Page 20 of 129 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Solidarity (Reset High Tide)

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

There's a point that seems relevant; with Pikula's success, it seems like black, for so long the red-headed step-child of Legacy, will be back in force. I saw people starting to throw together the deck as we were watching the finals. The absence of a strong black presence in the meta-game was a huge boon to Solidarity; if it returns, that seems highly problematic for the deck. Thoughts?

*Team Bikini High-Five*

Edited By SpatulaOfTheAges on 1131951871
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

I think this is a very relevant point. It should also be added that black is making a resurgence also in the Tog archetype with the growing popularity of the dredge mechanic. A lot of these builds are running Therapy, with Duress either maindecked or in the board. It looks like black will no longer be the least-played color, and this doesn't bode well for Solidarity.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Congrats to Green, the new Black of Legacy. Congrats to Black, the new White of Legacy. Congrats to White, the new Blue of Legacy.

Blue and red, well, They're pretty much still Blue and Red.

Oct 2003
    Muskegon, Michigan.

Yeah, I guess It's very bad for solidarity. Pikula had a decent deck, but suicide black I think is still not that totally awesome. As far as how i did, I made day 2, to go 0-5 to Goblins, NQG (The top 4 list), Ravager, Goblins, Goblins. I lost intrested almost after facing NQG...
    Still kickin' it combo school.

May 2005

I played Solidarity, coming in 75th with a 6-2 record. My loses were to Sligh and Red Deck Wins that both raced the hell out of me. I'm pretty happy with my performance though. Seven out of eight matches were red, three being Goblins. Congratulations to Gearhart, your matches were probably the most fun to watch.

Nov 2005
    Syracuse NY

I played solidarity and first round played this guy named Jessie who was playing stax vault, ity was a great match and we actually drew which put me in the draw bracket all day, not good for me. I was wondering if anyone knows him, I'd like to talk with him again. He said he was from VA and knows Gearhart since the two of them were chatting with me on solidarity tech after that first round. I had a blast playing the deck and will continue to do so in the following legacy events that occur in my region.

Please change your text color to something that doesn't burn my eyes out---Frogboy

Edited By frogboy on 1132073433

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Ok, so here's the newest list and a couple of things that I found.

4 High Tide
    4 Opt
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Peek
    4 Impulse
    4 Reset
    3 Brain Freeze
    2 Twincast
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Meditate
    3 Turnabout
    4 Force of Will
    2 Flash of Insight

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    12 Island

Sideboard
    1 Meditate
    1 Turnabout
    1 Words of Wisdom
    1 Stroke of Genius
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Rebuild
    1 Evacuation
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    4 Hydroblast
    (Edit: Oops, I forgot the sideboard. Thanks to the guy who PM'd me and brought that up.)

Now, on to a couple of interesting things to note.
    1) Contrary to popular belief, High Tide was NOT hated out of the format and in fact the only real "hate" cards that I came across were things that were invaluable in other combo matchups in general. There was NOBODY playing Sirocco or other extremely narrow hate cards.

2)I finished 11-3 out of the two days. Here were my three losses.

Paul Lyons with Goblins/w. Game 1 I beat him. Game 2 He ABEYANCES me. I responded with ABEYANCE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! and lost the game. Game 3 I make a retarded mistake involving abeyance that cost me the game.

Michael Krumb with Affinity. Game 1 my hand is insane but I had to main phase Impulse to hit the third land (I had the turn 3 go off in hand) and I was unable to get around the vialed Meddling Mage. Game 2 he has ALL FOUR MEDDLING MAGES. I'm not going to beat that.

