Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Boros Deck Wins

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Re: [Deck] Boros Deck Wins

The deck is interesting, but sure as hell not a boros deck: it contains only 6 red spells (if I counted well) and exactly 3 burn spells. Seems more like white weenie with a splash for its gameplan strategy.

Boros is one of the last pure aggro decks in the format, which is awesome. You probebly should discuss this one in a new thread or in some White Weenie thread that already exists because it changes the deck from its bases, which are creatures+burn=win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Eh, I posted the deck under boros cause although my list is way out in left field I actually started with a list on this very forum and went from there. I ended up throwing in alot of cards from the porfait beatdown thread on this forum to come up with something .. Interesting but definitly not as focused as traditional boros. Both have their strengths and weaknesses I don't think I've necessarily made the deck better I've just traded one thing (speed) for another (Resiliency) which is more my personal playing style. I think it at least deserves discussion and I think this is the place to do it because its still more boros than porfait I think.

Dark Boros - the evolution continues.

I decided that a Black splash for Bob would help my ability to topdeck more burn. I ultimately just swapped out Savanah lions from the main gencon list for this:

Dark Boros Wins

3 - Isamaru
    4 - Grim Lavamancer
    4 - Figure of Destiny
    4 - Dark Confidant
    2 - Jotun Grunt

4 - Lightning Bolt
    4 - Chain Lightning
    4 - Magma Jet
    4 - Lightning Helix
    3 - Price of Progress
    3 - Fireblast

3 - Plateau
    1 - Badlands
    1 - Scrublands
    4 - Mountain
    3 - Plains
    1 - Swamp
    4 - Bloodstained Mire
    1 - Polluted Delta
    3 - Windswept Heath

Sideboard usually consists of:

3 Shattering Spree
    2 Jotun Grunt
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    4 Ethersworn Canonist

but can also consist of

Test of Faith
    Disenchant
    Angel's Song
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I've been playing this list or something close to it at my weekly Legacy tourney and done quite well. However, I feel the metagame shifting towards more combo.

Ad Naseum combo and/or Tezzeret- Painter's Servant combo. The list I have hasn't performed well against those - although I have an amazing ability of having Ad Naseum players just kill themselves.

I curious if people think that this can still be a good choice in a metagame where aggro/control players are moving to combo.

Are Ethersworn Canonist and Angel's song my best bets vs. combo, or should I look at other cards. I'm relatively new to Legacy.. are there some notable Black/Red cards I could be using?

Thanks for any help.

deckcheck.net guy

Aug 2007
    Germany

What is Angel's Song? Both Angelsong and Angel's Grace won't do a thing against Ad Nauseam and Painter (unless the Ad Nauseam decks are running Grapeshot as their only win condition, then Angel's Grace works). Obvious anti-combo cards are Thoughtseize, Duress, Chalice of the Void, Orim's Chant (gotten worse with Ad Nauseam), Pyrostatic Pillar and Thorn of Amethyst.
    Team SPOD
    [23:08:50] <@Anusien> You want me to actually test?
    [23:09:02] <frogboy> I thought you already had
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Those better times were when you were ignorant of the state of things.

My brain and hands weren't on the same page there.

I was looking for Gilded Light.

Jun 2008
    My store: http://tinyurl.com/6p9n2vw

Has anyone tried out Cave-In is the sideboard in place of Pyrokinesis? Or for that matter Rolling Earthquake? After being pretty underwhelmed with Pyro in my sideboard but recognizing a need for some kind of card like this (against goblins, I've thrown the Pyrokinesis in again Belcher to try to hold of Empty the Warrens tokens, put in against Affinity to get Disciples, etc), and thinking about either Cave In or Rolling Earthquake, I ended up with pros/cons:
    pro's:
    +wipes out ALL Empty tokens
    +damages players
    +kills zombies from ichorid (if you aren't dead already...)

cons:

-Cave-In and Rolling Earthquake are sorcery, so can't kill Lackey on turn 1 (which isn't always a huge con, if I were to pyro its
    likely that I would try to hit other cards besides just 1 for 1 on lackey)
    -kills my dudes, which can be played around all wrath-style

Any thoughts?

