Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: Ban-Back Better

Feb 2014

Re: 4 Card Blind: Ban-Back Better

dte: Cabal therapy, Dark depth, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Vampire hexmage Notes: Naming path to exile!
    Not original enough...

GoblinSmashmaster: Saprazzan Cove, Force of Negation, Subtlety, Gadget Technician Notes: Goblin smash!
    6-0

4dogs: Mental Misstep, Scythe Tiger, Forest, Surgical extraction Notes: N/A
    6-0

Wrath of Pie: Scrubland, Doomed Traveler, Cabal Therapy, Path to Exile Notes: N/A
    1-4

Silkster: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Therapy, Thespian Stage, Dark Depths Notes: N/A
    3-3

FTW: Cabal Therapy, Young Wolf, Hexdrinker, Overgrown TOmb Notes: N/A
    0-6

Have to be more original...
    Which means that the penalty does work well!

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Therapy session"

dte: Cabal therapy, Dark depth, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Vampire hexmage Notes: Naming path to exile!
    HexLage :( 0-6

GoblinSmashmaster: Saprazzan Cove, Force of Negation, Subtlety, Gadget Technician Notes: Goblin smash!
    That's me!

Goblin smash! 6-0

Wrath of Pie: Scrubland, Doomed Traveler, Cabal Therapy, Path to Exile Notes: N/A
    Goblin smash! 6-0

Silkster: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Therapy, Thespian Stage, Dark Depths Notes: N/A
    Thespian's Lage :( 0-6

FTW: Cabal Therapy, Young Wolf, Hexdrinker, Overgrown TOmb Notes: N/A
    Progenitus :( 0-6

12 points!

WD. You make on turn 2, but can't attack until T3 anyway, so I can block on the draw.
    WL Fixed

WW. My first plan for this round was Force of Negation + Subtlety, until I noticed that most of the land hate was gone but Dark Depths wasn't.

WW - I thought Mental Misstep was not legacy legal.

WL, hinging on whether you can keep Path.

I actually thought that people would play Thoughtseize over Therapy this week. Whoops.

FTW: Cabal Therapy, Young Wolf, Hexdrinker, Overgrown TOmb Notes: N/A[/QUOTE]
    WW

I looked through the thread and couldn't find the rule change. It's also not updated in the original post, which still says -1 point per card. Commence the uh oh.
    5 matching cards means -10. (I just panicked when I saw my own deck and counted 4 matches before realizing.)

8W, 0D, 2L - 10 = 14.
    Last edited by silkster; 03-05-2024 at 12:24 AM.
    4CB Ceiling Season Entry Form and the google sheet for scores.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    WD. You make on turn 2, but can't attack until T3 anyway, so I can block on the draw.
    Can you really block?
    On my T2 OTP I make lage, while you only have a land in play. Then on your T2, you play a second land. Then I kill you.
    I think it is WL.
    Did I miss something?

Sep 2011

dte T1 Urborg. Therapy naming Therapy.
    silk T1 Depths

dte T2 Depths. Hexmage. Marit Lage
    silk T2 Stage

dte T3 attack for 20
    Silk has Stage + Depths and 2 mana (dte's Urborg) but can't tap Stage twice. You need Thespian's Stage + 2 mana to make Marit Lage blocker.

WL 3-3

Silkster: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Therapy, Thespian's Stage, Dark Depths Notes: N/A
    I actually thought that people would play Thoughtseize over Therapy this week. Whoops.
    Therapy is so much better overall though: no life loss, can hit multiples, flashback mode. I like how Therapy flashback trumps the discard mirror vs Thoughtseize on the draw. They can't take the discard out of your hand to protect their threat, since you can play T1 creature + flashback, so you are guaranteed to discard at least 1 thing. I assume that's how Wrath ended up on the twin deck of mine, same concept, different color. Path was smart vs Depths but unfortunate vs 2 hexproof players!

I looked through the thread and couldn't find the rule change. It's also not updated in the original post, which still says -1 point per card. Commence the uh oh.
    The original post also says Simian Spirit Guide and Daze are legal, and that Tropical Island is double banned because it's twice as good as Volcanic Island (don't tell UR Delver players).

The rule change happened in Round 2: post from 12-20-2023 01:52 PM on Page 4.
    It's applied to every round other than Round 1.

