Thread: [ATW] Landstill

Threaded View

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Re: [ATW] Landstill

I just won the monthly Legacy event in Speyer (37 people) with my new UWb Landstill build and wanted to re-enforce my point about Tolaria West in UWb Landstill as it was amazing all day long.

I played against:

TES 2:0
    MUC/b 2:1
    Tempo *****/r 2:0
    Faerie Stompy 2:1
    UBw Aggro Control 2:0
    NQG/w ID for secure first place for me and top4 for him

For reference, my list:

What really anoyed me all day long was Slaughter Pact for not being able to handle black creatures (Tombstalker, Dark Confidant, Shadowmage Infiltrator etc.). In theory he's very usefull against Magus of the Moon but I don't know if it wouldn't be better to replace it with something else like Diabolic Edict or Condemn. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I'll edit in a more detailed report later, but here some more points about Tolaria West:
    • It fetches you a Mishra's Factory for beatdown or defense (not to be underestimated and done numerous times today)
    • It fetches Academy Ruins for insane recursion with Engineered Explosives
    • It fetches Wasteland against combo or under Crucible
    • It fetches Engineered Explosives in any other situation
    • It is a freaking blue mana source

So the result really seconded my first impression that the land just is versatility deluxe at a mediocre price (cip tapped is not that bad as one may think as you nearly always have other lands and so can play it when you have enough mana available or when you don't have anything to do).
    For me, it's going to stay!

Edit: A short report
    After not having to go to one of those really sucky family thingies because of being sick and stuff I had no parents at home (tech!) and loads of free time over the weekend and so figured that I could actually play in the local event in 'Speyer' aka Haßloch something which I normally only seldomly do because I don't like the prizes and the appeal of small tournaments.
    After something that seemed like an infintedly long drive we (Marius Laber, Stefan Spiritofthewretch Czolk, Manuel Heiler, Florin [random name I can't get myself to remember], Thomas Dörner, Harrald Herrlich and me) finally reached the location: a restaurant with an infintedly large back room where a total of 33 nerds gathered to spend their rest of the day in which allowed 6 rounds of swiss and prizes upon standings.

My weapon of choice: UWb Landstill chosen over Ichorid because its hated too much and over NQG/w because I wanted to prove you something .

Round 1 vs Stefan Czolk [spiritofthewretch] with TES

Great, first round and directly paired against a fellow guy from Karlsruhe.
    I win the dice roll and don't do anything relevant for the first few turns appart from keeping Stefan low on mana by Explosiving 2 Chrome Moxen and by Wasting (fetched by Tolaria West) his only land. He recovers but I am able to defeat his first volley of assaults. I Cunnig Wish for Extirpate and remove his Infernal Tutors. After a while I get Mishra's Factory beatdown and counter another of his attempts at combo. After that I wish for another Extirpate and remove his Bruning Wishes. I cylce a decree shortly after to finish him off.

1:0

-3 Wrath of God
    -2 Humility
    -1 Swords to Plowshares
    -2 Decree of Justice
    -3 Cunning Wish
    +3 Extirpate
    +4 Engineered Plague
    +4 Meddling Mage

I keep a mediocre hand and he leads with a Xantid Swarm from the sideboard but I have the Swords and a turn 2 Meddling Mage chanting Burning Wish. I get some beats going but then he casts a Tendrils for 10 buying him numerous turns. He then procedes to Pyroblast my Mage. I Extirpate the Pyroblast so that nothing can stop my infinted counters before I'm able to swing for the win.

2:0

1-0-0 (2:0)

Round 2 vs Marius Laber with MUC/b

My plan to avoid the people from Karlsruhe completely fizzled as soon as round 2... nice! and it's a bad matchup too!!
    He wins the roll and we don't do a thing but trade counters and removal until he gets a Psychatog that gains him a lot of life thus recovering him from my Factory beatdown. I then somehow manage to have enough counters for his shit (Shackles, Back to Basics etc) until he's dead.

-3 Wrath of God
    -1 Cunning Wish
    -1 Humility
    -1 Decree of Justice
    +4 Meddling Mage
    +2 Extirpate

After this first game my boarding was a little un-coordinated and all over the place but I just had no clue how his list could look like after seeing utility creatures (Shadowmage Infiltrator, Psychatog) in a traditional MUC shell.
    My first play was a second turn Meddling Mage chanting Back to Basics which was awesome, until he Smothered him and droped one (countered) followed by a second one. A Tombstalker finishes me off quickly afterwards.

1:1

-1 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Humility

I get a Mage chanting Back to Basics and Extirpate a lot of his stuff (Explosives, Shackles). We trade Back to Basics and Explosives until I get a Crucible of Worlds and a Humility. I then transmute Tolaria West for a Mishra's Factory that gets the job done just on time... in the last extra turn.

2:1

2-0-0 (4:1)

Round 3 vs Daniel Scherer [Adan] with Ugr Tempo/Canadian *****

I had played this matchup from the other side (me playing NQG) on MWS some time ago and it didn't seem all like the cakewalk normal NQG is but still in your favour so that this test against a competent NQG player would be really interesting.
    In the first game I bait some counters with removal, resolve a WoG that buys some time to find counterbackup for my Humiility that then wins the game, just that simple.