Jan 2009
    Germany

I've been playing this deck for the last 3 months (since I found it on "germagic"). In smaller tournaments (~20 people) I've succeeded as far as second/ fourth place, while mostly making top8.

Boros of Destiny:

4x Swrods to Plowshares
    4x Lightning Helix
    4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Magma Jet
    3x Price of Progress

4x Goblin Legionnaire
    3x Magus of the Moon
    3x Figure of Destiny
    3x Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    3x Silver Knight
    3x Mogg Fanatic
    3x Jötun Grunt

4x Mountain
    4x Plains
    4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Plateau

SB:
    1x Magus of the Moon
    2x Disenchant
    2x Abolish
    3x Sulfuric Vortex
    3x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x Red Elemental Blast

I didn't change much from the version I found on the web:
    The 3 Price of Progress are my doing, as are the 3 Sulfuric Vortex.
    Basically I think the deck is pretty mainstream, playing burn, good critters and burn-creatures as well as nonbasic-hate mainboard. The only interesting thing is the Figure of Destiny, which has won its share of games already. True it'll probably be killed, but if it is not it's just a really good threat.

Magus of the Moon mainboard and you won't have a problem with landstill I thought as I looked at the list first - of course it doesn't work out like that. Like the Figure the Magus has won games, but it is killed far too easily to just wreck decks (not saying it can't wreck decks).

During the time I played this deck I lost to combo, won against nearly everything creature-based and had quite a hard time with landstill.

I hope this might be inspiring to you guys.

BMFP
    Jan 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
    I've been playing this deck for the last 3 months (since I found it on "germagic"). In smaller tournaments (~20 people) I've succeeded as far as second/ fourth place, while mostly making top8.

Boros of Destiny:

4x Swrods to Plowshares
    4x Lightning Helix
    4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Magma Jet
    3x Price of Progress

4x Goblin Legionnaire
    3x Magus of the Moon
    3x Figure of Destiny
    3x Silver Knight
    3x Mogg Fanatic
    3x Jötun Grunt

4x Mountain
    4x Plains
    4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Plateau

SB:
    1x Magus of the Moon
    2x Disenchant
    2x Abolish
    3x Sulfuric Vortex
    3x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x Red Elemental Blast

I didn't change much from the version I found on the web:
    The 3 Price of Progress are my doing, as are the 3 Sulfuric Vortex.
    Basically I think the deck is pretty mainstream, playing burn, good critters and burn-creatures as well as nonbasic-hate mainboard. The only interesting thing is the Figure of Destiny, which has won its share of games already. True it'll probably be killed, but if it is not it's just a really good threat.

Magus of the Moon mainboard and you won't have a problem with landstill I thought as I looked at the list first - of course it doesn't work out like that. Like the Figure the Magus has won games, but it is killed far too easily to just wreck decks (not saying it can't wreck decks).

During the time I played this deck I lost to combo, won against nearly everything creature-based and had quite a hard time with landstill.

I hope this might be inspiring to you guys.
    Don't run swords.
    Best play in magic: Tundra, vial, - Force vial-Daze force...I win.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCage View Post
    Don't run swords.
    QFT.
    If you have problems with landstill, just run more Vortex and Price of progress. They're really good in this matchup.
    You can just play more burn in the Swords slot (Chain lightning, magma jet or fireblast).
    If you really feel the need for critter removal other than burn then play the new "swords" card coming out. At least don't give them life.
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop

BMFP
    Jan 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    QFT.
    If you have problems with landstill, just run more Vortex and Price of progress. They're really good in this matchup.
    You can just play more burn in the Swords slot (Chain lightning, magma jet or fireblast).
    If you really feel the need for critter removal other than burn then play the new "swords" card coming out. At least don't give them life.
    What does QFT mean?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

What does QFT mean?
    Quoted for truth.

I agree with swords sucks. Maybe Path of Exile from the new set would help out better.

BMFP
    Jan 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Quoted for truth.

I agree with swords sucks. Maybe Path of Exile from the new set would help out better.
    Path would be ok but honestly boros has the ability to reach past goyf and can't loose that, goyfs dont stop grunt and mancer.

