Page 48 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: [ATW] Landstill

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Re: [ATW] Landstill

Quote Originally Posted by blac198990 View Post
    Not sure if your just kidding around or you just have not read landstill in a long time, stifle has been main board since nick played BHWC to top 8.

I've been playing with a single monestary for a while mainly because it's gonna be a breeding pool when I get one. and white is splashed for him, stp.
    No, I'm not kidding. I haven't found room for it in my list lately and I haven't seen it in many of the lists poster here lately. I agree white is splashed for StP but if that's all you're splashing it for you might as well just stick with straight Ubg for consistency. Smother/Edict isn't bad removal.

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    No, I'm not kidding. I haven't found room for it in my list lately and I haven't seen it in many of the lists poster here lately. I agree white is splashed for StP but if that's all you're splashing it for you might as well just stick with straight Ubg for consistency. Smother/Edict isn't bad removal.

I agree about splashing white for only Swords to Plowshares seemed like a waste to me. If you need additional removal then I would suggest Smother, Diabolic Edict, or Ghastly Demise. These are all good alternatives. I know they are not as good as Swords but by adding consistency to the deck will improve it.
    ~Shriek~

It seems that the 4c landstill is performing the best but i still want to stay true to my u/w enlightened landstill. here's my deck list, ANY suggestions would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Burr View Post
    Creatures
    1 Eternal Dragon

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Counterspell
    1 Decree of Justice
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Fact or Fiction
    4 Force of Will
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    3 Stifle
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Wrath of God

Enchantments
    1 Humility
    3 Standstill

Artifacts
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Vedalken Shackles

Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Faerie Conclave
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Plains
    4 Tundra
    3 Wasteland

Planeswalkers
    1 Ajani Goldmane

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

White isn't splashed just for STP. It also gives you access to Monestary, who ends the game in 5 turns or less, and most importantly, Meddling Mage, who in the right hands will get you out of about a thousand situations you can't get out of otherwise. Mage improves Combo and Prison matches to a degree UBG alone can't give you. For me, it's still worth it.

Oh, and Stifle maindeck is still good. Some matches it's just Force Fodder, but it stops Wasteland, is fantastic against combo, is great against problematic things like Eternal Witness, on the play buys you a guaranteed turn to drop a safe Standstill, and is just generally pretty decent against a lot of things. If anything, Snare's weakening, as the format seems to be shifting towards a lot of 3 CMC cards.

@Burr: Four Standstills >> Three Standstills. Especially when your manabase is fantastic at taking advantage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Oh, and Stifle maindeck is still good. Some matches it's just Force Fodder, but it stops Wasteland, is fantastic against combo, is great against problematic things like Eternal Witness, on the play buys you a guaranteed turn to drop a safe Standstill, and is just generally pretty decent against a lot of things.
    I don't understand your sentence "on the play buys you a guaranteed turn to drop a safe Standstill". How does Stifle guarantee you a Standstill? I Think I miss the point here

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

It seems that the 4c landstill is performing the best but i still want to stay true to my u/w enlightened landstill. here's my deck list, ANY suggestions would be great!
    Looks a lot like something I built some time ago under the name of Moatality and that was quite successfull in Germany.

Some ideas concerning your build:
    • You need more Moat (permanent WoG against most decks, hardlock with Humility)
    • The one random PotF is crappy. Keep it for the Sideboard (you need it early but a random 1off without means to tutor it up will never turn up early)
    • I don't like Ajani at all as the primary effect is pretty weak, the casting cost high and the card only good in conjunction with DoJ (or Factory but then its even slower)
    • I think you have too many non-islands to support Shackles to the fullest extent

Here's my old build
    Code:
    ---Mainboard--- (60)

--Lands-- (24)

1x Faerie Conclave
    4x Mishra's Factory
    3x Wasteland

4x Flooded Strand
    2x Polluted Delta

4x Tundra
    3x Island
    2x Plains
    1x Seat of the Synode

--Creatures-- (1)

1x Eternal Dragon

--Permission-- (10)

4x Force of Will
    4x Counterspell
    2x Mana Leak

--Card draw-- (9)

4x Brainstorm
    3x Standstill
    2x Fact or Fiction

--Removal-- (8)

2x Wrath of God
    4x Swords to Plowshaeres
    2x Condemn

--Tutor Stuff-- (8)

3x Enlightened Tutor

1x Humility
    2x Moat
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    I'd apply these changes:

-1 Wasteland
    -1 Island
    +1 Windswepth Heath
    +1 Academy Ruins

-2 Condemn
    +1 Oblivion Ring
    +1 Engineered Explosives

-2 Mana Leak
    +2 Engineered Explosives

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by holkenborg View Post
    I don't understand your sentence "on the play buys you a guaranteed turn to drop a safe Standstill". How does Stifle guarantee you a Standstill? I Think I miss the point here
    Stifle their turn 1 fetchland, turn 2 drop Standstill while safe from Daze.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my sideboard. Here it is:

Sideboard:
    4 Blue Elemental Blast
    4 Hydroblast
    Wishboard:
    1 Teferi's Response
    1 Dissipate
    1 Tsabo's Decree
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Extirpate
    1 Krosan Grip

My matchups against red decks are generally bad and that's why I'm running 8blasts. My only other really bad matchups are breakfast and ichorid combo. I'm currently trying to find space for 4 leyline of the void, which I'm seeing in landstill builds a lot. The cards that I'm not that into are my 1 teferi's response and 1 dissipate. This is what I'm thinking of:

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Hydroblast
    Wishboard:
    1 Tsabo's Decree
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Extirpate
    1 Krosan Grip

What do you think?