-3 Cunning Wish
    +3 Extirpate

He takes a mulligan but gets some decent beats in a Nimble Mongoose (a counterwar over Tarmogoyf was won by me earlier) and burns me down to 9 lives when he makes the mistake to drop a second one that then gets WoG away as my Explosives was previously needled. I then Extirpate his Mongeese and procede to beat him up with 3 Factories. At that point I still have a Crucible of Worlds to bait his Krosan Grip to then resolve my Humility but I just didn't need it as I was in fullest control of the game his only out being to burn me for another 9 damage... this was in grave contrast to the MWS testing as I didn't have a single weak spot in any of the 2 games and just fisted him (as Landstill should do) - strange.

2:0

3-0-0 (6:1)

Round 4 vs Tobias Ball with Faerie Stomy

The first guy I face that I don't know personally!! Yey and cheers for that.
    He's on the play and leads with a Sword of Fire and Ice which gets equiped onto a Cloud of Faeries on turn 2. He then procedes to beat me for 5 a turn until I find a white mana source for my Swords to Plowshares. I'm at 10 life at that point. I then play a Humility and it's only a matter of time until I get Engineered Explosives and Return to Dust to remove his equipment for my DoJ tokken and Factories to dominate the board.

I'm fascinated that he boards in 8-12 cards while I've got... nothing.

I mulligan once and he has another 1st turn SoFI. I drop a second turn Standstill and he responds with... PESTERMITE! which gets equiped and deals me a total of 12 damage until he plays an Umezawa's Jitte (wtf?) so that I don't have to crack my own Standstill to kill it. Nevertheless he has way too much gas and I don't get any solid removal. Also his Winter Orbs and Back to Basics are a real pain as they make countering stuff/ tapping out so much harder decisions.

He doesn't have any broken start and I completely dominate him from start to end drawing a shitton of cards via Standstill and Brainstorm and removing all his stuff with WoG, Swords and Explosives - doing what you're meant to do, second take, action.

4-0-0 (8-2)

Round 5 vs Alexander Verlohner with UBw Aggro Control

He doesn't do much aside from countering randomly my stuff but I am still able to get into the lategame and pick out his random threats (Tombstalker, Shadowmage Infiltrator) and get Crucible+Wasteland (fetched by Academy Ruins) going.

-3 Cunning Wish
    +3 Extirpate

There's nothing much to say about this game except 2 notable situations the first being him Duressing me for a random card and then Extirpating the 2 Swords to Plowshares that he saw away from me. Following this he played a Shadowmage Inflitrator which I try to remove but he has a counter for my Engineered Explosives and my WoG in subsequent turns. The invitational card drew him 2 extra cards until I finally get rid of him. I then go onto the aggro mode, Extirpate his Forces and resolve a Humility ftw.

5-0-0 (10-2)

Round 6 vs Florin with NQG/w

He's 4-0-1 and drawing would mean that he's top4 for sure. He realizes that his matchup sucks and so agrees which makes me first. We then play out whether I have to give him a little something for drawing or not... obviously playing Highlander - the only real format.
    I play a 5c Goodstuff control pile with some counters, removal, draw, Moat, Future Sight, Miraris Wake and a little combo with Palinchron (+ Stroke of Genious) alongside alot of tutors to respond to any sitation and to fetch the combo. He plays BWG Goodstuff Aggro Control also with a mini combo involving Yosei and ways to recur and sack him (Greater Good, Reccuring Nightmare, reanimation etc).

There's nothing much to say of the games as he crushes me with a nutty turn 5 Miraris Wake, turn 8 cycling DoJ for infinited and by Swordsing my Bringer of the Black Dawn that would have searched a solution.

0:1

Game 2 he gets his Greater Good engine going while I tapped out to play a Mindslaver. He recurs Yosei twice after drawing half his deck but then the following Slaver activation completely wreaks him.

In game 3 I go combo into his face on turn10 and there's nothing he could do about it because of counters and Moat - roar.

I'm in first and get to pick out of a pool of:
    [list]Foil German Wooded Foothills[*]Foil Pernicious Deed[*]Playset Orim's Chant[*]Underground Sea[*]Force of Will[*]Wooded Foothills[*]Polluted Delta[*]Windswepth Heat/list]

I take the Foil Foothills because I already own like 2 Orim's Chant and because they're harder to get and pimpier (doh).

The top8 was:
    1. Clemens Wolff (me) with UWb Cunning Landstill
    2. Alexander Verlohner (unregged) with UBw Aggro Control
    3. Daniel Scherer (Adan) with Tempo/Canadian NQG/r
    4. Florin Ratajczak (unregged) with NQG/w
    5. Fabian Moyschewitz (unregged) with Deadguy Ale
    6. Jens Hoffmann (unregged) with 4c Landstill
    7. Tobias Ball (unregged) with Faerie Stompy
    8. Christian Schäfer (unregged) with NQ Eternal Garden

Lists and more info (german site)

Edit: But really, the location / restaurant sucks hardcore - don't eat their 5,50€ dish! I feel so sick right now that I actually migh not be able to attend school tomorow.

Edit n°2, 1.5h later: Taking that dish was such a fatal error.
    Last edited by diffy; 01-24-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Thread Information