Why do so many people play Isamaru? Isn't he terrible late game and when you only run 3 what are the odds you always see him early game?

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Frank The Tank View Post
    Why do so many people play Isamaru? Isn't he terrible late game and when you only run 3 what are the odds you always see him early game?
    Turn 1: 32%
    Turn 2: 35%
    Turn 3: 39%

Path would be ok but honestly boros has the ability to reach past goyf and can't loose that, goyfs dont stop grunt and mancer.
    I didn't notice: he doesn't play Lavamancer.

So, Arakasi, here's your list modified with my suggestions:

0x Swrods to Plowshares
    4x Lightning Helix
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Magma Jet
    4x Price of Progress
    2-4x Chain Lightning / Fireblast

4x Goblin Legionnaire
    0x Magus of the Moon
    4x Figure of Destiny
    0x Silver Knight
    4x Mogg Fanatic
    3x Jötun Grunt
    2-4x Grim Lavamancer

4x Mountain
    4x Plains
    4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Plateau

SB:
    1-3x Magus of the Moon
    0x Disenchant
    0x Abolish
    4x Duergar Hedge Mage
    4x Sulfuric Vortex
    2-3x Umezawa's Jitte
    2-3x Red Elemental Blast

Card choices:
    - 0 Silver knights: They're good against burn and small critters. Unfortunately Burn and red creatures are played just by Burn, UGr thresh and Goblins. It's suboptimal against all the other decks.
    - 4 Figure of destiny: The deck needs a 2-power drop on turn 1. Figure of destiny is also great in the middle/late game.
    - 0 magus of the moon: It can win you some matches, but there will be times you will not have 3 lands to play it, and people are already fetching basics against you due to MD Price of Progress.
    - 0 Swords to plowshares: giving life to your opponent just sucks when you're trying to deal exactly 20 dmg in little time as possible. It also sucks against creature-less decks (landstill/stacks/combo/MUC...)
    - 0 Disenchant/Abolish: Duergar Hedge mage is just better in those cases unless the problem is Humility. It gives a 2/2 body for free, it's difficult to Counterbalance, sometimes it kills both an artifact and an enchantment (CB+Dreadnough, Ghostly prison+Chalice@1, Seismic Assault+Mox Diamond...)
    - 2-4 Grim Lavamancer: Recurring source of damage without needing the attack phase. Shrinks opponent's goyfs and a burn spell+Lavamncer activation kills Goyf/Tombstalker. It doesn't have great synergy with Grunt, but it's worth it anyway.
    - +1 Price of progress, +1 Sulfuric vortex: you said you have some problems with Landstill. Those cards are here to solve those problems.
    - 2-4 chain lightning/fireblast: more burn spells instead of swords to plowshares. Fits the removal slot equally well, and it's better against control decks. Fireblast is not easy on the manabase, but gives more reach, food for lavamancer/goyf and it's not Counterbalanceable.

BMFP
    Jan 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Turn 1: 32%
    Turn 2: 35%
    Turn 3: 39%

I didn't notice: he doesn't play Lavamancer.

So, Arakasi, here's your list modified with my suggestions:

0x Swrods to Plowshares
    4x Lightning Helix
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Magma Jet
    4x Price of Progress
    2-4x Chain Lightning / Fireblast

4x Goblin Legionnaire
    0x Magus of the Moon
    4x Figure of Destiny
    0x Silver Knight
    4x Mogg Fanatic
    3x Jötun Grunt
    2-4x Grim Lavamancer

4x Mountain
    4x Plains
    4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Plateau

SB:
    1-3x Magus of the Moon
    0x Disenchant
    0x Abolish
    4x Duergar Hedge Mage
    4x Sulfuric Vortex
    2-3x Umezawa's Jitte
    2-3x Red Elemental Blast