4dogs did warn us that they were not going to the effort to update the first post as rigorously as Asthereal used to. It's a lot of work. Only 4 dogs not 8.
    Last edited by FTW; 03-05-2024 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Can you really block?
    On my T2 OTP I make lage, while you only have a land in play. Then on your T2, you play a second land. Then I kill you.
    I think it is WL.
    Did I miss something?
    Nope. Just a simple mistake. Haven't though about these in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Therapy is so much better overall though: no life loss, can hit multiples, flashback mode. I like how Therapy flashback trumps the discard mirror vs Thoughtseize on the draw. They can't take the discard out of your hand to protect their threat, since you can play T1 creature + flashback, so you are guaranteed to discard at least 1 thing. I assume that's how Wrath ended up on the twin deck of mine, same concept, different color. Path was smart vs Depths but unfortunate vs 2 hexproof players!
    I was already on Depths and decided to play discard later. I wasn't thinking of flashing it back. Hitting multiples feels very unlikely to happen and even less likely to be relevant. The life loss is something but small. I agree that Therapy is better, but I thought people would take the 99%-likely-to-be-irrelevant drawbacks to be less penalized by the round rule. I certainly would have, but my level 2 lost to your (plural) level 0.

Sep 2011

I was already on Depths and decided to play discard later. I wasn't thinking of flashing it back. Hitting multiples feels very unlikely to happen and even less likely to be relevant. The life loss is something but small. I agree that Therapy is better, but I thought people would take the 99%-likely-to-be-irrelevant drawbacks to be less penalized by the round rule. I certainly would have, but my level 2 lost to your (plural) level 0.
    Didn't mean to criticize your choice. They're mostly the same in your deck. Those are reasons why others would choose Therapy. The upsides are irreplaceable in other decks (flashback, and life loss matters with slow threats). Maybe a reason to stick to Level 1.

Re doubles: It happens. I considered a deck with 2 SSG before you reminded us it was banned but not on the list.

All good. Doubles definitely happen, but it's a really small chance that forcing them to discard one isn't enough. I'm guessing that a deck playing two copies of SSG equally fails to function if it loses one or both of them.

Definitely reason to stick to level 1. I played myself. :S

THE SCORES ARE IN!
    Silkster: 22 points
    FTW: 22
    DTE: 19
    GoblinSmashmaster: 12
    Wrath of Pie: 8
    4Dogs:6

PENALTIES:
    DTE: 10
    Silkster: 10
    FTW: 6
    Wrath of Pie: 6
    4 Dogs: 6 points for banned cards!
    GoblinSmashMaster: 0 :D

Total for the round:
    FTW: 16
    Silkster: 14
    GoblinSmashmaster: 12
    DTE: 9
    Wrath of Pie: 2
    4Dogs: goose egg.

The new dead line ...
    is

ROUND 4 DEADLINE: 18 March, 6am US Central Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The new dead line ...
    is

ROUND 4 DEADLINE: 18 March, 6am US Central Time

Psst

Players

That dead line?

*looks left and right, checking the mods are asleep*

That's tomorrow

I'm guessing we still use the same submissions link from the first post. It probably said "round 1" last time, but I somehow didn't notice then.

I see many of you figured out the password magic and have returned!
    GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens Notes: Goblin smash!
    dte: Geier Reach Sanitarium, Saprazzan Skerry, Show and tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn Notes: N/A
    Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Thoughtseize, Durkwood Baloth, Stromkirk Noble Notes: N/A
    Silkster: Swamp, Inquisition of Kozilek, Volatile Fault, Bitterblossom Notes: Treasure, whee!
    Fourdogs: reclaim, forest, llanowar mentor, Vengeful Pharaoh Notes: N/A

Fourdogs: reclaim, forest, llanowar mentor, Vengeful Pharaoh Notes: N/A

GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens Notes: Goblin smash!
    LW... Lose the race on the draw, but on the play I can block a turn earlier and if you attack I'll get stuck at 4 life. So you don't attack, but then I get to attack myself and win at 1 life.

dte: Geier Reach Sanitarium, Saprazzan Skerry, Show and tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn Notes: N/A
    LL fuck anilhator

Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Thoughtseize, Durkwood Baloth, Stromkirk Noble Notes: N/A
    DD You cannot win through the Pharaoh's Curse, but also you are not obligated to attack into it.

Silkster: Swamp, Inquisition of Kozilek, Volatile Fault, Bitterblossom Notes: Treasure, whee!
    WW I like my army of Mentor curses vs your bitter blossom, but I haven't done the math. There might be a line where you wait until 3 attacking faeries and race

Feb 2014

6-0, me faster.

Spaghetti monster. For once no penalties!

6-0
    I rebuild faster than your clock

0-6. LD is a problem, moreso if combined with discard T1.

Fourdogs: reclaim, forest, llanowar mentor, Vengeful Pharaoh Notes: N/
    6-0. Not sure your deck works so well if your opponent doesn't attack you?

18, no penalties!

Thread Information