Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Announcement] March 7-8: Grand Prix Chicago 2009

Re: Legacy GP 2009!

Quote Originally Posted by Swing4Five View Post
    Amtrak Boston -> Chicago: $83, Nice!

.....................22hours 50 minutes, say whaaaa?
    There's a student discount you can get too, if you happen to be a student - last time I took Amtrak, it was like 20% (but required a membership card and so ended up only being like 5% for that trip). I think there's a AAA discount or something also.

From Rochester the train is 12 hours, which is only two more than driving. Driving from Boston is 16 hours.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by mercenarybdu View Post
    In General, I am not. But when it comes to broadcasting for this format and engaging against them, I am only one of a few or at times viewed as a one person crusade against the masses.

I am doing what I am doing just because there was something wrong.

When something is wrong, it's up to you the ordinary person to speak up and do something to make that difference. I did and made it relevant that what Wizards is doing is not fair and balanced.

I even went as far as getting Zac Hill's unedited opinions about the matter in the following Interview I did with him. Take a listen to what he has to say from the questions I have put on the table:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Mslyh90wg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-RRLA6Hy8Q
    I stopped listening when he said that Legacy is mostly an American scene. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

Lets take a look at October, courtesy of the DTB section on these forums:

Utrecht, The Netherlands 40 players
    Iserlohn, Germany 59 players
    Quiemada Paris 39 Players
    Asti, Italy 90 Players
    Bourgoin Jallieu, France 44 Players
    Trader-Liga Duelmen, Germany 68 Players
    La Maquina del Temps, Spain 96 Players
    Dragons League, Italy 40 Players
    GP Paris 2008 Legacy Side Event 109 players.
    Legacy League Moscow, Russia 37 players
    Hassloch, Germany 50 Players
    Ancient Memory Convention, Akihabara, Japan 53 players
    Liga Valenciana de Legacy, Spain 41 players

Versus:

5 Year Source Anniversary, USA 127 players

Wasted Wizard
    Jul 2007
    Dedham, MA

Keep in mind both that price tag and travel time are one way, but I'm entertaining the possiblity.

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

Don't ride trains much so am curious about something. Say I grab the train from Albany, would the train eventually pick up players in the Cuse/Rochester area if they are leaving on the same day? Never ridden a train so don't know if they stop at every stop or have certain trains go straight to the destination.

Feb 2006
    Boston

I was looking at some schedules, and depending on when/where they depart from, they make some stops. What happens at these stops exactly (more people getting on, some people getting off), I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Afro View Post
    Don't ride trains much so am curious about something. Say I grab the train from Albany, would the train eventually pick up players in the Cuse/Rochester area if they are leaving on the same day? Never ridden a train so don't know if they stop at every stop or have certain trains go straight to the destination.
    Yep, assuming you catch the same train. The Lake Shore Limited runs through Albany/Syracuse/Rochester, trains 49/449 to and 48/448 back. You could probably call them for help to make sure you get the right trains. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find each other (have someone get out I guess) and get space in the same car - the seating in coach isn't assigned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    I was looking at some schedules, and depending on when/where they depart from, they make some stops. What happens at these stops exactly (more people getting on, some people getting off), I'm not sure.
    Yep, any of the trains are going to have many stops, although Chicago is the end/beginning of the line for the Lake Shore Limited. I've taken the train to Chicago from Rochester twice. I seem to recall "limited" meaning that it doesn't make as many stops, but I could be wrong.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Swing4Five View Post
    Amtrak Boston -> Chicago: $83, Nice!

.....................22hours 50 minutes, say whaaaa?
    Id be so down for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

Amtrak Seattle -> Chicago: $150

46 hours.

You guys have nothing to complain about.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Tosh: how much are flights?
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Tosh: how much are flights?
    $500 from United

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    $500 from United
    Fail. I just Orbitzed it at $320ish for United or Alaska, leaving Thursday and back Sunday.
    InfoNinjas

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Why is it so expensive? It is only $293 Canadian from Toronto round trip.

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

$500 from United
    This is round trip.