Card choices:
    - 0 Silver knights: They're good against burn and small critters. Unfortunately Burn and red creatures are played just by Burn, UGr thresh and Goblins. It's suboptimal against all the other decks.
    - 4 Figure of destiny: The deck needs a 2-power drop on turn 1. Figure of destiny is also great in the middle/late game.
    - 0 magus of the moon: It can win you some matches, but there will be times you will not have 3 lands to play it, and people are already fetching basics against you due to MD Price of Progress.
    - 0 Swords to plowshares: giving life to your opponent just sucks when you're trying to deal exactly 20 dmg in little time as possible. It also sucks against creature-less decks (landstill/stacks/combo/MUC...)
    - 0 Disenchant/Abolish: Duergar Hedge mage is just better in those cases unless the problem is Humility. It gives a 2/2 body for free, it's difficult to Counterbalance, sometimes it kills both an artifact and an enchantment (CB+Dreadnough, Ghostly prison+Chalice@1, Seismic Assault+Mox Diamond...)
    - 2-4 Grim Lavamancer: Recurring source of damage without needing the attack phase. Shrinks opponent's goyfs and a burn spell+Lavamncer activation kills Goyf/Tombstalker. It doesn't have great synergy with Grunt, but it's worth it anyway.
    - +1 Price of progress, +1 Sulfuric vortex: you said you have some problems with Landstill. Those cards are here to solve those problems.
    - 2-4 chain lightning/fireblast: more burn spells instead of swords to plowshares. Fits the removal slot equally well, and it's better against control decks. Fireblast is not easy on the manabase, but gives more reach, food for lavamancer/goyf and it's not Counterbalanceable.
    I also still like the two of Druegar Hedge mage main, he gets rid of chalice and counterbalance.

Jan 2009
    Germany

Thanks for your help - I'll test this list a bit and tell you more if I run into anything terrible.
    About the Hedge-Mages: Yeah they do generate card advantage but the do not kill humility, which pretty much neutralizes this deck (at least my old build...).
    Besides what do you guys do about combo? Just accept the auto-loss?

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Thanks for your help - I'll test this list a bit and tell you more if I run into anything terrible.
    About the Hedge-Mages: Yeah they do generate card advantage but the do not kill humility, which pretty much neutralizes this deck (at least my old build...).
    Kinda. You do have options though, namely Pyrostatic Pilar, Aethersworn Cannonist, Orim's Chant, Abeyance, Gilded Light, and Chalice of the Void. Of those options, Aethersworn Cannonist and Chalice of the Void are most effective, but they're only bump-stops, and combo comes prepared to deal with them. Of course, they slow your opponent down enough to race them.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Humility isn't heavily played. It's usually a 2of in some Landstill builds, so about what? 5% of the meta? While counterbalance is actually more widely played. There's no point in running suboptimal cards, having "the fear". Also, it's not like Landstill matchup is decided by creatures after turn 4. It's all about burn/vortex by then. And also, it's not like Humility kills your creatures dead, they're just underpowered to, say, a little less than half their power.
    Yeah.

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Quote Originally Posted by raharu View Post
    Kinda. You do have options though, namely Pyrostatic Pilar, Aethersworn Cannonist, Orim's Chant, Abeyance, Gilded Light, and Chalice of the Void. Of those options, Aethersworn Cannonist and Chalice of the Void are most effective, but they're only bump-stops, and combo comes prepared to deal with them. Of course, they slow your opponent down enough to race them.
    I (and we) forgot Runed Halo and True Believer for the combo match.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Not much activity on the thread so I figured I'd ask "the internets" for your opinion on:

Genju of the Spires

Can possibly be more mana intensive than FoD, in the long run, but also puts your opponent on a much, much faster clock than FoD. It's a blocker that isn't activated until you need it and can beat Goyf 95/100 times. When it dies, the card comes back to hand making this a very expendable blocker. Same principal as Fireblast or Shard Volley, you're potentially sacrificing a land(s) to remove a significant threat and/or put a hard clock on your opponent. On paper, I think it looks amazing since you're burning clear a path for attackers and this guy does more damage than any of the other beaters in the deck.

Admittedly I haven't played it yet in a Boros deck as I am waiting for some fetchlands and my final Plateau. Does anyone have any experience using it or an opinion on playing this card in Boros?

JWB

Thread Information