Thread: [NCD] Anthemancer

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

[NCD] Anthemancer

Anathemancer

Creature - Zombie Wizard

When Anathemancer comes into play, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of nonbasic lands that player controls.
    Unearth

2/2

Forgetting the crazy high unearth cost...this guy seems very very playable. What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Re: [NCD] Anthemancer

Price of Progress.

The card will only ever deal 3-4 dmg, except against Landstill, in which case they'll just counter it.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

One-sided PoP is friggin good, it could feed some RedDeath's return on the scene..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

IMO is really really good in standard against 5cc but outside of that i cant see it being that good in any extended and legacy decks. The only deck that would worry about it (Loam) can kill before it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    One-sided PoP is friggin good, it could feed some RedDeath's return on the scene..
    Single-handedly? I doubt it (although I still find Red Death to be sick deck). The fact is, it's not a one side PoP. It's a more expensive, less effective, sorcery speed PoP on legs (that crumble: 2/2 bleh).

Mar 2007
    RI

It will be good in Standard, maybe Extended. I could see it being played in Legacy if the rest of the shell was there for it, at the moment B/R isn't a particularly appealing arch-type over other B/x's or R/G.
    TPDMC

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

In the beginning of the game this one is 1-3 damage + 2/2 body. Keldon Maraduers are 2 damage + 1 attack with 3/3, but they cost 1 less mana. In the late game this guy can hit for 5-7, but if you're piloting some kind of BR fast aggressive deck and it's late game, then most of the times you already in deep shit . But maybe in some kind of BR midrange this guy will do his job in some metagames...

On the other side, to punish nonbasic manabases I'll better cast my Price of Progress (1 less mana, double damage) or Magus of the Moon (the same 3 mana, stronger effect).

(Bitominous Blast =>) Bloodbraid Elf => this guy - I'm sure we'll see this in Type 2. But not in Legacy...

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I'll consider using it depending on how good the art is. Four more Price of Progress in my deck seems testable.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

If it actually did Price of Progress and did 2 a shot, this guy would be great. As he stands? Not so much. 3 for a 2/2 better be ungodly in this format. He isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Well you can do it twice if you have the mana. Also it doesn't effect you, so you can play it in multicolor decks easier.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Well you can do it twice if you have the mana. Also it doesn't effect you, so you can play it in multicolor decks easier.
    The problem is that multicolor decks generally have something better to do, like cast Crucible of Worlds or Trinket Mages. None of my multicolored decks really want burn cards.

Thank goodness the unearth cost is so high, otherwise it could be a problem in multiple formats.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

In legacy, this sucks hard. A three mana 2/2 that deal 3-4 damage to the dome when he come in play? It's even worse than Ball lightning most of the times.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

The ball-lightning comparison is a good point. The only redeeming value of this card is that it can be a bomb late-game (or move of a lifesaver if you're playing red death late game). Unblockable damage with the threat of unearth is somewhat reasonable. At least he sticks around to chump or wear a jitte.

Sep 2006
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    PoP damage = 2 x Number of non-basics

This cards damage = crap

Red Death = Dead gone

He could be a worthwhile Survival target in a hypothetical metagame, actually. Outside of that, though, GTFO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Banned

Feb 2008
    SF CA USA

good sb card, but that good.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

They should've tacked on a trigger with Unearth:

Anathemancer

Creature - Zombie Wizard

When Anathemancer comes into play, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of nonbasic lands that player controls. If Anathemancer was unearthed, it deals twice that damage instead.

Unearth

2/2

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    They should've tacked on a trigger with Unearth:

Anathemancer

Creature - Zombie Wizard

When Anathemancer comes into play, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of nonbasic lands that player controls. If Anathemancer was unearthed, it deals twice that damage instead.

Unearth

2/2
    Still sucks equally.
    Keep moon-walking.

Thread Information