EDIT: It seems going to United's site for a price was a bad idea. Expedia and Orbitz have much lower prices (Orbitz: United flight is $275).

EDIT2: This is the weekend right before finals week... man, it's going to suck either way (I'm not going to be able to procrastinate /cry).

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

The train actually takes you into the city instead of leaving you at O'Hare outside the city (not counting the possibility of winter weather seriously fucking with your flight...). Also, driving to Columbus was a vastly uncomfortable, draining, looooong process...Chicago is even farther from New England. And Atwa, you get yer European ass to Chicago & you can crash in whatever hotel room I'm using.

On the understandable disappointment of the European contingent - harness that and let WOTC know! If they get leventy billion emails & forum posts showing a demand for a European Legacy GP, there is no reason that they might not add one for their summer 'extras' such as they ran this year. But it needs to be a significant outcry and in time for them to realize their mistake & rectify it. On a related note, ha-ha!
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Holy shit! Chicago!!! I sooo hope I can go to this one. I have alot of family in the area so it could be nice and cheap too.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta View Post
    Holy shit! Chicago!!! I sooo hope I can go to this one. I have alot of family in the area so it could be nice and cheap too.
    Dibs on umbowta's family's couch.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    And Atwa, you get yer European ass to Chicago & you can crash in whatever hotel room I'm using.
    If only I didn't get divorced last month, so I have to pay the mortgage for a whole house myself and thus had the money to do so, I would. Even if it was in september instead of march, I could have saved up enough to make the trip.

However, I'm still going to look for a way to make it. Missed Philly since I thought I could make it to France. Missed that because I needed to go lay in a hospital for 2.5 weeks. Missed Columbus since I didn't want to spend a fortune on GP: Flash and even recently the Source tourey because of parents in law coming to Holland for 2 weeks.

It seems God doesn't want me to come to the US to take away all your price money. God must be American.

I'll try however to get a loan with my parents or something however, so don't count me out just yet.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

His Power Is Maximum
    Apr 2004
    Lexington, Kentucky

$500 from United
    I've been told (by people 'in the know' working with our company at a travel agency) that the cheapest ticket prices occur 14-21 days before the flight itself. I don't know how true this rule holds, but it's something to consider.
    There was a young lady named Valarie
    Who started to count every calorie
    Said her boss in disgust,
    'If you lose half your bust
    then you'll only be worth half your salary.'

Banned

Feb 2008
    SF CA USA

Quote Originally Posted by Frenger View Post
    I stopped listening when he said that Legacy is mostly an American scene. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

Lets take a look at October, courtesy of the DTB section on these forums:

Utrecht, The Netherlands 40 players
    Iserlohn, Germany 59 players
    Quiemada Paris 39 Players
    Asti, Italy 90 Players
    Bourgoin Jallieu, France 44 Players
    Trader-Liga Duelmen, Germany 68 Players
    La Maquina del Temps, Spain 96 Players
    Dragons League, Italy 40 Players
    GP Paris 2008 Legacy Side Event 109 players.
    Legacy League Moscow, Russia 37 players
    Hassloch, Germany 50 Players
    Ancient Memory Convention, Akihabara, Japan 53 players
    Liga Valenciana de Legacy, Spain 41 players

Versus:

5 Year Source Anniversary, USA 127 players
    I knew he was partially wrong on the international part (if you listened to the whole thing). But I wanted to hear what he had to say on the matter to see if how much of a gap there was between the Eternal crowd and the PTQ/FNM crowd. Think of it as someone who has watched too much FOX NEWS.

Prior to that recording, I spoiled to him some sources about the European Scene and whatever I could find on the APAC scene (that included that Ashenmoor thread link).

I need more of our own people in the community to engage in doing video work for this format and post them on YouTube with Legacy in the tags. T2 dominates the YouTube landscape while Legacy only takes up 2 pages on a basic search.

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Dibs on umbowta's family's couch.
    Cousins, second cousins, or Uncles couch?

I just checked the University of Michigan website...looks like Spring break in Chicago this year for sure.

Thread Information