Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Re: [Deck] The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

I've been out this month due to exams. How did the budget versions worked? I will add the list on the first post if they worked well.

I also concur that chrome mox is too much card disadvantage for this deck. That's the reason I pack the lotus petals instead.

Yah I think if u add a third color to the deck the deck becomes to slow.

But if u go white
    Teeg, heros reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by sasa_batora View Post
    Teeg is not good, cause You cannot play Cutters and Silences.
    You're only half right. Go read Gaddock Teeg again.

Back during Planar Choas, I was playing this deck when I saw Kavu Predator.

The build I have been running is like this:

4 elvish spirit guide
    4 bayou
    1 swamp
    3 windswept health
    2 polluted delta

4 dark confidant
    3 rancor
    2 berserk
    4 birds of paradise
    4 llanowar elves
    4 duress
    3 cabal therapy
    4 kavu predator
    4 false cure
    2 elves of deep shadow

4 reverant silence
    4 invigorate
    4 skyshroud cutter

The deck has been solid and consistent for me. I saw that a lot of the builds here relied too much on Quirion Ranger and Lotus Petal. Lotus Petal while being nice and okay doesn't do anything drawn later.

The version I am running is a tad less explosive since I don't run Might of Old Krosa, but it is more consistent. I have a lot of mana accel and rancor main. I never really bothered dropping in tarmogoyf since it is just a big vanilla creature. The main conditions have always been kavu, false cure, or berserking a creature with rancors and invigorates.

Nov 2006
    Shelton, CT

yah predator is pretty much standard here. I like the beserks in your list, but i guess if they werent so expensive more people would be playing them. Also do you realy need elves of deep shadow. i would think that lotus petal would be better because it works the turn it comes out speeding you up. Also what do you have for a board.
    Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by technogeek5000 View Post
    yah predator is pretty much standard here. I like the beserks in your list, but i guess if they werent so expensive more people would be playing them. Also do you realy need elves of deep shadow. i would think that lotus petal would be better because it works the turn it comes out speeding you up. Also what do you have for a board.
    I really don't board that often when I am playing, but I have boarded in epochrasites a few times and they seemed to work well. Also naturalize, blackmail, and thoughtseize have worked for me as well.

But you are right that more people would be playing the deck if they could get a hold of berserks. I paid about $100 for a beta and alpha one (I was very lucky), and even unlimited ones go for $50-60!!

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Seems like a fine 9-land stompy variant with a black splash for disruption. Traditional Stompy played creatures that averaged 2 power for each 1CMC, so predator is about on curve there as it can easily be a 4/4+ with Invigorate/Cutter. (I personally don't like silence MD, esp with the rancors as it only works if you have predator and is a dead card if you dont have predator.) Goyf is absolutly necissary, as you are playing a more consistant, higher curve than traditional stompy builds, and even they have grudgingly admitted sir-stomps-alot into their lists as he is just so friggin huge, like a non-trampling predator wth an extra toughness, only he coems that way, no life-pitch spells required. With Birds and (possibly) lotus bloom, have you considered Doran in this deck at the gihh end of the curve? He makes your birds and goyfs better (in addition to being a 5/5 for three) and you could run vine dryad as a 3/3 forestwalker, (conditionally) which you could hardcast with the higher mana count. Teeg could also come in from the boards vs storm combo if you splash white. I must re-iterate, I really like the black splash here, as it seems to make the combo-match-up winnable. (perhaps thoughtseize over duress to help beat goblins and breakfast)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    Seems like a fine 9-land stompy variant with a black splash for disruption. Traditional Stompy played creatures that averaged 2 power for each 1CMC, so predator is about on curve there as it can easily be a 4/4+ with Invigorate/Cutter. (I personally don't like silence MD, esp with the rancors as it only works if you have predator and is a dead card if you dont have predator.) Goyf is absolutly necissary, as you are playing a more consistant, higher curve than traditional stompy builds, and even they have grudgingly admitted sir-stomps-alot into their lists as he is just so friggin huge, like a non-trampling predator wth an extra toughness, only he coems that way, no life-pitch spells required. With Birds and (possibly) lotus bloom, have you considered Doran in this deck at the gihh end of the curve? He makes your birds and goyfs better (in addition to being a 5/5 for three) and you could run vine dryad as a 3/3 forestwalker, (conditionally) which you could hardcast with the higher mana count. Teeg could also come in from the boards vs storm combo if you splash white. I must re-iterate, I really like the black splash here, as it seems to make the combo-match-up winnable. (perhaps thoughtseize over duress to help beat goblins and breakfast)

i wouldnt nab seize over duress; however, i might throw in seize over therapy.
    vine dryad is definitely interesting, but it is a 1/3 forestwalker... kinda underpowered. kavu is right now the most powerful creature in the deck along with dark confidant. i am considering tarmos and i might toss a couple in.