Dennis Tsao with R/w/g Zoo thing? Game 1 he drops turn two Pyrostatic Pillar. I respond with "Are you serious? You play maindecked Pillars? Are you joking me?" I then proceed to inquire about his goblin matchups and he responds with "Pillar is insane against goblins." I neglect to mention that his deck curves at 2 and just calmly lose. Game 2 He has no idea what I'm playing but it doesn't matter he drops turn 3 Pillar and I still don't have the blast. Ridiculous. Let me clarify something, I'm definitely not bitter but he says he was 6-0 against goblins and lost to Wombat and Landstill. His manabase was terrible at best and he had no draw engine to speak of. I don't know man.

Anyway, let me say that Peek is FUCKING INSANE. Congratulations to Anwar (AnwarA101) for the suggestion a LONG time ago and his continuing insistence of its inclusion in the maindeck. In case you're curious, I pulled the Twincast from the board and replaced it with a Meditate. I found that it's so unbelievably important to keep the 60-40 matchup against goblins consistent through the match and pulling out some of the strength against control is fine because of the deck's already favorable matchup against control.

Edited By Deep6er on 1132262488
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

First of all, congratulations on your finish.

Could you please explain why Peek is so good? I haven't tested it or anything but it seems that most of the time it would just be U to draw a card. Does knowing your opponents hand really help that much? How exactly does it help the Goblin matchup?

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Anyway, let me say that Peek is FUCKING INSANE. Congratulations to Anwar (AnwarA101) for the suggestion a LONG time ago and his continuing insistence of its inclusion in the maindeck. In case you're curious, I pulled the Twincast from the board and replaced it with a Meditate. I found that it's so unbelievably important to keep the 60-40 matchup against goblins consistent through the match and pulling out some of the strength against control is fine because of the deck's already favorable matchup against control.
    QFT. Peek was something I mentioned to some people a couple months ago as something to go into Solidarity as well as Gro. Being able to see the opponent's hand is incredible as it shows whether or not they have a bluff, and also gives you an estimate as to how much time you have to work with to set up combo. Note that in Gro, eot Peek to turn 2 Meddling Mage has tits written all over it.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Peek-> Therapy in Tog also seems to have big jugs.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

I played 3 Sirocco in my sideboard at GP: Philly, playing Zoo. Sadly, I never once played against Goblins, or Solidarity-but I did get my butt handed to me by Lam Pham.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fairly obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Dark Ritual and Wild Cantor do produce mana. Pretending they don't won't change the function of the cards.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

First of all, congratulations to your 9th place finish at the Grand Prix... Good job! :)

So, on to the changes you made to the deck. Just let me get this straight. You cut one Meditate and one Twincast from the maindeck to include Peek, right? You also cut one Twincast from the Sideboard for a Meditate.

Now, you only have 3 cards in your maindeck, that provide you with card advantage (not counting Twincasts). Doesn't this seem to be a problem? I'm sure Peek is great, I will most definitelly test it, but somehow it feels wrong to cut Meditate and Twincast for it. Wouldn't you rather cut some other cantrip, like Opt?
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

Nov 2004
    across the ocean

most versions play 3 medidate main and the 4th in side to be tutored for with cunning wish so that hardly seems to be the issue

but 11-3 is a nice finish indeed

any news on how other tide decks fared ?

coverage of the GP only gives us top 8 decks and some randomly selected decks but not much statistics about what decks were being played and how they did
    God has a good excuse for why things in our world are as messed up as they are ... He doesn't exist