Have you tried extirpate instead of leylines??? against ichorid, you take out the ichorids(if you maindeck things like explosives and pernicious deeds) or take out bridge and only have to deal with ichorid which a couple swords and a couple blockers, and hes out of black creatures to sack. Against breakfast, you can take out the combo, without risk of counterspell. they won't see it coming, and if you time it right, they will have their tarmogoyfs in the graveyard to sac, which makes the game really easy. Dropping leylines will make the breakfast player just go aggro going tarmogoyf with counter backup which is still easily beated but is still a kill mech for them.

The one thing I have found about red decks is that if you can get a couple of blockers early you win, you save your counter for the burn, and the removal for the problematic creatures such as grunt, goyf, bob,and such, and get blockers for the smaller ones of ape, lion,hound. And dont be afraid to drop a deed early to blow even if it is for 1 creature, low life is a bad situation for you. They have way more burn than you do counter.

Yes I tried extirpate. Works slightly against ichorid, but it's pretty lame against breakfast when they therapy it out of your hand anyway. I realized that either void enchantment just shuts them down. It extipates them of every card in their deck basically.

I just thought of this:

Sideboard
    4 Blue Elemental Blast
    4 Leyline of the Void
    Wishboard:
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Dissipate
    1 Tsabo's Decree
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Extirpate
    1 Krosan Grip

Now that's really solid.

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by holkenborg View Post
    I should have said -can- buy you a turn, specifically if the opponent plays a fetchland, whether they crack it or not. In this case, you won't be staring down any sort of permanent too scary to drop Standstill on top of, such as an Aether Vial, a Ritualed Specter, or anything of that nature.

Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Check this card out, looks like a great addition to landstill to me o.O

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/dl19

Ehh its already been brought up, the card has been shown for a while on mtgsalvation.com. Some people like it, some people don't, personally I think that it is just not powerful enough, the main manlands ever run in landstill have had what I call a 2 part effect:
    mishra's factory-----> 2/2 that can pump
    nantuko monestary-----> 4/4 first strike
    treetop village------->3/3 trample
    farie conclave--------> 2/1 flying
    metavault------->2/2 changling(which I dont count as something helpful, because it relys on another card to be good)
    the top 4 have something helpful to themselves, metavualt needs something else to make it better. If it was better than any of the top 3 then I would think about it, but the normal manlands are still better. the card will do awsome in standard, but not in legacy.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

IDK about you guys, but whenever I play 2.5C Landstill (meaning either UW splashing B for Extirpate/Plague, or UB splashing G for Deed and Grip) I found myself wishing to draw Factory more often.
    I haven't tested it yet, but I think Mutavault will make a nice Factory #5 in those decks. Sure it doesn't pump itself, but I'm not playing a CIPT land just for +1/+1 or evasion.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

It makes mono blue and UW landstill a little more viable. UGB has treetop village if they want another man land. 4c has nantuko monestary.

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

I think Mutavault is certainly worth testing. Two Factories and a Mutavault in play is every bit as good as three Factories on the attack (You swing with the Vault, and can pump it with the Factories if need be), though not as good on the defense.

I'll be testing a lot in my current Garruk build to figure out whether the best manland is still Monestary, Treetop for the extra green, or Mutavault.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

I think it's simple, really. If your build has a focus on powerful permanents (such as Bardo's build with Deeds, Shackles, Explosives, etc.) and less reactive cards, Monastery is better. If your build has a focus on reactive cards (Counterspells, Stifles, etc.), then Mutavault is better. That one mana you save from activation is a huge thing even though the Monastery beats for twice Mutavault, and you get to save 2 colored mana in exhange for a colorless.

As for Treetop Village, I never really liked CIPT lands (except now with Mosswort Bridge... ). Besides, I don't think it would be the Trops that they'd be Extirpating first if they had a choice.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Is engineered plague still a viable sideboard option? I tested it for a while and never brought it in except in one goblin match, one breakfast match, and one TES match. Competitive goblin builds are prepared for plague with krosan grip. In the other two matchups, they were pretty irrelevant: Just another deed against TES if they do chose the warrens path, and just crappy removal against breakfast that gets countered or bounced, with a clock slower then when they go off. Theres already board options that go in on those matchups anyway. What's the point of e plague now that goblins are barely even played?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Is engineered plague still a viable sideboard option?
    No sideboard should be viewed as sacrosanct and always "correct." They should be built with an eye of replacing match-up dependent "weak" maindeck cards with cards that have more value and relevance (unless you're running a transformational sideboard and plan to interact with your opponent in a much different direction than the maindeck).

So, if no one is playing Goblins or any other deck that wins by exploiting tribal synergies in your area, then drop the Plagues. I've always seen their utility vs. TES and Ichorid as sort of fringe, and it isn't the main reason we run Plague in the first place.

As far as Krosan Grip goes: meh. Plague's job isn't to decimate Goblins (though it's always nice when it does.) It's there to stall your opponent and gain time and breathing room. Plague does that fantastically, at a reasonable cost.

My current U/b/g sideboard:

4 Engineered Plague
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Hydroblast
    1 Mindslaver

Dunno about the Mindslaver--it's mainly there for the mirror and for recursion with Academy Ruins. Otherwise, my board is built to fight tribal decks (Goblins, Slivers, etc.), decks that rely on their graveyard, and decks that run ultra-low casting costs (Thresh, burn, Fish, etc.), with some HBlasts thrown in for good measure and which get a lot of use.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

So Landstill has peaked my interest lately and I have a couple of questions.

1. What are the min/max number of lands you should run?

2. What is the skeleton of a landstill deck(i.e the cards you must run, like bs/standstill/force).

3. Basics, yay or nay?
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Thread Information