Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

DCI Rating System change- Planeswalker Points

Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Meat Slicer at Deli

Mar 2004
    Ypsi, MI

Re: DCI Rating System change- Planeswalker Points

This change makes me want to push one of the local stores to do Legacy FNM in addition to their usual draft or Standard... Beyond that, I'm not sure how I feel about this change yet. I have a feeling it'll work out like my rating did before, where I look at it once a year or so.
    Whenever I see a kid in a wheelchair it makes me a little sad. Because I always think, "Gee, they could have used those same wheels to make a bike for a regular kid. What a waste."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Apparently I'm a level 37 Sorcerer. Interesting.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

From now on I'm gonna pilot only piles anymore, cause I actually cared about my rating. Now, not so much.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

So, I am a lvl 30 Guildmage now... WTF O.o?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Level 33 here. I like this change; I think it's a net positive. Because byes and PT invites are seasonal and not based on lifetime points, it means that bad players with long tenures won't be inundating Pro level events. I think the lifetime level is irrelevant, as the flat point system doesn't tell you whether someone is good or just prolific. I do think, however, that they need to expand events that fall under the "competitive" level to include the SCG Opens/Invitationals and other massive events with several hundred people. I mean, let's be honest, the level of competition at an Open is higher than at your average PTQ. I know these tournaments aren't Wizards sponsored, but they are competitive and run at a high REL - they ought to count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Now the next time someone gives me grief about playing magic I'll just tell them to fuck off because I'm a level 26 guildmage.

I don't quite get how it works. Is there any point in having a really high lifetime total?

Also I hope Jupiter considers doing some Legacy FNM.

Edit: Is the site going slow as hell for anyone else??

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Evidently I am level 33. I really have no way of saying what this means. I think that this move is a good one. As has been mentioned above, there is an old guard that rides the gravy train with biscuit wheels. It is not that they are not great players, it is probably more fair to give more to those that grind every week than to the pro that goes to 6 tournaments a year to maintain a hold on the free ride.

It does not affect me either way, I don't play much more that 6 events a year and I am no pro, I've just been around since the beginning. This is going to make big waves among the PT regulars. So, do I now get to look down on those with a lower level than myself? Can I make the underlings fetch me stuff and polish my footwear? Perks like that might get me to enter more events.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    I don't quite get how it works. Is there any point in having a really high lifetime total?
    Epeen? Otherwise, I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

One thing I like about this change is if it gives players more of an incentive to play out later rounds of tournaments even if they are already out of prize contention.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I just recognized the following:

Top 300 Competitive players of a season receive 3 Byes for the next season.
    Top 2.000 receive 2 byes.
    Top 15.000 receive 3 byes.

FNMs and Casual Events don't count towards this rating.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

A very obvious attempt to "gamify" ratings; players wanting to play in more events to increase meaningless total = more money for WotC.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Yeah, but playing in as many events as possible will also increase your Competitive Total which will be used to calculate Byes for the next season.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    So, I am a lvl 30 Guildmage now... WTF O.o?
    Yeah, two days ago my rating was higher than yours. Now you have almost three times as many points as I have. Anyway, I think the system is pretty cool, but it heavily favours people who really just play a lot. Further, I noticed that playing in GPs gives you a lot of points, even if your scrub out.
    Also, why do they have to give everything stupid names?

Oct 2005
    Mass

I don't love a system that only cares about total wins and not losses. This puts players who play in a fuck load of events at a significant advantage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone who goes 4-4 in four events would gain more rating than me who can only attend two events, but manage to go 7-1 both times. I mean I really don't give a fuck what the system is. It takes less stress out of cultivating your rating and it does make drawing/scooping to people more appealing and rewards people to stay in events when they scrub out.

I like saying I am ranked 15th in the State (In Legacy) more than I am a level 32 Invoker.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    Yeah, two days ago my rating was higher than yours. Now you have almost three times as many points as I have. Anyway, I think the system is pretty cool, but it heavily favours people who really just play a lot. Further, I noticed that playing in GPs gives you a lot of points, even if your scrub out.
    Also, why do they have to give everything stupid names?

...and Tobias Demmer's rating was higher than yours =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Level 34 Invoker. I think I play this game too much...
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Time to build a janky standard deck and show up at PTQs!!

Edit: Logged in and it seems pretty heavily skewed towards FNM. Recently got 11 points for going 3-0-1 at a 13-person Legacy event, vs. 33 points for 3-2-0 at a 25-person FNM. I get that the Legacy event was smaller, but those points were way more challenging to come by.

Overall though, I kinda like the change. I know some people hate the gamification of everything, but I think you can easily ignore that whole aspect if you really want to. Mostly, I just like fact that it removes the incentive to drop/draw if you're like me and just enjoy playing the game, win or lose.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

This would encourage me to play Belcher in legacy events. No dis-incentive for losses!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I've never given too much of a shit about my D.C.I. rating. I expect to do well in each tournament I play in, and unless I'm planning on playing in an extremely high-profile event, to me it's nothing more than a marking point to see how well I'm doing at any given stretch of time.

If you do well at big tournaments, people will recognize you by name; word travels fast these days with the internet. We play competitive Magic to build ourselves a Legacy, which will last far longer than any points earned from a tournament.

Thread Information