Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WOE] Born to be Wilds of Eldraine

May 2015
    PDX

Re: [WOE] Born to be Wilds of Eldraine

UR playable version of Creeping Tar Pit. ETB tapped, taps for U/R. UR to animate to 2/1 flying (if your turn first strike), when it attacks scry 1. Restless Spire.

Edit: does not fly.
    Last edited by Fox; 08-19-2023 at 10:24 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It takes 7 mana to have it enter and attack the next turn. 3 stun is just too much unless you have some way of eating those counters. Soul Diviner? Dress Down? Chisei Heart of Oceans?
    Dress Down works (enters with 0 counters), but then next turn it attacks for 9 too little.

Hex Parasite should eat the counters?

It's not a matter of "can we enable this?" but "is it worth enabling?". Payoff is too low.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

New Court cycle

The white one seems like it's own combo.
    The black one I like with the existing cycle... Which I always thought was good enough, but...

May 2015
    PDX

Candy Trail: Saga target. ETB scry 2. pay tap and sac to draw 1 and gain 3. Believe it or not, this is the best lifegain spell pure UR has ever had.

Sep 2011

The white court looks abusable in UWx control, Parfait, and DeadGuy.

For control, bringing back Teferi/Narset/Kaya/Snapcaster/Staff/Bowmasters/Standstill/Saga/Wasteland seems much more relevant than making a 1/1 token (Court of Grace). I can't believe it doesn't say "nonland". It's Sevinne's Reclamation on a stick, with a Monarch trigger. The failcase of returning to hand is still strong.

The red one might find a home in Moon Stompy. It has a lot of competition at 4-5 mana, but Monarch + token engine is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    It's cute with Solitary Confinement.

Mar 2007

For control, bringing back Teferi/Narset/Kaya/Snapcaster/Staff/Bowmasters/Standstill/Saga/Wasteland seems much more relevant than making a 1/1 token (Court of Grace). I can't believe it doesn't say "nonland". It's Sevinne's Reclamation on a stick, with a Monarch trigger. The failcase of returning to hand is still strong.

The red one might find a home in Moon Stompy. It has a lot of competition at 4-5 mana, but Monarch + token engine is pretty good.
    The cool part about bringing Saga back in your upkeep is that you immediately get back to two counters on the same turn.

Sep 2011

The Saga trick looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It's cute with Solitary Confinement.
    Court's ability targets, so it can't directly loop a Solitary Confinement (hasn't been sacrificed yet at beginning of upkeep).

If you somehow lose the Monarch under Confinement, you could return something else to hand and then discard it to Confinement over and over. If you're the Monarch, that draw fuels Confinement, then Court can return discarded permanents to the battlefield.

The Saga trick looks good.

Court's ability targets, so it can't directly loop a Solitary Confinement (hasn't been sacrificed yet at beginning of upkeep).

If you somehow lose the Monarch under Confinement, you could return something else to hand and then discard it to Confinement over and over. If you're the Monarch, that draw fuels Confinement, then Court can return discarded permanents to the battlefield.
    Well, it works if you have 2 confinements so you can cycle them :)

At least it makes the window in which the opponent can steal your monarch quite small as you'll get the confinement back next upkeep.

When in doubt you can always recur a Spore Frog.

Mar 2007

Mono B Helm with 4x Beseech the Mirror took down Legacy Masters last weekend

That decklist looks really good and has quite a few ways to Bargain (Saga, Saga tokens, Vault, Bowmaster tokens, cheap artifacts, excess Leylines). IGG as Beseech target is especially brutal with a Voidwalker or Leyline in play. And given how it works, you can use IGG to get your Beseech and sac material back afterwards to find your win-con. That sounds pretty strong.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I was running the list last night, being able to Beseech for the sideboard Damnation to clear a Collector Ouphe plus miscellaneous threats against Maverick and unlock the win was a highlight of the match
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Sep 2011

The Beseech tech looks really strong. It can run 1-of Helm (reduce bad draws) and still have consistent access to the combos.

Paying 1BBB and being able to cast either Helm, Karn (for 2nd Helm or Bridge), IGG (Mind Twist + reload tutor), Sheoldred, Leyline, or Damnation - without paying any additional mana - is extremely strong. As long as you can Bargain, it's more efficient than banned Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, or Imperial Seal.

Court of Locthwain might be a nice backup 1-of for that deck, in case there's too much hate for Helm combo.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

After playing more games and more variants, not sure if it's my personal preference, but Beseech into Gaea's Will seems underwhelming. It can be crazy fast but is very fragile. Lots of bottlenecks that a single counterspell can wreak and almost always autoloses to Surgical. That deck is fun to goldfish but doesn't offer anything new to storm decks in terms of potential explosiveness or resiliency in the face of opposing spells.

The real winner is the black Karn decks. Any deck heavy in black that already had an established gameplan of A+B+whatever can benefit from a random "I win" topdeck plus access to a multitude of 1-of sideboard spells for games 2 & 3. Court of Locthwain is a good pickup, I'm just wondering how long until the shell is established before you can start including greedy uncastable 4 drops like Humility or Minsc and Boo for the spicy juke postboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information