Page 29 of 129 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Solidarity (Reset High Tide)

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Re: [DTB] Solidarity (Reset High Tide)

If multiple Glowriders are bothering me, I'd rather wish for Echoing Truth...
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss
    If multiple Glowriders are bothering me, I'd rather wish for Echoing Truth...
    Glowrider can be supported by Mom or SoFI just as True Believer, the effect is just more devastating as both, Cunning Wish and bounce suddenly cost more.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Right. It's just that
    1. the percentages of facing a mono white deck packing Mother of Runes and Glowrider at a tournament are pretty low.
    2. The percentages of them having cast both cards before turn 4 are pretty low.
    3. Your percentages of being able to counter Glowrider are much higher.
    4. Since you have won game 1, the percentages of losing a match against them (which is: losing game 2 AND 3 against them) because of Mother of Runes and Glowrider are pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel
    Glowrider can be supported by Mom or SoFI just as True Believer, the effect is just more devastating as both, Cunning Wish and bounce suddenly cost more..
    Evacuation doesn't help this at all. If Glowrider hits the table, I'd rather spend 7 mana (for Cunning Wish and Echoing Truth) than 10 mana (Cunning Wish and Evacuation) to bounce it.

Evacuation is by far the weakest card in the sideboard.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss
    Evacuation doesn't help this at all. If Glowrider hits the table, I'd rather spend 7 mana (for Cunning Wish and Echoing Truth) than 10 mana (Cunning Wish and Evacuation) to bounce it.

Evacuation is by far the weakest card in the sideboard.
    Well, yes, but it does give you an out against Mom+Glowrider, I guess that's the point here. You can either concede to that or not. Then again, spending 6 mana to bounce it is difficult enough and gives enough time for AS to win. I feel compelled to agree with you really. You'll win against AS often enough without Evacuation.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Basically, if Angel Stompy gets Mother of Runes and Glowrider, you're probably going to lose. Without Evacuation, you're definitely going to lose. Evacuation gives you an out against this rather unlikely, but still possible (I'm currently running them both) situation. It will probably come in much more handy in other bad aggro matchups, but if you're playing in a meta with some Angel Stompy, it's probably worth siding. You should win against other bad aggro anyway.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Does Spell Snare have a shot at the sideboard for Threshold? It counters Meddling Mage, Werebear and Counterspell. It also hits Hymn and Sinkhole.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man
    Basically, if Angel Stompy gets Mother of Runes and Glowrider, you're probably going to lose.

If you have MWS, I would be more than happy to disavail you of this notion.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Oct 2003
    Brisbane, Australia

A quick note, does anyone feel that there is any room for any non-instants in the deck? I know that they're worthless and dead draws while the combo is going off, but so is land, and there are some pretty powerful non-instants out there that may facilitate the deck going off better.
    I've found that i usually end up casting at least two-three of either opt/brainstorm/impulse (avg dig is 3) which means that you see the first 16-20 cards or so (7 cards, 3 draws, 6-10 thru draw) so it would be pretty safe to assume that you could get something down to set up the combo.

I know that this goes against the pretense of the deck, but is it even worth considering?
    "I have absolutely nothing to say"

May 2005

What cards are you talking about specifically? I don't like the idea of running non-instants. I've seen people run things like Chill, but there isn't really anything that is good enough to make me consider running non-instants.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

The best sorcery that could be run in this deck to set up the combo would be Merchant Scroll, since it acts as Demonic Tutor in a deck full of blue instants.

I tested a lot with Quicken and Merchant Scroll, but seriously, it's not needed in this deck. Apparently, you don't need Demonic Tutor in a deck full of draw spells... :)

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Suggesting non instants in Solidarity, especially when not even mentioning Quicken, shows a very bad understanding of what this deck does. Regardless of the fact that you know that they would all be dead draws, I'm not sure you understand quite how awful that is. You can't cantrip into a Chill, or Helm, or whatever. That's just terrible. Even if you ran only 4, it would still ruin games that you should have won. It turns games into coinflips on whether or not you're going to drop your permanents before going off, or drawing into them and screwing you. The deck works wonderfully without them, They've all been tried, and they go against the gameplan.
    Last edited by troopatroop; 04-22-2006 at 04:00 PM.

In response to the 3/4 debate on Meditate, I'm really seeing Deep6er's point on having 6 copies. When I started testing, it went for 4 Meditates because a random from my local group helped me play the deck. Almost instantly, I thought about (a) finding some other draw-4 or draw-7, hopefully at instant speed, or (b) putting Meditate in the wishboard. Too often do I have multiple cunning wish in hand and not enough draw. Fizzling to drawing crap sucks. Hard.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Have you ever tried wishing for Stroke of Genius? I'm currently testing 4 main. I've been Wishing for Stroke of Genius a lot as a replacement for Meditate in my board. In some situations it is good, but a lot of times, I feel that I'd simply rather have a Meditate. There are even times when I've had to pay 10 mana to draw four, when Meditate in the board would have saved me 4 of that mana. I think I'll switch to testing 3/4 and see if it makes me fizzle more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man
    Have you ever tried wishing for Stroke of Genius? I'm currently testing 4 main. I've been Wishing for Stroke of Genius a lot as a replacement for Meditate in my board. In some situations it is good, but a lot of times, I feel that I'd simply rather have a Meditate. There are even times when I've had to pay 10 mana to draw four, when Meditate in the board would have saved me 4 of that mana. I think I'll switch to testing 3/4 and see if it makes me fizzle more.
    I don't own the deck, but I have played and tested against it a lot in my meta gauntlet, and let me tell you, Stroke is one of the best cards in the board, not only because it functions as a big draw spell, but also because this deck can often generate an obscene amount of mana with which to Stroke out an opponent. This is invaluable against decks that have SB'd Gaea's Blessings, or some way of making Brain Freeze less effective. It definately deserves it's spot.
    KIDS WITH GUNS!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

You misunderstood me. I wasn't at all saying that Stroke of Genius doesn't deserve a slot in the board. I was saying that without Meditate in the board, I often had to wish for Stroke of Genius as my only draw spell in the board, and would often only cast it for 3 or 4 so that I would have enough mana to continue to combo. Because of this I think there is a definite need for another draw in the side. That's all I was trying to say, sorry it was confusing.

Chief Head Chief of the Department of Redundancy Department
    Dec 2005
    Massachusetts

I assume that you'd need to Wish for the sideboarded draw spell when comboing out, correct? In that case, would Three Wishes be any good in the sideboard as an additional draw spell? It would let you run all four Meditates in the main, and still have access to a decent draw spell (albeit slightly weaker than Meditate) via Cunning Wish.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

How about Three Wishes on the side? Would it be good enough to act as a pseudo Meditate in case you need to wish for draw. From the sound of it, 3 cards is often enough draw, and it's definately cheaper than to draw off Stroke.

The Running GAGG guy

Nov 2003
    Syracuse area/Geneseo, NY

Depending on your metagame, Three Wishes could be a replacement for the oft-useless Evacuation in the board.
    Running GAGG

Current Foil Dream Thrush count: 23

I've moved a Meditate to MD after some testing. The catch is, I replaced it in the board with Fact or Fiction. It has been working out well for me in testing today. Has anyone else tried FoF?
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Fact or Fiction seems a little too mana intensive. During the combo, it basically says: "Look at the top 5 cards of your library, if your opponent isn't completely retarded, take one of those cards and put it into your hand." There is a card that does the same for two mana - Peer through Depths.

I haven't tested it, but how often do you get two or more relevant cards off a FoF? I have actually played Peer through Depths in the sideboard as a one-of sometimes, but it wasn't really needed.

Thread Information