I quit playing this deck when thoughseize came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane818 View Post
    I quit playing this deck when thoughseize came out.
    Why would you do that? Thoughtseize is no better than duress against this deck.

Are you kidding? I have had Kavu TS in way to many game.
    Discard went from okay to bad.

Also with the rise of Tarmo. The use of creature removal has gone threw the roof. I see swords to plow in a lot more games than it used to be.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Re: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

I just spent two months playtesting and refining this deck to absurd levels, making it more robust and consistent. I know it's done because I can finally notice the magic aura that emanates from perfectly built decks.

I also updated it to the new meta and the addition of some new cards that got printed in the meanwhile. I have goldfishing statistics from about 500 games, matchups info, sideboarding strategies and much more. I would love to finally get it promoted to the established deck forum this time.

I'll be busy updating the first post right now. Including pretty pictures, a section of reasons to play the deck, semi-budget and budget builds, and FAQ. Also detailed explanations for the slots and cards that didn't make it.

I was waiting for the next mtgTheSource Tournament to start before posting the deck but it's taking forever, so I'm going to post the list just in case any Timmy, Stompy, Berserk or Wild Mongrel lover decides to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    I would love to finally get it promoted to the established deck forum this time.
    About this, i'll quote what Bardo said in another topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    @ All - Trust me when I say the staff is not constantly scouring the site for decks to promote (other than fairly-regular DTB updates). If you think a certain deck deserves to get promoted, just PM me or one of the other site staff and we'll look into it.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

@Samsunait: I did that the last time. The problem is that many people view this as a casual deck. I hope I have more luck this time. :/

Edit: It's taking a bit because I'm taking breaks. I'll probably finish updating the first post tomorrow. Just the last part remaining.
    Last edited by DrJones; 08-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.

The Sources Headache, your gunna need more than a tylenol.
    May 2009

i read through most of the 07 posts and much of the decks main problems still seem relevant at the same time the answers to those problems can still be explained away just as relevantly.

over i like the concept of the deck and its multiple stradegies to reach victory out of using those 3 main cards.

I was playing against this on MWS one night.

I Thoughtseized this guy, saw the Kavu Predator and the Skyshroud Cutter, and was like "Hmm, so that's his plan.". Made him discard Predator and I was feeling pretty confident. A turn later, he plays a False Cure and Skyshroud Cutter together, and I lose (I was at less than 10 life at that point).

I was like, "wtf was that?".

The Sources Headache, your gunna need more than a tylenol.
    May 2009

what did he do to widdle down your other 10 life?

edit: i mean 8 life i forgot you hurt yourself with that thoughtseize and maybe some fetchs in there?

I forget.

I just know it completely caught me off-guard when he pulled that combo off after I thought I had removed his combo piece by discarding the Kavu Predator.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I remember having played against some fellow sourcers on MWS, but there have been too many games to remember specifics. One thing is for sure, this deck has terrific topdecks. Just last day I got an enchantress deck play three 4/4 angels tokens from a Sigil of the Empty Throne with me at 12 life and only a Mongrel and Confidant in play. I thought I was going to lose, but then I drew berserk + Invigorate and dealt 44 trampling damage with mongrel on that very turn.

About the 8 point swing, it could probably be an Invigorate. Cutter + Invigorate is 8 damage from a False Cure. If I had Dark Confidant in play, I might have drawn the two that same turn.

If you have specific questions or concerns about the deck, I'll try to answer them as best as I can. If you want to know more against certain matchups, I've played against all the decks on the DTB section and many more from the established decks forum. Some metas might require tweaks to the main deck.

Edit: Just found that one of the statistics was wrong due to a typo. Now it's fixed and gives an average turn kill of 3.045 when going second, which is consistent with the raw data I had. I knew I had made an error somewhere, so sorry.
    Last edited by DrJones; 08-21-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Thread Information