Nov 2005
    West Chester

First off I have to say that watching Deep6er playing at GP Philly was highly amusing. I was part of the Zebra Herd at the GP, and it was awesome having someone interesting to watch instead of the normal boring, stolid play that most people showed. 'grats to Deep6er for your finish, and for displaying the dominance of MTGSource over TheManaDrain (I think round 5 day 2??). I don't play legacy much, I'm mainly a 5-color player, but after seeing the diversity of the field this past weekend, I may try to put together something. I don't know if any other Tide decks finished well, I think two or three made day two. Lam made it to the Top 8, his deck was interesting, but he got smashed by Pikula. There were a lot of Flame Vault decks, most of which did pretty horrible. The Game was there in number, one person showed up trying to run the Colossus/Dragon Flame tech that doesn't work. There was a BRU home grown control deck that did pretty well, running stuff like Maher, Fire/Ice, Daze, and Lavamancer. It looked like it was almost a Fish base that had gone horribly, horribly wrong. I'm pretty sure one WW deck made T8, along with two Goblins. Affinity was there in number, lots of them made day two, but I don't think any T8ed. Iggy Pop was probably the most interesting deck I saw, it uses Ill Gotten Gains and Dark/Cabal ritual to set up a huge Tendrils. Pikula's deck looked really solid. Sideboard StP and Darkblast provided good control against anything with little creatures (maindeck Engineered Plague was great for him against little red men). Oh, and I saw lots of people playing SB Tivadar's Crusade, which made me happy (I love that card - even if it is mostly useless). That's about all I remember from the weekend.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges
    There's a point that seems relevant; with Pikula's success, it seems like black, for so long the red-headed step-child of Legacy, will be back in force. I saw people starting to throw together the deck as we were watching the finals. The absence of a strong black presence in the meta-game was a huge boon to Solidarity; if it returns, that seems highly problematic for the deck. Thoughts?

*Team Bikini High-Five*
    While the rise of black decks maybe a big problem for Solidarity isn't the 3 top8 finishes for Gro an even bigger problem? Pikula's deck and Gro have the same elements that make it a positive matchup against Solidarity - disruption/counters + a clock. I saw almost all of David's matches on Day 2 and I saw him beat control decks, but aggro-control would have been another story.

Legacy Adept
    Aug 2004
    NYC

Just a very quick note:

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta

should almost certainly be

3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta

As I have seen many a deck side out completely useless card for Pithing Needles.

I know it is quite insignificant, but it can occasionally make the difference.

Anyway, great job Gearhart. I was pulling for you the whole way. Just out of curiosity, how many games did you lose to not finding Tide?
    "Whatever happens, happens."

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

1) People will always say switch the Fetches. I'm never going to. People who side in Pithing Needles just in the small hope that they hit a fetch are losing the game anyway, so it makes little difference.

2) I only lost 2 games to not finding Tide.

3) Thanks. I was pulling for me too. :)
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

What strategie, sideboard Cards are you goingt to play against Pox, or heavy Discard Decks?

I've played 10 roungs against pox and lost all 10!!!

The Discard ist too much! You cant go into Combo, because the Carddraw is missing, or the Untap spells...
    Is there something against this Deck type?

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

No. Actually we don't have an answer to heavy discard and land destruction. Solidarity's plan on dealing with this problem has always been hoping that Pox won't be played at a good tournament.
    Sadly (well, from the Solidarity player's point of view), with Chris Pikula's success at the Grand Prix and the rise of Black White Aggro Control in Legacy, this will most likely change in the future.
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss
    No. Actually we don't have an answer to heavy discard and land destruction. Solidarity's plan on dealing with this problem has always been hoping that Pox won't be played at a good tournament.
    Sadly (well, from the Solidarity player's point of view), with Chris Pikula's success at the Grand Prix and the rise of Black White Aggro Control in Legacy, this will most likely change in the future.
    Yes you do. You have the ability to go U/w and run cards like Spiritual Focus in the sideboard. White gives you access to instants like Abeyance anyway and possibly cards like Solitary Confinement which can be abused in the way that Enchantress abuses it.(although that seems way to slow and vulnerable to Vindicate, as well as kicking your normal draw phase in the junk...just a thought). Someone else mentioned Misdirection in another thread relating to this discussion, as shooting a Hymn back at a Black player is a fine way to screw with their strategy. Perhaps a higher proportion of early game conditional countermagic ala Daze and Force Spike might become necessary. Who knows? But if the archetype is truly so fragile that it cannot adapt, then does it truly deserve to be a DTB as opposed to a spectacular metagame deck?
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Thread Information