limited to 32 players
    1 Urza's Saga Tournament Pack, 1 Uzra's Legacy Boosters and 1 Urza's Destiny Booster.
    The Winning player receives a Magic canvas art print, rest of top 8 receive a Magic art print, remaining prizes are Urza Block Boosters.
    Public event schedule here.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Re: Worlds

I need an ipod...this could give me an excuse to go there and trade, which is really what I want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Don't forget the alternate art foil Mirari's Wake you get just for showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Oh man, I'd love to do that Urza block draft.

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

I am going; it's too bad that hotels are so expensive up there.
    Last edited by Bardo; 11-11-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

I'll be doing the staying with my brother thing, so if anyone wants a ride from Boston, do the letting me know thing.

Banned
    Aug 2007
    I wish I didn't live in New Jersey.

i might be interested it depends on how much $$$ i would have to put up.

I can go through Rochester, Syracuse, and then through Binghamton/Scranton or Albany.

The car round trip would be ~70-90 per person, hotel would be about 150 total per person for Tuesday night through Sunday. Then misc costs like ferry, food etc. Really very reasonable.

Please do let me know if you're interested, I need to finalize plans soon. I have to know you or have someone vouch for you (I think I've met most people, though).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Akki View Post
    I can go through Rochester, Syracuse, and then through Binghamton/Scranton or Albany.

The car round trip would be ~70-90 per person, hotel would be about 150 total per person for Tuesday night through Sunday. Then misc costs like ferry, food etc. Really very reasonable.

Please do let me know if you're interested, I need to finalize plans soon. I have to know you or have someone vouch for you (I think I've met most people, though).

I was wondering if you had some people together for the trip to Worlds b/c I was interesting in going down. I might just go down by myself, but if a group of people was going from either Rochester or Syracuse I'm very interested. Let me know.
    ~Shriek~

Sep 2005
    Buffalo

I'm definitely going to try my best to be there.
    Team Unicorn: We'll Go Nuts On Your Ass. If you catch my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    Oh, child Phil Stolze. You have changed me, fundamentally.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

I live 20 miles from the city. It just so happens that 20 miles is the furthest I'll travel to get my ass beat by better players. I'll be there!
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Since no one ever got serious about driving, I'm flying down and staying at a hostel.

See you there.
    -David DeLaney

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

I'm curious about something. I've never played in a big event, is it customary to drop at a certain point if you aren't doing well? I mean I know people did at States and the like, but I just wanna face as many decks as possible and get games in, win or lose. Is that frowned upon or something? There were some stories over at WotC about people giving/getting shit for staying in with 0-2 (or worse) records. I don't give a shit about that. but if it's a courtesy thing or whatever then I'll drop, no big deal.
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/askthepro/1107

Most people drop when they have nothing more to gain.

If you have a different motive for playing than prizes, that's fine, but "serious" players don't. Also, by playing on you're further risking your rating.
    -David DeLaney

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Oh alright, thanks for the link. I don't have access to MWS or anything so I never get to play Legacy. Besides reading Primers and threads posted here I don't really even know how a combo deck goes off for instance. Just to experience these other decks would be a "gain" for me and give me some experience when facing them again in the future.

I can't say I'm all that concerned with my rating. Since you brought it up though, what "K" would these events be?

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

To anyone who is going to Worlds and playing in the Legacy Side Events, can you try and see if you can at least get the T8 decklists for these tournaments? It would be nice to include this data for the Historical T8 thread as I'm sure most of these tournaments will have more than 33 people. It will be interesting to see what kind of results we get from such side events.

I am planning on going down for a few days. Thank God I wirk for a bus company (free transportation>Cost of driving and parking) Most of Necro will be there.
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101 View Post
    To anyone who is going to Worlds and playing in the Legacy Side Events, can you try and see if you can at least get the T8 decklists for these tournaments?
    I'll see what I can do. I'm working sides Saturday and Sunday so I can probably get the Saturday legacy lists.
    -David DeLaney

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Would anyone happen to know if there is a place for people to watch games? In otherwords if I bring my wife would she even be within eye shot or would I be at some long table in a room with only players allowed?

Sides are generally pretty open and chaotic, so she should probably be able to stand/sit right behind you most of the time. That might not always be the case for something like a PTQ, though.

Plus you can watch Worlds, see artists, and gunsling with various pros and WotC guys - there's lots to do.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information